Author Topic: Parking issues, solutions, action and fines in Brookmans Park  (Read 315470 times)

Offline aqueous transmission

• Opinions on some things
  • liquid communication ... simple really
    • digitalblasphemy
Parking issues, solutions, action and fines in Brookmans Park
« on: September 04, 2002, 10:01:47 pm »
It came to my attention last thursday (29th) morning (11am) that whilst being driven through the village by my dad...that there was a severe lack of parking. My dad wished to park up and quickly nip into Meyer's to buy a copy of the Daily Mail...alas there was nowhere to park. every space was filled with a vehicle of some sort. Ironically, the one space that looked empty then revealed a previously hidden motot scooter!

So we had to return home where my dad then took a walk down to the village which is no problem at all.

It just got me thinking about other places that could be converted into parking in the village. Possibly the streach of pavement spanning from the petshop to the dry cleaners. Could this possibly be turned into the style of parking places seen outside Alldays. as i remember this used to be a layby-style affair a few years ago before they re-modeled it.

what do all you motorists think? seeing as currently i am only a provisional motorist, and therefore an onlooker in this situation.

just an idea,
                   aqueous, future driver and user of the village
'to obtain a bird's-eye is to turn a blizzard to a breeze'

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
Re: Parking issues, solutions, action and fines in Brookmans Park
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2002, 12:15:45 am »
Haven't you answered your own question?

So we had to return home where my dad then took a walk down to the village which is no problem at all.

If everyone else did that, we wouldn't be needing all the parking spaces anyway :)

Possibly the streach of pavement spanning from the petshop to the dry cleaners.

People do park on this section of pavement anyway - there's a lowered bit of the kerb off the layby outside Kurma which you can get onto it by.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Mallow

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2002, 03:46:26 pm »
Yes I agree with James, but if walking in the first place in not an option, how about using the car park - or am I just being silly?  There is room for about 100 cars and it is no more than 100 yds from the village shops.

Just a thought! :)
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2002, 03:53:52 pm »
What car park and where?

Birch

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2002, 04:16:56 pm »
The car park is near the station - sometimes known as the station car park.  It is in fact council land and not Railtrack, hence why it is free to park there.  There is an ongoing debate, I am told, between Railtrack and the council as to who should provide CCTV.  Railtrack say no because it is nothing to do with them. The council say it not a station car park.  Hear say - not my words.

Regards,

M
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

MikeL

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2002, 04:36:42 pm »
Aqueous

Surely your father has hazard warning lights? By switching these on you can park wherever you like ;)

Offline Margaret

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2002, 12:42:37 pm »
I was down the village the other day to do some shopping before work and all the parking places were full and I thought great, people are using the shops, but having been in most of the shops and looked in the others, I only saw three other customers, so who is parking in the village? ???

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2002, 01:06:18 pm »
Are space aliens abducting drivers in the village :o
How do the cars dissapear later ???
Is this a Livingstone plot :o
regards,
jet
Or horror of horrors are shop workers using cars?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2002, 01:07:51 pm by jet »

Tony_Collis

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2002, 02:36:02 pm »
Not wishing to start a war, but I have noticed that some of the shopkeepers and their staff park outside their own shops in the few available spaces. Fine you might say, but when it stops a genuine shopper from parking and therefore purchasing goods from the village shops, I find this situation somewhat strange.  ???

I often hear comments that we should "Support our Local Shops”, which I fully agree with. But, when I choose to use my car to visit the local shops and I can’t park because the shop keepers and their staff have taken all the best parking and then they expect us to walk, carrying our purchases, in my case just over half a mile, (I know, it’s not very far, but it’s the principle) I find it ridiculous.  :o

If I’m not mistaken, is there not a, ”One Hour Parking” restriction around the village green, which I presume was originally implemented to stop people parking all day and thus allowing shoppers and visitors easy access to the local shops.  ???

I seem to recall that one of the key selling points when the out of town super stores opened, was the availability of ample and convenient free parking, along with a greater range of products all under one roof. No cues, no carrying the items purchased in the previous shops and a shopping trolley to carry all your purchases back to your conveniently parked car.  

Just my own personal observation…………………….. ::)

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2002, 07:43:21 pm »
 Can someone please explain where the new influx of cars are going to park once the vetinary clinic opens?

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2002, 02:59:11 pm »
And... where are all those nervous dogs going to relieve themselves before their visit to the vet.  JET's front lawn is much too far away.

M ;D

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2002, 06:30:13 pm »
Whats it got to do with me ???
It seems I get involved even if I don't want to 8)
How do you know that I have a front lawn? Oh of course its the only one that has not been blocked over!
My cat reckons dogs are stupid and that there are plenty of huge 4WD wheels to as you politely say relieve themselves against.
Mind you if so many trees had not been cut down they would have plenty of places to go >:(
How can a Vets fit into such a small building? where will all the punters park their 4WDs and RRs :)
regards,
jet
There you go 5 digs in one post and none of it my business ;D

John_fraser

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2003, 12:30:29 am »
I am very annoyed that the local council, at the behest of a “rail company”, should consider adding charges to the car park. It seems to be common sense that Rail Companies should encourage people to travel by car. But car parks, who’s charges where not given even the slightest protection during privatisation, are seen by the rail companies as a easy way to hike the travel. Potters Bar’s car park’s prices more than triple in the last eight years. This just encourages people to drive.

So why has a rail company raised the issue? Do they feel that they are losing money by people driving to BP instead of PB? If so, the council should tell them to take a hike. The car park is not maintained, so it costs nothing to them. It is one of the few benefits the BP receives from the council and if people do drive here because its free, then it is probably brining some custom into the village shops and pub.

MikeL

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2003, 03:06:02 pm »
If they do introduce charges for the car park it will make life a misery for the residents of Westlands, Oaklands & other roads near the station. It will become virtually impossible to park in any of these roads during the working day.

Offline Strad

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2003, 03:05:47 pm »
Dig up the Green. Then you will have more parking spaces and less grass to cut.

TrueLies

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2003, 12:35:59 am »
Hi.
Maybe I should've found this thread earlier  ;). As suspected, a parade of community shops with no interests other than their own. You'll be telling me the Council rarely enforce the restrictions next.

Jimmy, who's waging Jet's and John's blood pressure have just ticked up a bit.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2003, 08:01:39 pm »
It's official.  Motorists are going to have to pay to park at Brookmans Park station.  more details
« Last Edit: January 23, 2003, 08:03:24 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2003, 08:20:02 pm »
and of course the commuters will just pay up, whatever they ask ;)
Walk to the station and let their ticket machines rot >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Only lucky I suppose that it has not been sold off to a developer, now theres an idea :o :o :o
and everyone thought Zorro was a bandit, legalised railway robbery.
A rant to at least equall anything that certain other forum members can do ;) ;) ;)
regards,
jet
See BP is not never never land, it just takes time for the world to catch up  ;D
and as for the chap above, what a poser, pity he has not got an aeroplane to lean against :P
« Last Edit: January 23, 2003, 08:21:27 pm by jet »

John_fraser

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2003, 10:31:08 pm »
I didn't think WAGN owned that land, so how comes it can charge?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2003, 10:33:15 pm »
Good point John, perhaps another operation will manage the space.  I have change the text because it was misleading.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2003, 10:35:02 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2003, 03:29:07 pm »
The cheapest peak-time ticket for parking at Brookmans Park Station is to be a day-ticket, expected to cost in the region of £3.20. More details ...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2003, 06:28:19 pm by admin »

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2003, 03:41:35 pm »
I think it's completely wrong to impose charges for this sort of thing. Surely anything to encourage park and ride travel is good. This only encourages yet more cars onto the road.
I'm not affected directly as I live near to the station but have a suspicion that there are going to be a lot more cars parked along my road as a result.

It will be interesting to see how full the car park is when the charge comes in.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2003, 04:35:57 pm »
I would love to think that with this £3.20 charge (on, I think I am correct in saying, land given to the community for use by the community  - sorry for stealing your strapline Dave) there will be resufacing, no stolen cars left to rot, and cctv cameras for added security.  However I imagine they will just charge for the sake of it and make no improvements whatsoever.

I really hope to be proved wrong, however I shall take Jet's advice and no longer drive the 120 yards from my house to the satation in protest.   ;)

Aidan

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2003, 04:52:21 pm »
All the prices quoted in the main article are the current prices at Potters Bar.  But (if there are any spaces) there is an after 10am charge of £1.00.  That is also the weekend rate.

If they charge the same for Brookmans Park more people wll drive to Potters Bar (same car park charge but cheaper ticket and more trains to choose from).

I'll watch with interest to see the final charges.
ex resident - now living in New Zealand

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2003, 05:11:42 pm »
Carolyn,
Thanks for that.  I have just checked with WAGN and they say that Brookmans Park would be treated no differently from other stations and that an off-peak (after 10am)  charge would apply, probably around the £1 mark - although this has not been confirmed.  I have updated the news item with that information.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2003, 05:29:06 pm »
I agree sasquaritch, it beggars belief, but at least Aiden will now be taking more excersise than bending his elbow :)
The only answer is not to park there. I have personally never shoped in PB or used the main line since charges were introduced, yet the road is crammed with parked cars all paying their bit, why? all it take is a bit of direct action, do'nt use the place and the charges will go!!!
As an old timer I can remember when the fare was £3.20 and you got enough change for the pictures and a fish supper, now those were the days, did I ever tell you when.... drone......ramble........ :) :) :)
regards,
jet

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2003, 06:12:19 pm »
Golden opportunity here for Brookmans Park hotel to allow free (or heavily subsidised) parking in their car park now then!  ;D

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

John_fraser

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2003, 06:54:32 pm »
Can I ask everyone to spend 10 minutes this weekend writting a protest letter to their councilers and protest at the removal of this facility.

http://www.welhat.gov.uk/council/councillors.ihtml?search=Brookmans%20Park%20and%20Little%20Heath&step=4&type=Ward

stephen.boulton@welhat.gov.uk
john.dean@welhat.gov.uk
bill.storey@welhat.gov.uk

I imagine, that to force commuters to park there, they will paint more yellow lines around the village.

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2003, 11:02:30 pm »
You're quite right John, as I said to the missus last night, she can now park in Westland Drive or something and at least get some exercise, but then she reminded me of what happened in Potters Bar (just one big CPZ now). So what about a decent bike shed where they don't get vandalised or stolen.

Don't WAGN want any passengers (sorry, customers)?

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Govvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2003, 03:32:16 pm »
In theory,

if every person that worked in the village started parking in the carpark allowing all the normal parking spaces for customers. There really shouldn't be a problem for village parking.

If wagn say the carpark isn't there problem, does that make it right for everyone to be anoyed?

If the carpark is pay and display, the money must come back into the carpark so that it is of a certain standard that meets regulations for a pay and display carpark.

I really don't see a problem with it.

Tags: