Author Topic: A1(M) resurfacing  (Read 20217 times)

John_fraser

Re: A1(M) resurfacing
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2004, 11:53:42 am »
There is never any point sending out junk.

Also, how did my wife get this junk mail when she is registered with the Mail Preference Society?

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2004, 06:18:21 pm »
There's always a tricky path to be steered by those of us in public service.

If you fail to communicate, then people naturally say that they've no idea who you are, what you're about or what you've been doing -- so they won't generally give you their support.

If you do communicate, well you've indicated the relevant dangers.

Personally I'd rather err on the side of asking people for their views and comments, as this leads to better representation of the public view. I happen to find the feedback genuinely interesting too.

With reference to the Mail Preference Service (MPS), unlike the Telephone Preference Service (TPS), the MPS is a voluntary code. We run our own opt-out postal list, but your wife should be aware this would mean that no material would be received, even in an actual election campaign.

Since postage is expensive, we mail very infrequently (once a year across the whole patch perhaps). Any other newsletters you receive are delivered door to door by volunteers.  So far there are no restrictions on posting something through a letterbox.

Hope that's helpful information and if your wife did want to be on our specific exclusion list then simply call 01707 262632 which is the Conservative office in Hatfield. As mentioned, this will mean no communication, even at election time.

In the interest of balance, if you want off the Labour list, their number is: 01707 262920.

Grant Shapps
Conservative Parliamentary Spokesman

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2004, 08:55:10 pm »

Grant Shapps
Conservative Parliamentary Spokesman

I understood this to be a non-political forum!

Grant, I find your continuing attempts to hijack this forum as a soap-box for your own political ambitions and electioneering ends to be offensive in the extreme.

I hope the editorial team can be persuaded to take a closer look at your repeating efforts to manipulate your contributions to your own political advantage.

supersonic

John_fraser

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2004, 10:49:10 pm »
Grant, I am very unimpressed by your answer. As my wife said “I am on the Mail Preference Service and the Telephone Preference Service. Why would anyone think it’s a good idea to send me unsolicited mail?”

My own personal view is that I expect more of a person “in public service” than to do only what the law requires. It may be a voluntary code, but people go on it for a reason. You may want to err on the side of asking, but you are certainly erring. I haven’t received one of your letters – yet – and I have no wish to, but I can still get your “message” just fine. It’s you who needs to get the message here. People who register with the MPS are saying very clearly to all purveyors of junk mail: “if we want more information we’ll ask for it. Don’t call us, we’ll call you.”

I already registered with the MPS. I don’t see why I have to go through the trouble and expense of calling every organization lacking in the expertise or sense to use them. And in the interests of balance, the Labour Party, Liberal Democrats, Greens or any other party sending me junk mail will receive the same diatribe.

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2004, 01:07:27 am »
Supersonic,

I have absolutely no wish or desire to turn the forum into a political soap box. None whatsoever.

I was asked a question by John Fraser and answered it. Full stop.

Since I live in Brookmans Park I think it's been established that I'm as much at liberty as any other resident to post on this forum.

In the interest of responding to the question asked, I posted a balanced, completely non-partisan and factual response without making any poltiical points.  In fact, I even included the other sides phone number for good measure.

I'd welcome a ruling from the moderator, but other than the fact that this is off subject for this particular A1M noise thread, I really can't see the harm in establishing facts.

Whilst I don't normally include my position in posts, I did on the occasion above, but it was relevant to John Fraser's points and put my response in context.

John,  thanks for your comments, I'm passing them on to our office both locally and nationally for their consideration.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2004, 09:06:38 pm »
The site's editorial guidelines deal with this issue. Click here to view them.

If anyone feels the guidelines are not strict enough, are too strict, or are not being applied fairly, please add your comments to this thread, or send me an email. Click here to send me an email about this issue. The editorial team will consider any responses.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2009, 08:52:40 pm »
I don't know if anyone else has noticed but the A1M has gotten QUIETER !!!!!!!!
The southbound carriageway has been covertly resurfaced in the wee small hours by the magic fairies.
Well done Mr Shapps , perhaps your campaign worked in the end.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:14:13 pm by epiphany »

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2009, 12:03:08 pm »
I don't know if anyone else has noticed but the A1M has gotten QUIETER !!!!!!!!
The southbound carriageway has been covertly resurfaced in the wee small hours by the magic fairies.
Well done Mr Shapps , perhaps your campaign worked in the end.

It's been a very long road (pun intended), but around 85% of the Motorway through Welwyn Hatfield has now been resurfaced and all of that with the whisper quiet asphalt which makes a very significant difference.  There are still sections to go and the noise is still dramatically different depending on how heavy the traffic, the road conditions (weather) and direction of wind, but I've definitely noticed an improvement around N. Mymms.

You can get further information on the Quieter A1M campaign which has been running for very many years at http://www.shapps.com/forum/index.php/topic,3396.msg39037.html#msg39037

Grant.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2009, 02:00:20 pm »
I thought something was different in Blackthorne Close, behind the Hatfield Oak Hotel in Hatfield. I just thought the traffic on the A1(M) must have been stationary or it was closed, but it seemed to be quiet every time I went out. It seemed so much quieter.

Been seeing the fleet of lorries and closures in recent nights and it is still ongoing. Now put 2 & 2 together!!

Doh! ::)

Excellent!

Offline Oly

• Well, I say
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2009, 10:10:56 am »
I have noticed its quieter now, I live along dixons hill road in welham green and even with the window open at night its quieter.
I noticed about 2 weeks ago they closed the a1 from the hatfield university site roundabout, and it was prob closed up to south mimms.

Its an improvment, I can here the traffic now but it is the daytime so what the heck  :)

Tags: