Author Topic: Parking issues, solutions, action and fines in Brookmans Park  (Read 298590 times)

Offline PC Jo Wakelen

• Opinions on some things
  • Log on to message me using the email icon below
    • Hertfordshire Constabulary
Re: Parking issues, solutions, action and fines in Brookmans Park
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2006, 05:32:41 pm »
Hi everyone,
This is a matter that up until now I ws unaware of.  I will look into the problem and deal with it appropriately. 

This may mean that tickets will be issued and action taken by police where appropriate.

I will keep you updated with my findings.

Many thanks

Jo
PC Jo Wakelen, the community police officer for Brookmans Park and Little Heath. For all emergencies, please call 999. For non-emergencies, please calll 0845 33 00222. To contact our local office, ring 01707-638112.

moggins

« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2006, 09:24:11 pm »
what a terrific idea, absolutely brilliant, there's revenue to be garnered so lets roll our sleeves up and get stuck in, maybe the funds raised could offset the cost of the community support officer mooted during the summer months.

Max

« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2006, 08:03:12 am »
Well, that is a very good example of the benefits of having the local Police officer participating in this forum. Thanks Jo.

Shouldn't be difficult to stick a couple of yellow lines down and check occasionally that no one is parking on them (this could also be done for those that are apparently being ignored in Peplins Way.

I don't see this as being a great source of revenue, though, as I imagine that most of us do not park on yellow lines anyway, and those who do will be swiftly discouraged by getting a ticket or two.

Offline Silver

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2006, 04:50:14 pm »
In addition to parked cars at the entrance to the gardens, there is also the problem of the entrance to Oaklands Avenue being obstructed by cars parked outside the Church, when there is a large car park they could use.
Both these roads are quite busy with all the residents of Oaklands, Westland and the gardens coming and going. It would be good if people could park a little more considerately.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2006, 05:05:49 pm »
A planning application has very recently been refused for a bunglaow at the end of the rear garden to the house on the western corner of The Gardens and Oaklands.  Apart from everything else, it was refused on grounds of the reduction of parking.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2006, 10:58:18 pm »

Can I ask people to PLEASE be more careful about parking in the Gardens towards the BB Road end, and in particular, when there is a row of parked cars already on one side NOT to park your car on the other side!!

Parking in this way leaves only one car's width for other vehicles to squeeze by in and this afternoon a bus got stuck in The Gardens for 15 minutes just because of this.

A neighbour and I, both of us with cars blocked in our driveways by the trapped bus and with children to pick up from school, had to run up and down the road knocking on doors to try to find out the owers of the cars involved.

I'm not a happy bunny!   >:(

Offline Bob

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on many things
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2006, 12:02:00 am »
What would have happened if a fire engine needed to get through  ::)
Bob

Offline Mark_Eric

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2006, 07:19:18 pm »
There is currently a similar problem (to the one mermaid mentioned) in Bradmore Way. A car, I think it is a Vauxhall, keeps parking on the yellow zig zag lines outside the school gates, whilst somebody opposite parks quite close to them. The gap is very narrow. I am sure a fire engine would not be able to get through. They also run the risk of having their cars hit by somebody trying to navigate through the gap. Its a simple lack of common sense or consideration. :( 

John_fraser

« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2006, 08:30:29 pm »
I think if a fire engine wanted to get through it probably could. I doubt the driver of a fire truck, packed with tons of equipment and water, would need to think for very long about how to make a small gap a bit larger.

Offline Bobb

« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2007, 03:12:30 pm »
It seems we're back to square one with the inconsiderate parking. >:(

A Silver Fiat, the Volvo and a few others are parking so close to the corner that I had a near miss the other day when I had to pull up sharply to let a car out and a young driver going way too fast almost smashed in to the back of me.

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2007, 06:41:09 pm »
The other problem is people are starting to cut the corner in anticipation of cars being parked there and subsequently blocking the road.

Max

« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2007, 10:35:31 am »
LOL John. The very same thought occurred to me.

What on earth was a bus doing in the Gradens? That never used to happen when I lived in BP!

Offline Gashead

• Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2007, 12:51:41 pm »
On the subject of back to square one and inconsiderate I see there has been another outbreak of can't-walk-uphill-itis again. People who insist on being dropped at the top of the station ramp even though it means stopping on a blind bend and virtually a blind hill as well. There is also a variant strain, can't-walk-downhill-itis, afflicting those who need to be picked up by cars parked immediately on the village side of the bridge. I'll be interested in hearing the excuses when there is a head-on prang.

Offline PC Jo Wakelen

• Log on to message me using the email icon below
    • Hertfordshire Constabulary
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2007, 09:08:56 am »
Hi there,
I'm aware of the residents concerns regarding the parking in The Gardens.  Recently when I have been down there the main corner where most of the problems have been happening appears to be clear.  However, I am not going to be complacent and think all is well in the road.  Regular checks will be made by myself and Steve Harvey the PCSO  for the area and tickets for obstruction etc will be issued. 

In the case of an emergency vehicle needin to get down the road and being unbale too, they will simply nudge the offending vehicles out of the way. 

If people are still experiencing difficulties or new problems are occurring, please email me and let me know.

Many thanks
Jo
PC Jo Wakelen, the community police officer for Brookmans Park and Little Heath. For all emergencies, please call 999. For non-emergencies, please calll 0845 33 00222. To contact our local office, ring 01707-638112.

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2007, 04:09:56 pm »
I was told that within the next couple of weeks FCC are going to install a new ticket machine in the car park at WG. However, the last one apparently was vandalised - you can't buy tickets if the machine is broken.  I wouldn't mind paying as much if there was some sort of security there, only last week the station was vandalised and a car broken into.

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2007, 10:40:26 am »
Well, FCC have leased WG station car park to NCP and have installed the parking meter, but strangely no clear signs for charges.  Have parking charges been introduced to BP yet?

Offline Carrie

« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2007, 12:21:47 pm »
Does anyone know whether there has been a request made for residential parking/permits on the Green for the residents of the flats?  I have just had my 3rd penalty notice as there is limited parking behind the Dental Surgery so I have had to park on the road recently. >:(

kay barnes

« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2007, 07:12:31 pm »
I can't tell you the answer to this but as a resident of the flats, I can tell you that  we find it impossible to park in the village.
One of the reasons, seems to be the fact that local businesses park their vehicles there.  I've noticed they keep a look out for wardens and only move their cars and vans when they spot them

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2007, 05:37:41 pm »
Bradmore Green suffers from an increasing number of people who want to park there but a finite number of parking spaces.  Shopkeepers complain that if shoppers cannot park near the shops will lose business, become financially unviable and close.

Apparently, Welwyn Hatfield Council is unlikely to change the way it enforces the current parking regulations, or to modify the regulations.  A one-hour free parking as in Potters Bar would need a whole raft of regulations etc which would cost money which is not in the budget.

One shopkeeper who shall remain nameless told me that the council street warden comes round twice with an hour or so inbetween visits, so that he/she can check which cars have overstayed the one-hour parking limit.  Shopkeepers and their staff see the warden making the first round, wait till he/she has gone and then they move their cars.  That way they do not get a ticket, unlike Carrie who is presumably away at work during the day.

Could an answer be to use part of the wide pavements to create more of the side-by-side style of parking bays like there are outside the Co-op?  Do we need such wide footpaths?  Would we be willing to give up part of the grassed areas to create more side-by-side parking spaces?

A suggestion for Carrie.  Demand that your landlord provides you with your own space at the rear of the Dental Surgery secured by a lockable metal collapsing pole.  The planning approval must have been given on the basis of allocated parking at the rear of the building.  If your landlord does not do so, why not deduct the cost of the fine from your rent?  ;)  Get tough.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 05:42:37 pm by Bob Horrocks »

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2007, 07:45:17 pm »

Demand that your landlord provides you with your own space at the rear of the Dental Surgery secured by a lockable metal collapsing pole.  The planning approval must have been given on the basis of allocated parking at the rear of the building.  If your landlord does not do so, why not deduct the cost of the fine from your rent?

If the flat is rented out without a parking space then I can't see why the landlord would be under any obligation to provide one or pay any parking fines.

Possibly flats with parking command higher rents ?

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2007, 11:55:47 pm »
Kay,

We have a small business on the Green.  There are a number of options available for parking.

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on: November 02, 2007, 12:13:25 am »
Kay,

Sorry about the previous post.   I hit the post button by accident before I had finished.

We have a small business on the Green and whilst we have parking available to the rear of our business it is very rare that our spaces are available when we arrive in the morning, usually the residents of the flats above leave their cars there during the day whilst they are at work.

We therefore have a number of options.

1.  Park on the Green and when we see a traffic warden, run out and move it to .......

2.  The residential streets on the outskirts of the Green.   Unfortunately if we do this
     too often then there is the possibility of a note (not always polite) being left on the
     windscreen or, as has been the case malicious damage caused to the cars.

3.   The station car park where, if there is a space available, we will park it amongst
      the broken glass from car windows previously broken into in this unsecured car park.

We do understand the problems of the limited parking spaces in the village but we do need to get to our business in the morning and we do need to be able to park our cars all day.

I have thought that perhaps the wide pavements, particularly on the left as you drive into the village, would be ideal for side by side parking, and perhaps the parking outside the Post Office
could be extended to the corner of the road.

I dont really know what the answer is but we all have our reasons for needing to park in the Village.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #142 on: November 02, 2007, 05:24:17 pm »
Since my previous posting I have been shown that the pavement outside the Post Office etc has services under the pavement which makes it too expensive to relay the services and widen the roadway for parking.  However, that still leaves a reduction of the grassed areas to allow new parking bays.  What do you think?  Any other ideas would be welcome of course.

Sasquartch said
If the flat is rented out without a parking space then I can't see why the landlord would be under any obligation to provide one or pay any parking fines.

Possibly flats with parking command higher rents ?

I repeat my original thought that planning permission would have required a parking space for the flat so why not demand it.  Even if it costs a bit more in rent it must be worth it for the security of having a dedicated space.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 05:27:31 pm by Bob Horrocks »

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #143 on: November 02, 2007, 07:41:49 pm »
Bob

Not all of the flats in Station Close have garages. There are no allocated parking spaces for Station Close residents either.

Possibly as the flats were built in the 1950s or 1960s parking wasn't a condition of planning permission being granted, although the yellow lines outside weren't there either.

However, the fact remains that a landlord of a Station Close flat would not be in position (assuming it had no garage) to offer a tenant a parking space even if he wanted to regardless of whether a tenant 'demanded' it.

I am sure there are thousands of flats in London with no parking provision.

If you have a car and rent a village centre flat without a garage or allocated parking spot  you can park legally in the side streets, certainly cars are parked down Peplins Way by people that don't live there. Not ideal I know but there isn't really an alternative, I certainly wouldn't be happy leaving a car parked in the station car park.

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on: November 02, 2007, 10:42:18 pm »
I dont understand why no parking is allowed on Station Close.   It would certainly make it easier for people visiting the local shops to have that extra bit of parking available.  Restrictions could be for 1 hour.

I am aware of one resident there who phones the traffic wardens as soon as a car is parked outside her flat and the man in the grey van turns up almost immediately.   

There are many people, mostly elderly, who need to be dropped off and picked up from both the hairdressers and the osteopaths and often Station Close is the only available place.

A little tolerance for five or ten minutes by this resident would make it a bit easier for everyone and would certainly make her more popular with her neighbours.

Offline Carrie

« Reply #145 on: November 05, 2007, 01:34:22 pm »
I was informed when I rented the flat that there was no parking space available but that the area behind the flats was ok.  However, the Dental Surgery occupies 5 of these spaces (with clamping warnings) and I was reminded (not very nicely either!) on Saturday that this land was private property.  The rest of the land round the back of the flats is more like a small area of wasteland for the bins etc which you can at a push get 2-3 cars on - which are usually taken up by the rest of the local businesses.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #146 on: November 05, 2007, 05:09:38 pm »
Carrie

Permission was granted in 1990 for an extension over the existing showroom to form a first floor flat, and conversion of a maisonette to form two flats with car parking.  On the face of it you should have a parking space presumably at the back of the building.

The Welwyn Hatfield Council planning reference is S6/1990/0588/FP.  I suggest you contact the council and ask them to check back on this approval.  My feeling is that the car parking was for the flats as well as the business.  The details on the council website do not give any more details.

Address - Planning Dept, WH Council, Council Office, Campus East, Welwyn Garden City AL8 6AE.  Or phone 01707 357000 but obviously the planning officer will have to dig into the archives, assuming they still keep the paperwork.

Offline Gestapo

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on: November 06, 2007, 10:09:03 am »
WGC station does NOT have a car park run by FCC, Howard centre car park is run by Howard centre, multi storey and open air car parks are council run.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #148 on: November 06, 2007, 11:23:15 am »
Think we may be confusing Welham Green with Welwyn Garden City........................

Offline Merri

« Reply #149 on: November 08, 2007, 08:24:56 pm »
By charging to park at Brookmans Park station it would ease some of the inceased numbers of cars coming to BP to park for free,in turn it will help keep some parking spaces for shop staff and of course the shoppers!! Without whom we wont have  an active village at all.

Tags: