Author Topic: Restaurant Reviews  (Read 5646 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Restaurant Reviews
« on: January 31, 2004, 04:09:26 pm »
A post asking for opinions about a village restaurant has been removed. This site does not encourage restaurant reviews because of the danger of people abusing the facility to either promote or rubbish a restaurant for commercial reasons. We have found the safest way forward is not to allow posts that criticise or praise local services.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 04:10:13 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Simon_Barnes

Re: Restaurant Reviews
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 09:28:45 pm »
A shame really - is this because of the problem of annonymous writers?
Could we not just do away with nicknames for such sites, then all would be above board.
Or is the Newsletter at risk from libel allegations etc?
SB.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 10:07:41 pm »
Yes, it is all about the risk of someone writing something that is defamatory.

Click here to read site's editorial guidelines on this.

It's not always possible to verify the authenticity or motivation for such posts, and there is always the possibility that somebody would post to rubbish or praise for commercial gain. Rather than leave the forum open to the possibility of such abuse, I feel the best option is to discourage reviews.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 10:13:49 pm »
Mr Barnes, Simon - I agree with you totally that nicknames are a clever cloakscreen.  Mary Morgan is what you get.   But Editor  is right - this is not the place to discuss the merits of any eating establishment - I prefer green bacon, you may prefer smoked - not a good reason to knock or recommend a restaurant.   The only answer is try it yourself and take your own opinion.

Mary

Offline NZer

• Opinions on many things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 11:51:18 pm »
Is there somewhere one can get a list of eating places in and around BP with information on type of food served and rough price guidelines.  This would be especially helpful for occaisional visitors like me who are never around long enough to hear about them by word of mouth.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 12:13:32 am »
North Mymms eating places include ...

The Raj Tandoori - 662652/663259
The Pearl Fish Bar & Kebab House - 664664
The Gobions Restaurant - 653577
Jade Cottage Chinese restaurant - 649171
Wing Wah Garden - Chinese take away - 655134
Kurma - Indian take away - 649886
Methi Indian restaurant & take away - 662233/655200
Welham Green Tandoori & take away - 262682
Hong Kong Kitchen, Welham Green - 262709
Lotus Fish Bar, Welham Green
San Felice, Bell Bar - 649930
The Cock 'O' The North, Bell Bar - 653263
The Sibthorpe Arms, Welham Green - 262922
The Woodman Inn, Water End - 650502
The Old Maypole, Water End - 642119
The Hope & Anchor, Welham Green - 272787
The Builders Arms, Little Heath - 652119

This is not a recommendaton for any, but a list of most. Please add any missed out. Most  prices are as would be expected for the particular food range.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 12:15:18 am by admin »

Offline NZer

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 10:21:25 am »
Thanks, I'll keep a note of those and can ring them when/if I want to know more

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh. Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 10:40:31 am »
There is a new book out on eating and drinking in Hertfordshire.  Has a section on Brookmans Park / Hatfield  / PB area.  Not an exhaustative list, but a good book none the less, and can be picked up in the Brookmans, The Methi, and other places around the village.

It's about 8.

Perhaps, with the free advertising on the site, the publishers would allow excerpts to be posted?  THis would get round the problem of bias.

Failing this NZer, I'll post you a copy.

Aidan

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2004, 10:58:09 am »
Hi Aidan,

The trouble is that many restaurant reviews are often quickly out-of-date, sometimes based on one visit only, and usually reflect one person's preferences and tastes.

I think the best way forward is personal recommendation via word-of-mouth, or e-mail. I am always reluctant to recommend restaurants just in case the regular chef is either having a day off, or having an off day.

I am sure NZer would appreciate any recommendations made via the site's internal message system.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 11:01:43 am by admin »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2004, 02:22:01 pm »
There are some restaurants in Potters Bar providing what I consider to be good, reasonably priced food.  In fact Potters Bar is almost overrun by eating places.

More locally, daytime food is available at Cafe Redmonds, Dellsome Lane, and the Dutch Nursery.

With so many eating places available perhaps this is why the upper end of the market seems to be suffering i.e. proposals to convert San Felice into flats, and last year, I think, proposals to pull down Villa Rosa and build two houses.  The latter application was withdrawn.

Offline Margaret

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 10:06:04 am »
Nicknames are in fact a clever smokescreen to protect the users of this web-site from those who are not content with verbal abuse. I strongly suspect that most people who regularly use this web-site have a strong idea who everybody is, especially as they sometimes meet in the pub. So I see nothing wrong with using nicknames, in fact it brings a bit of variety and lightness into the site.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2004, 10:08:39 am »
I see nothing wrong with using nicknames, in fact it brings a bit of variety and lightness into the site.

Agreed Margaret, that is why nicknames are allowed. Anonymous users can still have valid views.

Offline Margaret

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2004, 10:13:49 am »
I agree with the editor about personal recomendations for restaurants, but as he says it can sometimes go awry. A group of us went out for a Christmas lunch to a local pub, on recomendation, the usual chef had the night off and the waitress we had was downright obnoxious, practically threw the meals at us and was most unhelpful when asked for something. One lady sitting next to me asked for some cutlery as she had none and the waitress said "well you had some" and stormed out bringing the cutlery only after having served everyone else. True it didn't ruin our evening too much we just had a good laugh about it especially as we know they are usually very good. But if it had been a group of first visitors, I bet they wouldn't go back.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2004, 02:41:41 pm »
The problem is that customers are sometimes under the illusion that they are important.
Best to just walk out :o
regards,
jet

Offline NZer

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2004, 09:24:06 am »
Thanks for all the helpful comments - maybe I'll just contact one or two of you just before I'm coming over next time.  There is so much competition in NZ now that most eating places are jolly good, or they soon go out of business!  :)

Geoffrey

re: Restaurant Reviews
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2004, 04:09:37 pm »
yes the editor does make a good point i agree

Tags: