Author Topic: Herts police drink/drugs drive campaign gets underway  (Read 22807 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Herts police drink/drugs drive campaign gets underway
« on: January 07, 2004, 02:51:48 pm »
I am going to put up a new lead story today about the drink drive figures for the festive season.

I will then refresh the 20-acre field story on Monday night when I hear back from BH after the NMDGBS meeting.

The 20-acre field story can sit there all week, being updated on the Friday as the close for objections approaches.

We can then run a new story the following week. Any ideas welcome.

Dave
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Herts police drink/drugs drive campaign gets underway
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 03:27:51 pm »
Police have welcomed the drop in festive positive drink drive tests locally, but say there are still too many drivers willing to take 'shocking' risks.

Click here for full details.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 04:29:36 pm »
So the vast majority of accidents are caused by sober drivers!
regards,
jet

Offline Alfred the Great

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 11:34:01 pm »
I notice that they only tested people who had had accidents, but I'm sure they used to test at random, or at least when someone was all over the place.

Mind you, they could raise ££££££££££'s by setting up shop outside each pub at closing time and testing everyone as they drove off..........

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline trinity

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 01:21:47 am »
I notice that they only tested people who had had accidents, but I'm sure they used to test at random, or at least when someone was all over the place.

I *believe* that random testing as such has rarely if ever
been authorised. Having said that, AFAIK the police do have the
power to demand a test should they have reasonable
grounds for suspicion. So, if they witnessed reckless or
otherwise dodgy driving they could so demand whether an
accident happened or not. Similarly, if they pulled you over
to "have a chat" and you reeked of beer, they'd again have
reasonable grounds.

Not that I'd find random testing any bad thing. Just as I'd be
in favour of, for example, 10-yearly licence requalifications.

Mind you, they could raise ££££££££££'s by setting up shop outside each pub at closing time and testing everyone as they drove off..........

ATG

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 02:36:30 pm »
Drink driving figures over the festive season 2004/2005 are down for the second year running, but police warn that too many are still prepared to take a risk with the own lives and the lives of others. Click here for the full report.

PBHistory

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 06:20:35 am »

I *believe* that random testing as such has rarely if ever
been authorised. Having said that, AFAIK the police do have the
power to demand a test should they have reasonable
grounds for suspicion. So, if they witnessed reckless or
otherwise dodgy driving they could so demand whether an
accident happened or not.

Police only have the power to demand a specimen of breath if:

• they have reasonable grounds to suspect driver has alcohol in their body
  • the driver has been involved in an RTA
  • the driver has committed a moving road traffic offence (speeding etc)

I was hit by a drink driver just over a year ago, I was fuming when I smelt it on her breath.  How on earth she didn't kill either herself or me I do not know.  The cars were a total write off.  I have no time for people who get behind the wheel of a car after drinking.  A year ban?  Make it minumum of 5!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 06:21:54 am by PBHistory »

Offline Margaret

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 11:49:06 am »
PBHistory
Sorry to hear you had such an unpleasant experience, hope you suffered no permanant injury. I do agree with you though, anybody who gets in a car knowing they have been drinking should get an immediate 5 year ban.

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 03:31:21 pm »
With regards to random tests, Police have recently been setting up base on the exit/entrance to the University of Hertfordshire on major social nights and everyone who leaves is tested. From what I have seen there have been many students stopped and given fines or whatever.

Nick

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 05:21:26 am »
So should pedestrians who step into the path of a vehicle also be prosecuted for being intoxicated?

Offline trinity

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 01:02:29 am »
So should pedestrians who step into the path of a vehicle also be prosecuted for being intoxicated?

It would presumably count in the motorist's favour should they
be required to defend themselves in court.

More to the point:

1. A cyclist, who is at other times a motorist,  guilty of a "drink-cycling"  offence will, I believe, find that to the detriment both of their driving licence endorsements, and motor insurance.

2. One would assume (if on no other grounds than I've never seen a hungry lawyer) that even absent a specific criminal offence, a civil action could well be brought by a motorist who was the victim of the incident caused by the drunk pedestrian's behaviour.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 04:38:09 pm »
This news release has just been mailed to this site by Hertfordshire police.

POLICE EXTEND CHRISTMAS DRINK DRIVE CAMPAIGN
By Corporate Communication Dept

HERTFORDSHIRE Constabulary is once again warning drivers not to be complacent about drink driving over the Christmas period.

This year’s Christmas drink drive will be launched on December 1, 2005, and runs until January 2, 2006. During this campaign officers will be targeting drivers who flout the law and risk injuring other road users by driving whilst under the influence of drink or drugs.

Last year’s campaign saw the percentage of drivers who gave a positive breath test fall for the second year running. During last years campaign (December 18 2004 to January 2 2005) 1918 drivers were required to give breath tests, of which 192 tested positive (10%). The year before saw 640 tests administered and 75 people testing positive (11.7%).

All drivers who are involved in collisions, commit traffic offences or who are suspected of having consumed alcohol will be required to take a breath test. To support the campaign marked and unmarked cars will be used for patrols to assist officers in detecting drink drivers. Dedicated teams of officers will be setting up drink drive controls the county to support the campaign.

Those who provide positive tests could find themselves facing;

• A minimum of a 12-month disqualification for anyone convicted of drink driving, as well as a fine and/or imprisonment.
  • The offence of causing death by careless driving whilst under the influence of drink or drugs now carries a maximum penalty of 14 years’ imprisonment and a disqualification of at least 2 years.

/news release ends.

John_fraser

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 05:31:35 pm »
Do I take it that after 2nd Jan the police will not be looking for “drivers who flout the law and risk injuring other road users by driving whilst under the influence of drink or drugs?” And if a driver is “suspected of having consumed alcohol“ they will not be “required to take a breath test?”  By February will the “dedicated teams of officers” have become complacent?

Those caught in December “could find themselves facing… A minimum of a 12-month disqualification for anyone convicted of drink driving, as well as a fine and/or imprisonment” “Could face” and “Minimum”! “Could” implies that they may face something else, but “minimum” implies upwards of this. Should be “If convicted they will face a minimum of …”

The next sentence “Those who provide positive tests could find themselves facing… The offence of causing death by careless driving whilst under the influence of drink or drugs now carries a maximum penalty of 14 years” just doesn’t work..

BTW please don’t take this as me condoning drinking and driving - I’d happily see the penalty for drink driving changed to having both knee caps broken so that these idiots could experience something of the injuries they risk inflicting on others – but we paid someone to write and send out this rubbish.

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 08:53:46 pm »
Drink driving campaigns are a police/government PR exercise. They are as traditional as all the other festive trimmings. Undoubtedly more people drink drive in the summer that during the winter months and Christmas.

Drunk driving is probably more prevalent amongst the 30+ generation whilst the younger and firmer are more likely to drive under the influence
 of drugs. It is true that this is also an offence but there is no roadside test for this menace.

Violent crime attracts greater media attention and consequently this is where the constabulary’s resources will be focused. The police must be wishing that Santa will this year oblige them with a GATSO camera that can photograph motorist with blood shot eyes.

Campaign, don’t believe the hype.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:55:21 pm by nightlondon »

Offline PC Jitu Davé

• Opinions on some things
  • Those logged on can IM me (below).
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 09:32:36 pm »
People can be tested for drugs as well as drink. The intention behind the drink drive campaign is to make people aware of the dangers of drink driving and to save lives.

Offline bazza

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 11:48:44 pm »
PBHistory
Sorry to hear you had such an unpleasant experience, hope you suffered no permanant injury. I do agree with you though, anybody who gets in a car knowing they have been drinking should get an immediate 5 year ban.

We all know the risks, all know it's against the law and why it is against the law. Drink and drive should equal life ban, no excuses. Driving is a privilage, not a right. There, rant over.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 08:04:34 pm »
Herts police say they are going to clamp down on speeding, drinking and other motoring crimes over the festive period. Click here for more.

Offline Dubhagan

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2006, 05:21:24 pm »
Why just the Festive Period?
Dubhagan.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 08:49:51 pm »
Since you can now be extradited to the US on no evidence at all I am surprised Tony hasnt thought of giving 28 days in clink to anyone failing a breath test (which is some evidence after all) in December. That way no-one would drink drive and accident rates and fatalities would drop to not much at all. The only flaw I see is he hasnt got round to making enough room by letting all the killers and rapists out yet but maybe it could be put in place for next year as a sort of lasting legacy.

Meanwhile I could put up without the money grabbing for seatbelt offences but good luck to the boys in blue on the mobile and drink drive front.

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 09:48:01 am »
The Police seem to use the same slogan every Christmas. Where do they find all the extra Policemen/women from at Christmas time?
I think it is a scare tactic. Good idea though and lets hope it works.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 11:24:40 am »
So the police are using the same slogan aagain.  Thank goodness they have not spent money on devising a new one which would be basically the same as the old one. An American visitor was most taken by the 'Kill your speed' signs.

Christmas would not be the same without a don't drink and drive reminder.  It is now a tradition, like turkey and mince pies.  There are always new drivers each year, as well as we oldies, who benefit by this reminder.   

Has Peter Hastings been caught not wearing a seatbelt, I wonder?  Without wishing to off the point, the child booster seat crime is what bothers me should I have to transport my grandchildren.  Some people seem fated to be found out if they cross the legal line even by an inch.

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 10:30:03 pm »
On the subject of the new booster cushion law.   I was thinking of buying my mum one for Christmas, she is only 4'11" and I am sure it would make it easier for her to see over the steering wheel! ;D

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 12:45:38 am »
Great idea - as long as she's under 14 years old !

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 07:16:15 pm »
Just in from Herts Police

January 16, 2007
CHRISTMAS ROAD SAFETY CAMPAIGN RESULTS
By Susie ODea

THE PERCENTAGE of drivers who gave a positive breath test over the Christmas period in Hertfordshire has fallen for the fourth year running.

During the Constabulary’s Road Safety campaign, which ran from throughout the month of December 2006, 2429 drivers were required to give breath tests, of which 170 tested positive (7%). In addition, 6565 fixed penalty notices were issued for speeding offences, 356 for failure to wear a seatbelt and 289 for use of mobile phones whilst driving. In additional to fixed penalty notices, a number of vehicle defect rectification scheme notices were issued for offences such as defective lights.

Last year 2102 tests were administered and 201 people tested positive (9.6%).

Road Policing Chief Inspector Nigel Brown said: “While it is encouraging to note that the percentage of people caught drink driving has decreased we are still very disappointed with the fact that 170 people were caught drink-driving during our crackdown over the festive period.

“People do not seem to have heeded the very real warnings about the dangers of drinking and driving – the drivers we caught have blatantly put their own lives and the lives of others at risk.

“Despite this festive campaign having ended, officers will continue to stop and breath test anyone suspected of drink-driving. This enforcement is for their own safety and the safety of all road users.

“We are determined to reduce the number of people killed and seriously injured on Hertfordshire’s roads. Drink driving is a real problem which we will not tolerate and will continue to target.

“The only safe way to drive is with no alcohol and people need to remember the real risk of being over the limit the morning after the night before.”

Hertfordshire Constabulary would like to remind people that there is always a safer alternative to drinking and driving: taking a taxi, using public transport, drinking non-alcoholic drinks or designating a non-drinking driver.

Nigel added: “If you know anyone that is a persistent drink driver then please contact your local police station. In 2007 we will continue to act on information from the public to help target motorists who flout the law.

"Some people may feel that drink driving is not a serious offence. But just ask those that go on to lose their licences, get a criminal conviction and possibly lose their jobs, how serious an offence it is. Or speak to a family of a person who has been killed or injured by a drink driver.

“Drink driving ruins lives.”

Offline Greybeard

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2007, 07:25:52 am »
So 93% of the breath tests the police took were negative.

Is that a good use of their time and our money?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 09:15:48 am »
So 93% of the breath tests the police took were negative.

Is that a good use of their time and our money?

I suppose the if that means that the 170 drivers (7%) who were over the limit were caught, perhaps it is?

David

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2007, 09:23:21 am »
I think this is a good use of police time. they have caught a lot of people breaking the law in a dangerous way and no doubt the deterent effect is a major factor in improving the figures. Much better to prevent crime than investigate it.

Actually I think the current 1 year / 3 year ban is good. It is tough to get through and nearly impossible to avoid if you are done for drink/drive. What they are soft on is when they catch people driving on a ban because they are anxious about using prison.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2007, 10:15:03 am »
The police are damned if they do something and damned if they don't.

Many people want a more visible presence of police officers, which is said to act as a deterent.  So here they are, out on the streets checking for drink-driving and as a side effect, catching drivers committing other offences.  Other motorists who did not get stopped will have at least checked their speed in case they were exceeding the speed limit.

You have to live on a different planet not to know that the police will be concentrating on drink-driving in the Christmas period, so anyone getting caught deserves to be caught.

Peter is right - crime prevention is a lot better than crime detection.  As someone who was burgled many years ago, I would prefer not to have had an univited visitor during the night.  I now make sure all downstairs windows are locked at night.

John_fraser

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2007, 12:50:16 pm »
To my mind it depends on why the 93% were stopped. If there was a reason to suspect that person of drinking because of their erratic driving or the fact that they were holding a can of Special Brew while they drove,  then it seems reasonable. If, on the other hand, the police are randomly stopping people who have done nothing wrong I think that they risk alienating the public. 

Max

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2007, 09:40:42 am »
To my mind it depends on why the 93% were stopped. If there was a reason to suspect that person of drinking because of their erratic driving or the fact that they were holding a can of Special Brew while they drove,  then it seems reasonable. If, on the other hand, the police are randomly stopping people who have done nothing wrong I think that they risk alienating the public. 

I know what you mean, John, but as long as the police were polite about it, I don't think that I would be alienated by being stopped as part of a random program of breath checks to discourage drinking and driving. It has to be remembered that it is in fact quite possible to drive in an apparently blameless manner when quite drunk (to my shame, I know whereof I speak from my dissolute and mis-spent youth). What is not possible is to react with the same speed to unforseen circumstances, say a child running into the road from behind a parked car. Random checks (such as have recently been introduced in Greece to the considerable benefit of the Greek exchequer) are a very effective way of making sure people do no over-indulge, and do not seriously inconvenience responsible drivers.

Tags: