Author Topic: Noise reduction service offered by local council  (Read 11349 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Noise reduction service offered by local council
« on: April 11, 2002, 10:35:16 am »
A user of the Brookmans Park Newsletter has e-mailed asking whether information about domestic noise pollution could be added to the site. The National Society for Clean Air and Environment Protection has information on line. The organisation has specific advice on domestic noise pollution including barking dogs, loud music or TV, shouting, banging doors and DIY activities click here and a section on bonfires click here
« Last Edit: April 11, 2002, 10:49:12 am by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

chazz

Re: Noise reduction service offered by local council
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2002, 06:01:34 pm »
There is nothing wrong with the noise pollution in brookmans park so do we actaully need a forum dedicated to this site?

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2002, 06:15:07 pm »
Depends on your point of view,
regards,
jet

Astra

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2002, 02:41:01 am »
As a newcomer to this site (I used to post often on the old format) I welcome a Noise Pollution topic.  

I was raised in North London and during the day there was always someone asleep, if not in our house, then one of the neighbours, because of night shift working.  We were taught to be polite and respectful to these neighbours and to keep quiet so that thay could get their rest.  I do not feel that I was deprived of free expression (which seems to be all the rage at the moment) I was taught to repect other peoples privacy and their right to peace and quiet within their own homes.  Local parks were meeting places for us where we could run about and make as much noise as we wanted whilst playing on the swings etc provided.  Also our mothers would meet and catch up on the news.

Nowadays parks are not utilised as they were in our day.  They are a large dog toilet carelessly used by local residents who think that dog mess on such a large area can be left because it wont be noticed and I dont blame any parent for not wanting that trodden through their house.  Parks are also frequented by some pretty strange people also.  Least said the better.

Because there is nowhere to take the children to make a noise does not give the parents carte blanche to inflict their noise on overy other living soul for a 200 yard radius.  These parents have got to understand that their noise does not stop at their fence.  Screaming children will one day scream for real - wanting assistance - and people will walk past thinking that they are just another screaming kid - out of control.  Loud music does not suddenly dissapear when it comes to a boundary fence.  It travels and it travels far.  Music is a very personal thing.  Your musical is not necessarily mine and vice versa.  I do not inflict my music on you - why do you inflict it on me.  I do not inflict screaming kids on you - why inflict them on me.  I do not sit outside you house with my car stereo blaring - why do you do this to me.

I moved here because this is one of the nicest areas in the country and believe me I looked everywhere before moving to this house in an effort to protect my privacy.  When I moved here the three houses on either side of me were occupied by older if not elderly people and it was bliss.  Within twelve months two families with small children have moved in and destroyed my home.  Their noise invades my living room, kitchen, bedroom and even my toilet.  It couldn't be noisier if they were screaming inside my house.  What can I do.  Hope that one of them reads this and realises that I am talking about them. I wont hold my breath.  Sorry they are too thick skinned to even care.  They do not think that they are doing anything wrong.

If the sun is shining when I leave work, I know immediately that I will get no peace until at least 7.45.  That means that I cannot eat my dinner in peace or even have a cup of coffee in front of the television to unwind without their constant intrusion.  I rpay for rain some evenings and weekends just so that I can get some peace.

So Chazznit,  this is why a noise pollution forum is so important.  There are many others in this village who are also sick and tired of the intrusion on their privacy and that is exactly what it is.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 09:12:21 am »
News release just in from Welwyn Hatfield Council.

PRESS RELEASE: 28 September 2009

Racket abuse

Noisy neighbours can cause headaches in their neighbourhood in more ways than one!  Excessive, unreasonable or distressing noise can lead to disturbed sleep, invasion of privacy and even illness!  The law enables local authorities to assess noise, establish whether it constitutes a noise nuisance, and to take action against main offenders.

Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council deals with noise complaints, such as loud TVs, parties, noisy pubs and animals.  The council advises residents experiencing unreasonable anti-social noise to:

1. speak to your neighbour and ask them, politely, to reduce their noise
2. if this has no effect, keep a diary of when it happens and what noise occurs
3. contact the council on 01707 357000 to discuss the situation and what can be done to alleviate the problem.

Together with the police and neighbouring Hertsmere Borough Council, the council also runs Operation Reprise. 

On Friday and Saturday nights between 10pm and 3am, the operation team that consists of environmental health staff and Special Constables, manage incidents of noise nuisance.  Residents experiencing noise nuisance from a premises can contact the team, by calling the police’s low level crime, non-emergency, telephone number 0845 3300 222.  Callers should state that they are being disturbed by noise.

Councillor Mandy Perkins, Executive Member for Environmental Health said: “If you are suffering from anti-social noise, and asking your neighbour to turn the volume down doesn’t work, then the environmental health team is on hand to help enforce your request.  When all else fails, the team can really help neighbourhoods to get a good night’s sleep.” 

Welwyn Hatfield Neighbourhood Inspector Ian Grout said: “It is about using a common sense approach and being considerate to your neighbours.  For the few people who insist on causing a nuisance, we will consider arresting them, which may result in a criminal record.  Operation Reprise, which involves our Special Constables (volunteers with full police powers) working closely with the council’s environmental officers, has been very successful in addressing issues before they get out of hand.”

Excessively noisy neighbours are encouraged to be respectful to others in their neighbourhood and appreciate that not everyone shares their same tastes or passions for loudness.  Tips for literally keeping the peace include:

* give neighbours notice of any upcoming parties (where possible)
* keep music volume low
* place speakers on something soft to absorb vibration
* keep speakers away from adjoining walls
* keep doors and windows shut
* if someone objects, be respectful and turn volume down.

Repeat offences could lead to prosecution or seizure of noise making equipment.

.../ end of council news release.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 06:30:39 pm »
Just got this news release in from WHC.  But I wonder why they are focusing on students?  Adults can be just as loud as demonstrated in several threads in this forum.

12 September 2011

Noise service stepped up for the start of term

Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council is working with the University of Hertfordshire to provide an extended out-of-hours noise nuisance service for three weeks, over the start of new university term.

The service will operate from Sunday to Thursday, 10pm-3am from 16 September until 8 October. This additional service extends the existing noise nuisance service, provided by the council and the Police, which already operates on Friday and
Saturday nights.

Residents should call 0800 111 4484 during for an out-of-hours response. To report ongoing noise issues, during office hours, residents should call the council on 01707 357242.

Councillor Bernard Sarson, Executive Member for Public Health, said: “Last year we received 74 calls during the start of term period, the majority of which were dealt with on site. However, seven noise abatement notices were served to deal with the
more serious cases. By implementing the extended service once again, we hope to address residents’ concerns that start of term ‘boisterousness’ and ensure that it doesn’t become a cause of distress and upset.”

ENDS/PR/11/098

Notes to editors:

The council has powers to deal with noise that causes distress, called Statutory Noise Nuisance, from many different sources including houses, pubs and factories, parties, animals, and car and house alarms.

The number to call for the extended hours service is 0800 1114484. The Operation Reprise (year-round, Fridays and Saturdays 10pm to 3am) service number is 0845 3300 222.

Ongoing noise complaints (during office hours, 9am-5pm) should be directed to the council’s Environmental Health team on 01707 357242.

For more information about how we work to deal with noise nuisance, visit http://www.welhat.gov.uk/neighbourhood/noise.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 06:38:28 am »

Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council Offices - Noise

Offline Bedlam

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 06:06:56 pm »
Thanks for the up on this, the dog barking dept will be getting a call.

Offline larrylamb

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 07:39:37 pm »
And the early fireworks dept!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 12:13:20 pm »
A local resident messaged the site via our Facebook page to ask whether anything can be done about noisy neighbours. They claim to have a neighbour in Brookmans Avenue who has loud and late parties which "keep me and my children awake". I sent them the link to the Welwyn Hatfield Council page on noise and thought it might be worth sharing again here in case others are having similar problems.

Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council Offices - Noise

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 06:14:22 pm »
This issue is continuing to be discussed on our Facebook page.

Tags: