Author Topic: The Hipgave family  (Read 4437 times)

Offline katie

• Opinions on a couple of things
The Hipgave family
« on: February 26, 2010, 06:18:11 pm »
I have just found your website, and must congratulate the web masters as such an informative site.  I have just started tracing my family tree and it led me here.  I am very new to this and do get a bit confused but in the 1871 census and the 1881 census and the 1891 census my great grandfather William Hipgrave lived in Church Lodge, Pancake Hall Road, North Mymms.  This is obviously part of a big estate, but I am not sure what estate.  He is listed as a platelayer on GN & R and in the later census, a watchman.   In Dorothy Colville's book, their is a brief mention in Chapter 8 of constructing a footpath from Welham Geen to Hipgrave's Lodge.  On the front page of the history section, Canadian Richard Gillions has written about tracing his Great Grandmother Jane Hipgrave who had re-married, well she re-married my Great Grandfather, whose wife had died.  Anyone who can give me any more information about anything, I would be most grateful.  I must visit North Mymms in the summer, you sound a very close knit community.  If anyone could tell me if Pancake Hall Road still  exists, that would be nice. :-*

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Re: The Hipgave family
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 05:35:08 pm »
It may now be called Dixons Hill Close since Pancake Hall still exists on that road, although it is not what you might imagine a 'hall' to look like.  It is a fairly normal looking detached house.  Dixons Hlll Close is just outside the boundary of Welham Green, off Dixons Hill Road and runs down the the A1(M).  It may well be the original road between Welham Green and Colney Heath village before the A1 was built.

It was not part of a big estate, far from it.  The name 'Church lodge' is curious indicating that it should be near St Mary's Church, the parish church of North Mymms.  There is a lodge house at the entrance gates to the road leading up to North Mymms church.   If you search on Google Maps or similar for the Post Code AL9 7TA you will see the church and be able to follow the access road westward to the lodge.

That lodge, and the nearby Octagonal Lodge (entrance to North Mymms Park) was a location used in a 1930s Will Hay film according to a member of the 'Where there is a Will' Will  Hay appreciation society who contacted this website a few years ago.

Offline katie

• Opinions on a couple of things
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 06:52:57 pm »
Thank you Bob, that has been very helpful.  On looking at the 1861 census, I have just noticed that it says Church Lodge, Dixon Hill, so I am glad that it still exists. I will certainly look up the postcode you have given me. 

Offline NMLHS

• Opinions on many things
  • North Mymms Local History Society informant
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 02:49:22 pm »
Dear Katie, I would guess that the Lodge you mention is indeed the one at the entrance to the drive up to St. Mary's, North Mymms.  The post code for the church is AL9 7TN.  If have an iPod touch or iPhone, the application "OldMaps' will ingeniously give you maps of the area in various years from the 1890's to 1930's showing the way that what is now Dixon's Hil Close joined up with Tollgate Road and St. Mary's Road before it was cut by the A1M.  Where the three roads join, about 700 yards east of the church, is where the Lodge is.  On the present day map the lodge is to the west of the A1M and Pancake Hall is to the east of the A1M where Dixon's Hill Close and Dixon's Hill Road meet.  Now 54, Dixon's Hill Close I think.

Tags: