Author Topic: Mystery structure in North Mymms  (Read 4550 times)

Offline Magicman

• Opinions on a couple of things
Mystery structure in North Mymms
« on: August 20, 2010, 05:11:16 am »
Greetings friends,

10 years ago when I was a young lad, I enjoyed the summer days walking around North Mymms. There is nothing more invigorating to the soul than a stroll around the English countryside. One day I chanced upon a strange tower and some odd looking farm buildings very close to St. Mary's Church. A picture of the farm buildings are here;

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=st+mary%27s+church+north+mymms&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=39.916234,92.724609&ie=UTF8&hq=st+mary%27s+church+north+mymms&hnear=&radius=15000&t=h&ll=51.72167,-0.229699&spn=0.000955,0.00283&z=19&iwloc=A

A picture of the strange looking tower is here

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=st+mary%27s+church+north+mymms&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=39.916234,92.724609&ie=UTF8&hq=st+mary%27s+church+north+mymms&hnear=&radius=15000&t=h&ll=51.719822,-0.232341&spn=0.000955,0.00283&z=19&iwloc=A

If you look at the first picture of the farm buildings, you will see a big white shed. Years ago, there was another tower just like in the second picture where this white shed now stands. It was clearly visable from the footpath near the church but it's obviously gone now. The farm buildings around it were obscured with foliage and weed growth. One looked like it could have been a small dormitory at one time. I remember asking my Auntie about the history of the area and she said that there was once something to do with the American military in the area around WWII and later there was a base for refugees or something. I've looked on the internet and there's no mention of either of these things in the area.

So, I'd be curious to know if anyone knows of any kind of American military structure or indeed what this mystery tower in the 2nd picture is used for. Was my Auntie talking sense years ago or was she a mad old bat?

Thanks, and bless you to all.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
Re: Mystery structure in North Mymms
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 08:17:09 am »
During the Second World War, some of North Mymms Park was used as a base for the American Air Force. Part of the House was used for rehabilitation of injured servicemen. After the Americans had left, some of the old nissan huts and other buildings were used as temporary accomodation for civilians who had lost their homes through bombing, whilst they awaited new homes being built in Welham Green. The area was then known as Hockey Lane. A lot of the old buildings including towers which were built for military purposes were then used for farm storage or demolished. Others remain but are redundant and are ruins. One tower actually in the Park, (which is a wooded area) it's not clear from the photos if this is one you refer to, was an estate water tower, which doubled as a dovecote. It is unused now. That can be viewed (from the outside) by the public when and if the Park is openned by its present owners. This happens at least one a year when the Red Cross are granted an 'Open Day' a tradition started by the former owners the Burns family and continued by subsequent owners.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Mystery structure in North Mymms
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 05:22:01 pm »
This story may help.

U.S. wartime billets mystery solved

http://www.brookmans.com/history/features/hockey.shtml
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Tags: