Author Topic: Parking issues, solutions, action and fines in Brookmans Park  (Read 315300 times)

Offline Rocket

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Re: Parking issues, solutions, action and fines in Brookmans Park
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2006, 01:14:49 pm »
I agree, that we should all park with all four wheels on the road!
Prams when obstructed by a vehicle parked half or fully on the pavement, should 'accidently' leave a long scratch by the pram, along side the offending vehicles! ;)

Rocket

Offline mungroo

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2006, 10:02:06 pm »
maybe you can get those piked attatchments to put on pram/buggie wheels - just like Ben Hur

Offline mungroo

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2006, 06:55:12 am »
I meant *spiked*

Offline Mooniemad

• Opinions on many things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2006, 10:33:25 am »
These links are pretty funny viewing. They came up at work and received alot of interest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4794198.stm

http://warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month

Offline Rocket

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2006, 12:59:28 pm »
Nice to see the Traffic Warden back on Bradmore Green this morning!!! :icon_jokercolor:

Offline Rocket

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2006, 09:39:13 am »
It came to my attention last thursday (29th) morning (11am) that whilst being driven through the village by my dad...that there was a severe lack of parking. My dad wished to park up and quickly nip into Meyer's to buy a copy of the Daily Mail...alas there was nowhere to park. every space was filled with a vehicle of some sort. Ironically, the one space that looked empty then revealed a previously hidden motot scooter!

So we had to return home where my dad then took a walk down to the village which is no problem at all.

It just got me thinking about other places that could be converted into parking in the village. Possibly the streach of pavement spanning from the petshop to the dry cleaners. Could this possibly be turned into the style of parking places seen outside Alldays. as i remember this used to be a layby-style affair a few years ago before they re-modeled it.

what do all you motorists think? seeing as currently i am only a provisional motorist, and therefore an onlooker in this situation.

just an idea,
                    aqueous, future driver and user of the village
Asuming you've now passed you test, don't for one moment think of parking on the pavement between the Lavendula and Dry Clearners, as  that area is private property :(
Hope you dont drive against the NO ENTRY signs that are now in operation, like some motorists are still doing! ::)

Offline Fiona

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2006, 12:28:29 pm »
Hello Rocket.
Having asked the same question myself, I was informed that should the council convert pavements to parking they would install pay meters, which would probably kill off some local trade.

Does anyone know if this is the case?

Offline Rocket

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2006, 12:49:31 pm »
Hello Rocket.
Having asked the same question myself, I was informed that should the council convert pavements to parking they would install pay meters, which would probably kill off some local trade.

Does anyone know if this is the case?
Hi,
Since free one hour parking meters have been introduced in Potters Bar I now always manage to find a free one hour space. Surely that must be good for the shop keepers. The sooner that idea is introduced to BP, the better, ::)

Offline Rocket

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2006, 10:44:08 am »
I know that villagers have a right to park on the yellow lines in the village. Even when there are parking spaces available.  But please could they also ensure that they block the dropped kerbs for pedestrians as well.

This way they can bugger up the flow of vehicles through the village and make it difficult for Pedestrians.

Motorists, do NOT have the legal right to park on a yellow line between the hours of 0830 & 1830 Monday to Saturday!!
Single yellow lines mean NO WAITING or STOPPING!

Offline Gashead

• Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2006, 12:25:03 pm »
I think the post may have been a tad tongue-in-cheek but a point well made, there are an awful lot of people who think that yellow lines don't count for them. Top of Peplins Way and green end of Bradmore Way (personally) the worst spots - am I allowed to buy and use my own wheel clamp? If Brookmans Park ever declares UDI we will be able to finance it on parking tickets alone.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2006, 12:27:10 pm »
There has been a case of local residents in Brookmans Park painting their own yellow lines, but the paint faded and everybody ignored them because they were not straight and were clearly painted by a local DIY enthusiast.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Rocket

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2006, 12:42:13 pm »
There has been a case of local residents in Brookmans Park painting their own yellow lines, but the paint faded and everybody ignored them because they were not straight and were clearly painted by a local DIY enthusiast.

David
What ever next!

Offline Abbot

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2006, 11:15:28 am »
Praise for the little car that was parked on the yellow line outside the dry cleaners yesterday.

Stopping people driving into the village, and causing a long queue of Mothers and Fathers taking their little ones home.

Are we allowed to post pictures of cars parked, and create a poll for the most inconsiderate driver?

When will the webcam come back??

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2006, 11:35:06 am »

Are we allowed to post pictures of cars parked, and create a poll for the most inconsiderate driver?

Hi Abbot,

I am afraid not, we don't encourage the posting of pictures or details that could identify someone - although it's very tempting.

The best thing to do in a case where people are driving inconsiderately is probably to jot down the number and report the incident to police.

There is also a site where you can report an obstruction to the pavement or highway and add the details there.

http://www.hertsdirect.org/actweb/faultreporting/viewall.cfm

David

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2006, 11:40:33 am »

When I find some time.... sorry......

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2006, 11:29:46 pm »
I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that we have had a traffic warden in the village.

Does anyone believe that we have a problem with parking in the centre of the village.   Whenever I need to park I have had no problem.   

Obviously people working in the shops need to park somewhere but most of them have parking at the back of their premises,  or in the case of the shops opposite the green on Bluebridge Road, the pavement at the front of their premises and the odd ones who regularly park on the road are not really a major problem.   

The problem I can see with parking limited to one hour is obvious when the warden is around as you see women with wet towels and tin foil on the heads dashing back to their cars to move them, presumably to park them outside the houses with no parking restrictions.   One hour is generally not enough time to have your hair done, particularly at one establishment in the village!

The alternative for local shop keepers and their employees is to park in the surrounding roads which does not go down well with the residents.

So what exactly is sending a traffic warden to Brookmans Park intended to achieve?

Offline Nonloso

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2006, 06:55:01 am »
Perhaps it might stop people parking on the pavements.

Offline mungroo

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2006, 07:54:53 am »
The problem I can see with parking limited to one hour is obvious when the warden is around as you see women with wet towels and tin foil on the heads dashing back to their cars to move them, presumably to park them outside the houses with no parking restrictions.   One hour is generally not enough time to have your hair done, particularly at one establishment in the village!

What exactly is the issue ? Is it that you are simply are not allowed to park for more than an hour or that you have to pay after the first free hour (like Potetrs Bar) ?

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2006, 05:27:15 pm »
I think you are mistaken about Potters Bar.   You can park free on the street for one hour as long as you display a ticket.   There is not an option for parking any longer on the street.   That is ok if, as in Potters Bar, there are pay and display car parks should you need to park for longer.   The problem in Brookmans Park is that parking is limited to one hour.   As I said, not everyone's business in  Brookmans Park can be carried out in an hour and therefore if you are going to have one hour parking restrictions at least give visitors to the village the option of paying if they need to park for longer.   That is the issue.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2006, 08:06:24 pm »
I agree an hour isnt always long enough. the only times I think it gets too busy down there are Saturday mornings when I have time to park away and walk usually or when there is a delivery lorry covering half a dozen spaces.

I dont evny those delivery guys coming to a small village but if we could stop them altogether I think it would be a good thing.

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2006, 06:33:48 pm »
I dont think we can complain about delivery lorries in the village.   After all, if they didnt deliver, the shops would have no stock, people would'nt use them and the village would die.

ottoD

« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2006, 08:02:28 pm »
The parking, sometimes within 5 metres of the junction with Bluebridge Road is a dangerous hazard. I am surprised that the blue Volvo estate, that seems to regularly reside at this location hasn't been hit.

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2006, 12:04:25 am »
You are not the only one to pick up on this. I nearly had an accident there this morning. A large lorry was coming into The Gardens as I was oming to the end of the road, but as the Volvo was on the end, the lorry had to cut the corner and therefore block the road for me. As a result the lorries backend was half way onto Bluebridge too. I think a notice on the lamp post there maybe needed.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2006, 08:44:53 am »
It's caused me huge problems too, the worst being a few weeks ago when coming back from the village I couldn't turn into The Gardens because the Volvo was right on the end and 2 cars were waiting to get out into Bluebridge Road in the other lane, so the road was effectively blocked. Naturally I didn't pull across as there was nowhere to go, so I had to pull up and wait, but the car behind me was  full of 'young ladies' who clearly thought it their right to continue ahead without impediment and I was subjected to a volley of foul-mouthed abuse and threats. My children were very distressed by this.

Another concern is the manoevre when one wants to turn left into The Gardens coming from Potters Bar If there is a car on the end (here I'm being careful to say it's not always the Volvo), I have to pause before making the turn so as not to crash into a vehicle coming the other way up the Gardens. Countless times I have nearly been run into from behind by other drivers, travelling too close, too fast and not anticipating that I may have to pause in this way. If the car weren't parked on the end, I could easily pull into The Gardens with no problem.

I'm absolutely sure that the Highway Code stipulates that one mustn't park within 10 metres from a junction and there is a good reason for that.

I think the car belongs to someone on the other side of Bluebridge Road who doesn't want to park in their own driveway, but still wants it close at hand. Probably not a bad person, but a bit thoughtless .....

Offline Bob

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2006, 01:03:53 am »
Perhaps a polite note on the windscreen would point out the error of their ways  ;)
Bob

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2006, 10:07:40 pm »
I think you will find that there are many cars, often dog owners walking in  the woods, who park their cars in The Gardens.   The Volvo owner, as with all car owners who pay their road tax, is entitled to park on the road.   Parking is not exclusive to residents of the road in question.  Generally when I have passed The Gardens, as I do probably six or so times a day, if the Volvo is there, which it often isnt, it is generally parked level with the house and not that close to the corner.   I do believe there is an over reaction here as regards causing a "huge problem".   Perhaps a little tolerance is needed.   If it is really causing a problem, as Bob said, a polite note on the windscreen would probably do the job.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2006, 08:28:17 am »

I don't believe that any of us have said that the Volvo owner is not entitled to park in The Gardens have we? Or indeed any car? What we have said is that cars - often the dark blue Vovo - park too close to the junction thus causing problems for those of us driving into and out of The Gardens (not just 'passing by').

Bearing in mind that this has been going on for quite some time, I think that 'a little tolerance' has already been more than adequately shown.

I'm not really in favour of leaving a note on the windscreen, because to be scrupulously fair, one should then leave a note on every parked car within 10 metres of the junction - not really practicable. A friend of mine thinks she knows the owner and has volunteered to talk to her, so no notes yet!

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2006, 03:29:34 pm »
Yesterday I drove to WG station and saw a very large notice for charges for the car park.  Does anyone know if this has been implemented yet, and if there is anything we can do to change FCC minds about charges?  I remember that WAGN was going to once a couple of years ago but never did it in the end.
Has anyone seen a notice for parking charges at BP?

I think a fairer method would be to give out a free parking permit to anyone who purchases a weekly, monthly or annual season ticket, and charge all those on a daily or those who park from the Industrial Estate.  Why is it again, the commuter who gets penalised? Revenues from actual commuters from WG would be small in comparison to PB. 

The car park always looks full because of staff from the industrial estate park their cars there.  More than half the car park is use used by them and sometimes real commuters, if you arrive after 8.20am, can't park because of them.  >:(

Max

« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2006, 07:06:19 am »
As a fairly frequent visitor to Westland Drive, I have often had problems (not huge ones, it must be said) with thoughtlessly parked vehicles in the Gardens.  I can't remember if there are yellow lines where the Gardens joins Bluebridge road. If not, why does anyone suppose that this is the case? It seems to me that this would be the obvious solution to the problem.

Offline Gashead

• Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2006, 09:57:25 am »
As residents of Peplins Way will attest, yellow lines have zero effect. A traffic warden with an extra large wodge of tickets is what is needed.

Tags: