Poll

Should all dogs be kept on the lead in Gobions?

Yes
10 (31.3%)
No
21 (65.6%)
Don't know
1 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: May 07, 2014, 07:20:48 am

Author Topic: Aggressive dogs running free in Gobions  (Read 38278 times)

Offline JESB

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Aggressive dogs running free in Gobions
« on: January 24, 2010, 01:11:25 pm »
Does anyone know who the huge blood hounds belong to who are allowed to charge about unchecked in Gobions.  I was walking around the pond on Saturday morning with my husband and dog, when we heard a loud baying noise behind us and two enormous bloodhounds the size of shetland ponies appeared.  Our dog bolted traumatised chased by one of the hounds across the field unable to escape into the car park and up the road. We gave chase but could not catch up. One bloodhound ran around the field no owner in sight a small child would have stood no chance against these animals.  The second hound having decided to give up chasing my dog and ran with his mate all over the field area.  We waited for 30 minutes to see if anyone came or even called the dogs  but to no avail.  We gave up and went home.  We are most concerned that these huge animals aggressive or not are allowed to bound around the woods without supervision. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Offline Ann

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Aggressive dogs running free in Gobions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 10:36:23 pm »
Last Summer I encountered theses dogs.
The dog I was I was walking (not my dog) became upset and started growling and barking. When the two hounds turned up they were not aggressive, simpley enjoyed the persuit and eventually just ran off.
However, there was no sign of the owner/S...say no more.
These animals are used for hunting. So perhaps having them as pets is not the best option for them.

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:14:57 am »
We were hoping to walk through Gobions to see the bluebells this morning, but turned back following an encounter with two large dogs running free. It was a disturbing experience to have such large animals running at you howling and baying as they approached.

I totally respect the owner's right to share Gobions and walk the dogs, but it needs to be done in a way that allows others to enjoy the area without being scared. There are bye-laws, prominently displayed at the entrance, urging owners to keep their dogs under control. (and these are not new rules) See below.

It will also be difficult to ensure you have cleaned up after your pet if they are left to run freely; remember families with children use the area and it is regularly soiled with dog mess.

So a plea. Please keep your dogs under control, particularly if they are large and enthusiastic. It's lovely to see people out and about with their pets, but when they are allowed run wild we no longer feel safe.  And being told they are harmless doesn't help.

I think there is a way we can all enjoy walking in Gobions if dogs are, as the bye-law says, "effectively restrained from causing annoyance to any person."

Let's hope we can all enjoy the area, with or without pets.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Cassie

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 11:19:19 am »
Well said David

Offline nicholasac

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 12:04:57 pm »
I have just encountered these two dogs for the first time whilst walking our (small) dog. I did see the owner, a man, in the distance, who was calling to them.

I am bound to say though, that they were both perfectly friendly (I stroked both of them!) and in no way aggressive. My own dog certainly wasn't chased and didn't seem overly bothered by them.

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 07:47:27 pm »
I am bound to say though, that they were both perfectly friendly (I stroked both of them!) and in no way aggressive. My own dog certainly wasn't chased and didn't seem overly bothered by them.

The trouble is there is no way of knowing that when they bound up to you. And there is always a first time. Anyway, we will be keeping away from Gobions now; it's too stressful for those who don't appreciate large dogs left running free.

And there are lots of other brill places to walk. We had a lovely walk today out at Bramfield just east of Tewin. Walked for miles through footpaths, woods and fields and no dogs running at us. Bliss.

:)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 08:18:54 am »
Having spoken to a couple of people in the beer garden at my local yesterday I realise there are many more concerned about large dogs running free in Gobions but who never post in this forum. So is it time for something to be done?  As it is, we won't walk there anymore until the situation is brought under control, which is a pity because it was one of the main attractions for moving here.

Offline PS

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 08:29:28 am »
David,

From your conversation, would you know if it is because they feel intimidated by the large dogs (who may well be perfectly harmless) or if they are roaming around with no apparent owners, or indeed any other concern ?

PS

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 08:32:18 am »
It seems it is a feeling of being intimidated. There are owners present, but they probably feel their pets pose no risk. The trouble is that those enjoying a walk in the woods don't necessarily share that view.

My feeling is that we can all enjoy the woods, dog owners and those who don't have dogs. It just needs people to think of others a bit more.

David

Offline PS

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 08:43:08 am »
Yes I agree - I love doing Gobians with our small dog when home.

I don't know if any such exist currently, but would signs in / out of Gobions stating that owners of large dogs should have them on a lead and / or be kept under better control, perhaps with muzles, with the threat of a "Fine" help ? I know it may defeat the purpose of allowing large dogs to roam / run around that need the exercise, but then it may well draw attention to owners who perhaps havn't seen it as a problem.

Anyone ? 

Offline Big Red Daddy

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 10:21:27 am »
Why just LARGE dogs, surely it must be ALL dogs. Who would determine what is a large dog?

Offline Johnny Redd

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 10:40:35 am »
Why not just ban dogs from Gobions full stop. That will solve the problem...................

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 10:59:37 am »
Why just LARGE dogs, surely it must be ALL dogs. Who would determine what is a large dog?

Yes, I agree, all dogs should be conrolled. The large ones are particularly worrying, but you are right. Size is not necessarily the issue.

David

Offline Nick

• Sports Massage
  • Expertises:
  • Soft Tissue & Sports Massage Practitioner
  • London 2012 Olympic & Paralympic Medical Team Member
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 12:50:24 pm »
Having spoken to a couple of people in the beer garden at my local yesterday I realise there are many more concerned about large dogs running free in Gobions but who never post in this forum. So is it time for something to be done?  As it is, we won't walk there anymore until the situation is brought under control, which is a pity because it was one of the main attractions for moving here.

As an owner of three "large" dogs,  (I agree with others that definition is a problem) having a facility such as Gobions where we could exercise our dogs away from a road was also the main attraction to us in moving to Brookmans Park.  I agree we need a solution that works for everybody.

We walk in Gobions at least once a day, 365 days a year, and by a very large margin the people that we meet are other dog owners with lovely pets who are enjoying the facilities and are very considerate. People we meet who are not accompanied by a dog often stop to talk to us and enjoy meeting our animals. 

It seems it is a feeling of being intimidated.
I am sorry if you and your friends feel personally uncomfortable around dogs, but shouldn't this discussion about imposing restrictions on law abiding citizens be more evidence based? 
I am one of those people mentioned who would not normally post in this forum, but feel that this discussion should have a comment from the responsible dog owning community, so am posting on their behalf in case others feel too shy to respond  :)

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 01:11:42 pm »
Hi Nick,

Yes, it is good to get both sides, and I agree all should feel comfortable enjoying Gobions, both those who own dogs and those without dogs.

I guess dog owners get to know their pets and think they have a better sense about their mood.  However, if you are not a dog owner there are a number of extremely scary situations.

As for evidence, I can only report what has happened to me. There are several situations that make Gobions out of bounds for those who are not sure what a dog may be about to do next.

Stand off - when a large Alsatian meets you on a path and stands its ground staring at you.
Running at you - when you hear baying in the distance and two large blood hounds run at you only to cover you in slobber.
Jumping up at you - when a large Labrador or a Dalmatian runs up and jumps up at you with its paws on your body and covers you in dirt.
Growling at you - when two Dobermans peel back their lips to show their teeth and growl when you meet them on the path.

I am not alone in finding such behaviour intimidating. Until more dog owners are as responsible as you are, then I am afraid I won't use the place.

It's just not a nice experience.

David

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 01:18:28 pm »
You've crystallised it very neatly, David.  Presumably, Nick, your "large" dogs do not do any of these things?  Have you not come across other dogs which do?

I love dogs, and don't mind the dirty paws too much, but am afraid of being knocked down.  A person I know sustained a nasty shoulder injury recently through such an incident.

Offline PS

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 01:23:16 pm »
David,
What you say is very valid. But can we ask you - is this a problem that has got worse recently ? My understanding is that you have seemingly had no problem until now. Did a particularly bad experience suddenly put you off ? Or have you simply had enough of a problem that's gone on for too long.
PS 

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 01:39:12 pm »
Hi PS,

In my experience it has got worse. Others may disagree. I have a good friend who is a responsible dog owner (uses a lead when people and other dogs approach and cleans up after his pet), and he gets annoyed with the dog owners who let their animals run freely. 

David

Offline Nick

• Sports Massage
  • Expertises:
  • Soft Tissue & Sports Massage Practitioner
  • London 2012 Olympic & Paralympic Medical Team Member
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 01:50:49 pm »
As for evidence, I can only report what has happened to me. There are several situations that make Gobions out of bounds for those who are not sure what a dog may be about to do next.

David and Chicken Legs,

Like you I can only report on what I have experienced first hand.  I have met "the Bloodhounds" which while enthusiastic and large were friendly to all my dogs and me and departed quickly after a mutual exchange of sniffs (the dogs, not me  :)). 

Based upon the behaviour described I do not think I have come across the other dogs you mentioned. The aggressive behaviour David described is certainly not something a responsible owner would condone.  We should therefore be looking for a solution that deals with these specific issues (and the specific owners) and allows non-dog owners and dog owners alike to enjoy Gobions in harmony.

Offline Susan

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 01:55:21 pm »
I agree with Nick - hmm, that phrase is familiar  ;)

Most of the dogs I meet are very well behaved, but of course it's always the badly behaved dogs and owners that we remember. I've also met the bloodhounds, but they took no notice of me or my dog, so I guess the owner wouldn't realise that some people might find them intimidating. 

I walk my dog in Gobions four or five times a week, and almost everyone I meet is also walking a dog, and those that don't have a dog often stop to fuss mine. I don't think that banning dogs would mean that more people would enjoy Gobions. It would mean that fewer people would use the area - particularly when you consider that dog owners are out every day in all weathers.

Rather than banning dogs, perhaps there could be dog-free times to keep everyone happy :) 

Offline PS

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 02:01:16 pm »
Rather than banning dogs, perhaps there could be dog-free times to keep everyone happy :) 

That does sound like a good compromise - but how could it be made enforceable as clearly both dog or non dog walkers have the same rights ? If times were put into place, could they be made [legally] binding ?

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 02:08:25 pm »
I don't think a ban is necessary. We just need the few dog owners who let their animals run uncontrolled to realise that it is not fair on those who find their dogs intimidating. Perhaps a forum like this will help them understand that not everyone loves their dogs.

For my part, I will avoid the area. The alternative would be to take a large stick and hit out at any dog that I felt was threatening me.

David

Offline PS

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 02:21:02 pm »

The alternative would be to take a large stick and hit out at any dog that I felt was threatening me.

David

I think you've found the solution David. If we all did similar, then I am sure that the irresponsible owners will soon learn.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 02:32:33 pm »
The alternative would be to take a large stick and hit out at any dog that I felt was threatening me.

I'm sure the sentiment is meant in the right way, but hitting the dog is not particularly fair on the dog! It's the owner that is at fault and the law prevents us from hitting people and also hitting and causing cruelty to dogs! The Parish Council need to ensure the open space bye laws are enforced. A formal complaint with dates times, incident(s), description is a good start.

Offline Clark Griswold

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 03:03:41 pm »
I think you've found the solution David. If we all did similar, then I am sure that the irresponsible owners will soon learn.

......to carry bigger sticks?

Edited to fix quote box.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 03:12:10 pm by David Brewer »

Offline PS

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 03:14:32 pm »
......to carry bigger sticks?

Ask David, he's showing his brutal side - for me, dogs have as much rights as humans [oh - don't you just looovve all this PC stuff]  ;D

edited to fix quote box.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 04:06:02 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 12:52:33 pm »
North Mymms Parish Council owns Gobions Open Space and the Moffats Open Space, including the lake which has a path round it.   The notice boards display the Byelaws of NMPC which includes this one

'A person shall not cause or suffer any dog belonging to him or in his charge to enter or remain on the ground unless such dog be and continue to be under proper control and be effectively restrained from causing annoyance to any person, and from worrying or disturbing any animal. '

These Byelaws are common sense but they do put users on notice of what is expected by way of behaviour.

There is the long-standing problem of dog poo but that is another gripe against irresponsible dog owners.  No need to rehash that debate   ::)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 04:06:41 pm by Bob Horrocks »

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 12:55:08 pm »
   The notice boards display the Bylaws of NMPC which includes this one

'A person shall not cause or suffer any dog belonging to him or in his charge to enter or remain on the ground unless such dog be and continue to be under proper control and be effectively restrained from causing annoyance to any person, and from worrying or disturbing any animal. '

Thanks Bob, I posted pictures of that notice earlier in the thread. 

Click here to see them.

David

Offline PS

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 01:13:16 pm »
Nice words - but what are the consequences for those who choose to ignore them ? And who would have the power to reprimand ? 

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 01:23:03 pm »
Nice words - but what are the consequences for those who choose to ignore them ? And who would have the power to reprimand ? 

I guess they are just a reminder to people as to how to behave in public places; I can't see there being the staff or the funding to enforce.

Tags: