Author Topic: Forum categories  (Read 3505 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Forum categories
« on: February 04, 2004, 10:39:27 am »
This is just a bit of fun, but has anyone any better ideas for forum membership categories? The forum administration tools set titles for users based on the number of posts.

The default setting is fairly dry and are as follows ...

YaBB Newbie: (0-50 posts)
YaBB Jr. Poster (50+ posts)
YaBB Full Poster (100 + posts)
YaBB Sr. Poster (200 + posts)
YaBB God (400 + posts)

So they were changed to ...

Bronze
Silver
Gold
Platinum
Diamond

We are trying a new set of titles ...

Just getting started - (0-50 posts)
Opinions on some things - (50+ posts)
Opinions on many things - (100 + posts)
Opinions on most things - (200 + posts)
Opinions on everything - (400 + posts)

But can anyone suggest more appropriate member groups based on the number of posts?

As I say, this is just a bit of fun. Have the wags out there got any better suggestions?

;D
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
Re: Forum categories
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 11:01:44 am »
JET will need his own one - suggestions on a postcard to...

Opinions about absolutely everything on Earth3

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 06:36:48 pm »
You owe me a beer its in my little black book ;) ;)

By the way jet is jet not JET, he is not important enough for upper case ( head case?)

regards,
jet

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 07:05:37 pm »
This reminds me of an old saying - Never mind the quality, feel the width.  But who is to measure the quality of postings?

Offline supersonic

• Opinions on many things
  • Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 10:33:07 pm »
Ahhh.........posted my comment about the new 'status' tags in the wrong thread. Didn't realise then that this one was here. I'm waffling.......

The new tags are grrreat. A++

supersonic

Offline trinity

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 11:23:01 pm »
This reminds me of an old saying - Never mind the quality, feel the width.  But who is to measure the quality of postings?

Miraculous. I ask (in a different thread) how these are determined, and the answer is in the next thread I read (I tend to go from the bottom up, given that the list is most-recent-first).

There are no ways I can think of to judge "quality" the way a human does. Not easily, anyway. But there are ways that it can be done to some extent - "robot" moderators exist to do this (the newsgroup misc.kids.moderated uses one, for example). These score based on, for example ratio of quoted text to original, overall length, ratio of upper-case to lower case and of alphanumeric to nonalphanumeric characters.

You can also include a consideration of the number of replies that a posting gets, using a citation list built from "References" headers (though this is true for newsgroups, I'm not sure if it is for YaBB).

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 11:47:09 pm »
It is fairly primitive and based on number of posts made. A new version of the forum allows for 'karma' rating, where people can vote a person's 'karma' up or down, but I don't know of anything sophisticated enough in YaBB to work out the value of posts made. At some point we will update this forum to the new generation which has a lot more features, but not until we are sure we can run it properly.

:)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline trinity

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 01:11:33 am »
It is fairly primitive and based on number of posts made. A new version of the forum allows for 'karma' rating, where people can vote a person's 'karma' up or down, but I don't know of anything sophisticated enough in YaBB to work out the value of posts made. At some point we will update this forum to the new generation which has a lot more features, but not until we are sure we can run it properly.

Well, you're doing a very good job so far.

You get the YaBB sources, so you should be able to find the appropriate part and put in anything you want.

Tags: