Author Topic: Parking issues, solutions, action and fines in Brookmans Park  (Read 297934 times)

John_fraser

Re: Parking issues, solutions, action and fines in Brookmans Park
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2003, 10:22:08 pm »
6 years ago it cost £1 to park at Potters Bar. Today it costs £3.20. An inflation rate of of over 21% per year- about 10 times higher than actual inflation figure over the last 6 years. Do you think the car park there is that much better kept now then it was 6 years ago? or do you think that, because the goverement did not put restrictions of car park charges, they are being used as a cash cow?

I don't ever use the car park, but I object to the charges as it will encourage people to drive by putting up the cost of train travel.

TrueLies

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2003, 03:38:20 am »
Hi John.
WAGN's counter-arguement (is it they who own the land?) will be not to look at the percentage rise over the past 6 years, but the past 10, 15 or however far back it takes to make this past 6 years seem like a fair correction. Basically they are just jumping on the bandwagon to punish/ profit from the motorist.

I suspect motorists will now find a nearby street to park on where there are no charges. Sure residents will complain (if we're talking about dense populated areas) and the Council could take the approach of yellow-lining streets/ parking bays/ permit parking (which of course will cost the resident). That will move the problem somewhere else and the cycle repeats.

Good luck fighting this (you may or may not know that a single letter of complaint holds the same weight as a 5,000 signature petition). Surely the current lack of a Residents Association isn't helping here.

As an aside (and nothing to do with BP again), there are many big towns/ cities awaiting the results of the Congestion Charging scheme about to start and not solely for Mayor Livingstone's careers sake. Also, one of Livingstone's long term ideas is to convert Red Routes into 'Bus-only' routes at peak times - not a lot of people know that.

Anyway, how's the village free-parking situation?.
TL

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2003, 11:34:21 am »
WAGN's counter-arguement (is it they who own the land?) ...

A call has been made to North Mymms Parish Council to try to establish who owns the land. This site is still waiting for a reply. Perhaps if any councillors are reading this, or anyone else knows, they could post details in the forum or mail feedback@brookmans.com
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2003, 12:42:15 pm »
I am pretty sure that, at the time (many years ago) they originally put parking restrictions around the village green, residents were told that the car park would be a free car park and that charges would not be introduced at a later date.    I imagine there are references to this somewhere in old papers for the Parish Council, Ratepayers Association, District Council, Traffic Dept etc.

There again, I suppose no authority is going to be bound by something that was said 20 something years ago.

Mary

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2003, 02:51:55 pm »
Quick update on the issue of ownership.  The land was owned by BR. Ownership then moved to Railtrack and is now in the hands of Network Rail.  WHDC used to lease the land but the rate being asked was too high so the authority has let the lease go. Click here for an update on the station car parking charges issue.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

John_fraser

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2003, 03:10:05 pm »
Potters Bar has yellow lines for a ridicules distance from Darks Lane, but only to drive motorists into the council car parks, of which there are none in PB. Parking will become a problem in Westland Drive and possibly down Station Road Ė where the pavement will probably become the new free car park. Other roads may also suffer and donít be too surprised to have people block your drive all day. Iíve seen that happen regularly to friends who live near stations.

Normally Iíve no issue with driving motorists out of their cars Ė and welcome congestion charges, but this is a way of hitting motorists who want to leave their cars behind, use public transport and get some cars off the road.

Sadly if this is Network Railís doing, no amount of protest letters or names on a petition will make any difference.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2003, 06:11:47 pm »
What has our village got to do with the council.
Perhaps we are the only place left to mess up >:(
I suggest we declare independance like Pimlico did in the film "Passport to Pimlico" :). Its another case of interfeering jobsworths >:(
Congestion charges are "fine" if its someone else who is paying, for instance a certain Mayor will never pay them as he cannot drive ??? Reminds me of various  ministers who cannot drive, how can anyone get through life without being able to drive ???
Can someone tell me how an industrial salesman can leave his car at home, why should I oops they be taxed for working! its all right for these high paid city commuter chappies ;)
One rule for one and another for others. >:(
All are equal but some are more equal than others. >:(
regards,
jet
Rant of the week and its only Monday beat that YNH ;)

Offline Mooniemad

• Opinions on many things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2003, 02:12:43 pm »
I've recently passed my driving test and have now taken to the roads. So I feel it is now only fair I can now properly complain about other road users. The main thing I have noticed is the way people park in the village. In the Highway code it qoutes "DO NOT park your vehicle or trailer on the road where it would endanger, inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or other road users. For example : - opposite or within 10 metres of a junction, except in an authorised parking space. So why is it so many people park right of the corners. For instance when you enter The Gardens from Bluebridge there is always a car on the corner stopping you from entering the road of the left hand side. This means if there is a car leaving The Gardens then you are stuck on the corner with you rear out on to a main road. Sometimes it is not possible to actually enter the road at all and you cannot see round the row of cars parked there so you edge forward to see round them. The problem is when there is a car coming you have to reverse onto the main road which is also part of the highway code - "Do not reverse from a side road into a main road."

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2003, 05:40:27 pm »
Just to let John know,Wagn or Central Parking Systems have raised the charge again at Potters Bar to £3.30 per day.
At this rate it will be a fiver before you have time to read this mail >:(

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2003, 10:42:44 pm »
A campaign has been launched to try to ensure that shoppers are able to park near the village shops. Click here for more details

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2003, 01:23:55 pm »
If there's no where in the village centre to park then park round the corner and walk. However that is far too tough to do as it takes way too much effort. How about walking the trip instead of driving?

However I can understnad the idea. There is never anywhere to park.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 01:24:53 pm by Mooniemad »

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2003, 11:08:41 pm »
I think one of the troubles with this is that none of us want to see the pretty village green turned over to more parking, but it's just what it needs. If parking were easier people would be more likely to drop by on their way past.

It's a heathen thought, I know, but if people thought like that in the past we'd all now be driving over mud tracks ('cos it were good enough fer me when I were a lad) and the A1 Barnet Bypass would never have been built (so think how busy the Great North Road would be now!).

And keeping the narrow bit outside Statons two way whilst still allowing parking on one side is lunacy! Particularly for the ladies and their 4 wheel drives...... but let's not ventilate that one again, nor the mobile phones - Jet where are you when we need you?

Off thread but related - nearly got well squished on the bendy bit of Moffats this lunchtime. Stirling Moss decided his Merc didn't like going 35 in 5th so let her go, man (and nearly took me with him).

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2003, 11:10:30 am »
carrig on off thread but in answer to the last post,i have been constantly worried about about "the bendy bit in moffats"as i posted earlier this year.At least 3 out of every 10 times which is a very conservative estimate i have to break hard due to the speed and ignorance of on coming drivers.I'm sure a few years ago there was a mirror which people cud use to see on coming traffic and may be a few "slow down bendy bit of road"signs wouldn't go amiss

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2003, 11:37:18 am »
I think one of the troubles with this is that none of us want to see the pretty village green turned over to more parking, but it's just what it needs.

I spoke to two shopkeepers yesterday and both suggested the larger of the two village greens be paved over and used as a village car park.

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2003, 11:39:38 am »
and why we're at it why don't we concrete over gobions.
There has to be another solution without spoiling the village

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh. †Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2003, 11:56:17 am »
I think there are several areas where extra parking could be fitted in without too much of a degradation of the village centre - The pavement outside the petshop/Wing Wah/Methi/eyecare centre could be narrowed by 6-8 feet and have diagonal parking at the roadside.  The opposite side of the road, where there is already parking, could also be expanded slightly so that cars could park at 45 or 90 degrees to the road.

This wouldn't alter the village centre too much, but would create a reasonable number of extra spaces.

Or people could just walk to the village and not have this problem...

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2003, 03:06:32 pm »
Perhaps we could operate a park and ride system from the station  car park if people really have problems walking all the way from their homes.......  ::)

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2003, 03:09:19 pm »
I think there are several areas where extra parking could be fitted in without too much of a degradation of the village centre - The pavement outside the petshop/Wing Wah/Methi/eyecare centre could be narrowed by 6-8 feet and have diagonal parking at the roadside.

Aidan, quite a few cars already park on the pavement there without all the roadworks needed to carry out what you suggest.

TrueLies

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2003, 05:36:09 pm »
A campaign has been launched to try to ensure that shoppers are able to park near the village shops.

I still lurk and the link didn't work for me. Let me say this as I still know nothing about BP obviously. I understood there was already parking facilities outside the shops. I bet it's shopkeepers themselves who prevent customers from parking. Shopkeepers want a  village green turned into a car park - do you think the Council will make this free parking or pay & display (I know what I think)?. If you have a situation of a pay & display car park and free parking outside the shops, where do you think shopkeepers will park?.

A campaign?. What to ensure shopkeepers make a minimal effort to attract customers?. Sounds like a bypass to the real problem.

TL
p.s. This place isn't the same without Jet about. I feel he would relish a deserved campaign situation, which I don't think this is.

BigJohn

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2003, 11:23:28 pm »
The center of the village looks nice and a car park will ruin it. All it takes is for shop keepers to free up the spaces and for people to be willing to walk a little.

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2003, 04:43:47 pm »
The last couple of times I visited BP, one bloke had parked his 4 wheeled drive monstrosity so that it stuck out from the curb about 2 foot.  If this wasn't bad enough, he actually 'popped' into the estate agents on that tiny road next to Holywood hair.  Thereby blocking off access to all the cars to drive by and use that that road to turn round in the village.

The next time, there was a small space inbetween to parked cars outside where the vets is.  Perhaps if you were a VW Polo you might have reverse parallel parked there.  However, some bloke drove in front end first and parked half on the pavement and half on the road at a 45 degree angle.  I stood there in shock looking at his appalling parking and his "couldn't care less attitude".

Makes me wonder how anyone could have had the audacity to complain about me parked infront of the sleeping policeman!!

Birch

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2004, 12:43:10 pm »
I'm new here so apologies if this has been discussed before but it winds me up so much when I walk along and have to squeeze between the cars parked on the pavement and the wall or hedges of the houses. †

I think Moffats Lane is particularly bad for this problem especially near the bends by Gobions entrance. †

What is the matter with these people that they cannot walk more than 5 yards.

>:(
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 12:43:48 pm by Cassie »

Offline trinity

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2004, 04:18:42 pm »
It is remarkable just how antisocial cars are. There is parking on pavements. Filling the green with parked cars so that there isn't any room for customers. Cluttering up residential streets all day when there is a perfectly serviceable car park.

And that is before we start to consider the things when they're actually moving.

Mad_Dad

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2004, 05:52:36 pm »
And don't forget the grass verges that they destroy.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2004, 10:45:44 pm »
Does anyone know what happened to the campaign, launched in November last year, to try to encourage shop keepers and their staff to leave parking spaces in the village for customers? Click here to read that story. This thread, and the other on The End of the Shops in the Village are clearly linked, but it might be best to keep parking posts here so people can be reminded about what has aleady been said.

Offline Margaret

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2004, 01:13:03 pm »
Don't know what happened to it but it seems to be working, have managed to park easily for the last 4 or 5 days. Hope I wasn't just being lucky.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2004, 07:01:56 pm »
It was interesting to see the reaction to the appearance of two traffic wardens around Bradmore Green this lunchtime. As they walked round in their yellow jackets taking numbers, people were scuttling out of their shops and moving their cars up Brookmans Avenue. There must have been cars for about 100 yards parked on the left going up the avenue. I wonder if the visit was a one off, or a sign of a fresh determination to tackle the village parking issue?

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh. †Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2004, 07:06:06 pm »
This is the biannual visit so that we don't think we've totally been forgotten by the council.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2004, 10:52:43 pm »
So what good does a parking ticket do apart from cause resentment.
First come first served.
It is the peoples village after all and we all have cars, so who has any more right than anyone else to park.
regards,
jet

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2004, 11:15:54 pm »
It is the peoples village after all and we all have cars, so who has any more right than anyone else to park.
regards,
jet

Hi jet,

The issue seems to be not about peoples' right to park, but the length of time they park for. According to some shopkeepers in the village, those who park there all day are denying customers parking spaces and, in turn, costing the local businesses revenue through lost trade. This added to the competition they face from out-of-town stores and it adds up to quite a problem.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 11:16:15 pm by admin »

Tags: