Author Topic: The Brookmans Park Newsletter on Facebook  (Read 7534 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
The Brookmans Park Newsletter on Facebook
« on: March 30, 2010, 12:19:16 pm »
Just in case there are any regular forum users who are also on Facebook, I've set up a Facebook Group for this site.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=114130568600291

Anyone can be a member.

I have tried to set it up so that the latest forum posts go through to the group's wall as a feed, so those who prefer to discuss local issues on Facebook can do so there, and in the forum, too.

The wall is currently blank - although if I have set up the feeds properly this post should appear automatically.

David
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:40:52 pm by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: The Brookmans Park Newsletter on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 12:30:38 pm »
Unfortunately Facebook (and most other social networking sites) are blocked by many corporate networks - so I won't be able to access this at work  ::)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 12:56:15 pm »
And the trouble is, the feeds to the new Facebook Group all show as being posted by me, and all I did was set it up. Will have to do some deleting and fixing.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 03:02:13 pm »
Fixed it, the automated feeds are now going through to the new Brookmans Park Newsletter Facebook Group.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 05:43:57 pm »
If any of the local residents who have signed up to our new Brookmans Park Newsletter Facebook Group would like to be an admin, please send me a personal message using this site's message system.

David

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 09:21:13 pm »
David, I have joined but does that mean that all the postings to the Forum will also appear on my FB home page?  I don't want that as I think my "friend" messages will then disappear off the bottom of the page too quickly.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 09:24:56 pm »
David, I have joined but does that mean that all the postings to the Forum will also appear on my FB home page?  I don't want that as I think my "friend" messages will then disappear off the bottom of the page too quickly.

Not sure. I guess there will be a setting to block it. Mind you, there are probably only half a dozen posts a day.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 09:32:14 pm »
does that mean that all the postings to the Forum will also appear on my FB home page?

Should I disable the auto feeds from our forum to the facebook group?  Would that help?

David

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 09:39:18 pm »

I don't see how it would effect your FB page as totally separate.  Even anything posted on a group page would only show up in the news feed bit so you would have to post loads to make any difference (I think!)

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 09:41:20 pm »
I also think FB groups start off quite enthusiastically but then dwindle off after a while

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 09:49:00 pm »
I also think FB groups start off quite enthusiastically but then dwindle off after a while

I guess it will work for some and the forum for others. Anyone can post to the wall. Let's see how it goes.

Dave

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 09:56:01 am »

Hi Chicken Legs,

You can click 'hide' next to any posts to disable that feed. 

And on the subject of feeds I have been struggling to get them to update, so will try again.

Would the forum facebook users value the latest forum posts being fed through to the site's facebook group?

And anyone who wants to be an admin please let me know by personal message.

David

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 12:21:06 pm »

Would the forum facebook users value the latest forum posts being fed through to the site's facebook group?

David

My personal opinion is that it's not really necessary unless there's an incident or something major happening.  If there's too much on a subject it puts me off reading it - just my opinion mind!!

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 10:54:05 pm »
I have BP.com on my favourites toolbar and I log in at least once a day so I don't need the postings on FB, thank you David.  I will do the "hide" thing as suggested.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 12:05:11 pm »
A reminder that the Brookmans Park Newsletter has a Facebook Group.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=114130568600291

Any registered facebook members are able to access it and post on the wall.

At the moment there is an automatic feed of the latest forum posts (updated every 30 mins).

Just checked and there are currently 28 members.

If you join the group and don't want the feeds to update in your account just click 'hide' next time you see one.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 03:38:57 pm »
A reminder that this site has a facebook group. Only 35 members as yet, but it's quality not quantity that matters.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=114130568600291&v=wall

;)

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 04:01:54 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 06:59:59 pm »
There has been a steady stream of new friends for the Brookmans Park Newsletter Facebook Group recently.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=114130568600291&v=wall

All are welcome to join and post to the wall.

The group has an automatic feed of all the discussions taking place here on the forum, so if you are more comforable discussion local issues on Facebook you can do so in the group.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 10:39:06 pm »
I have set up a Brookmans Park Newsletter Facebook page for those who want to discuss local issues there instead of or as well as in this forum. Anyone can post on the wall.   There is a link on the front of the site with a 'like' box which will show a selection of those who like the page.  That link will take you through to the new page. Please feel free to use it.

We already had a Brookmans Park Newsletter Facebook group, see earlier posts in this thread, but it was suggested a page might be better. For now we will continue with both so people have the option.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 10:46:55 am »
I'm a little bit confused as it says 9 people 'like' this page but the links on the home page here always show the same 5 people - never the other 4  ???

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 04:42:34 pm »
I'm a little bit confused as it says 9 people 'like' this page but the links on the home page here always show the same 5 people - never the other 4  ???

Me too. It's not my code. I just followed the instructions on the Facebook page and copied it over. However, I have now increased the height of the box so that we get two rows of pictures. I did notice that some appeared twice, too. Perhaps it will sort itself out when more people 'like' the site. Interestingly, the forum has 191 Facebook likes. Pity we can't have the counter showing all those, too.  Will look into that.

Thanks for everyone's patience as I faff around trying new things.

;)

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 10:04:25 pm »
I wonder if it's to do with people's privacy settings on facebook?  Also, it doesn't show on the facebook page who likes the page so a bit odd that it does here.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 08:15:51 am »
For those who prefer using Facebook to this site's discussion forum, I have shortened the link to the Brookmans Park Newsletter's Facebook page to http://www.facebook.com/brookmanspark to make it easier to find and remember.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 01:37:01 pm »
A reminder that the Brookmans Park Newsletter is also on Facebook. All discussions in this forum also pop up on our Facebook page, so for those who prefer posting on Facebook, here is the page. Feel free to 'like' The Brookmans Park Newsletter page and post. Just click on the 'like' button in the box below and you are all set.

Tags: