Author Topic: Bassill Family, Cromer Hyde & Essendon  (Read 5349 times)

Offline mike jones

• Opinions on a couple of things
Bassill Family, Cromer Hyde & Essendon
« on: January 03, 2010, 11:22:30 am »
My name is Mike Jones and I live in Staffordshire. I have just registered as a new member and I am particularly interested in the Bassill Family who are ancestors of mine and who lived at Cromer Hyde and around the Essendon area. Can you help?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Re: Bassill Family, Cromer Hyde & Essendon
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 02:43:39 pm »
Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have any known dates etc? 

I have emailed Mike separately on this topic since I know of a local family with a similar name.

Offline peterjday

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 07:38:35 pm »
I have researched the Bassill family of Cromer Hyde back to the mid 1500s and have a comprehensive family tree. Being relatively well-to-do in the early days they have left a lot of documentry evidence. There is evidence of the Bassills thereabouts back to 1342, but so far I have been unable to construct a tree back this far.
You can go and have a drink in a pub at Cromer Hyde that was once Hornbeam Hall - it came into the family in 1654, inherited by a George Bassill on his 21st birthday from his father-in-law.
Get in touch by email if you want to know more.
What is your connection with the Bassill family?
Peter

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 05:02:14 pm »
There is a Basell family on Station Road, Welham Green.  That is all I know of them.  Spelling of names can change over the years.

You can email me using the symbol at the side of this posting and I can give you their full address if you wish.

Offline jazzertom

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 05:15:07 pm »
I have been researching my family history for about 7 years and have traced my family back to Hatfield Herts. My 6X great grandmother, Mary Evans, married a second time after the death in 1752 of her husband Joseph Evans. This second marriage in February 1757 was to James Bassill, who I believe came from Cromer Hyde, not far from Hatfield and is close to Brocket Hall and the Crooked Chimney pub, which famously featured in an episode of Inspector Morse (Who Killed Harry Field) in 1991. Apparently the makers of that series often used Hertfordshire locations that were supposed to be in Oxfordshire. The Bassill family are recorded as having been licensees of the Chequers pub in 1756, which I think is now the aforementioned Crooked Chimney.

I am still trying to make sense of the Bassill genealogy, especially who was the parents of three grandsons of, I guess, James Bassill. These are named in her will as William, James and Robert. It is a very difficult document to read and has taken me a great deal of time to decipher.

Would appreciate any thoughts on the above.

Jazzertom

Offline trekbat

• Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 07:23:04 pm »
I have been researching my family history for about 7 years and have traced my family back to Hatfield Herts...The Bassill family are recorded as having been licensees of the Chequers pub in 1756, which I think is now the aforementioned Crooked Chimney.

There was a Chequers pub in Hatfield.

"The "Chequers Inn" ... stretched across the bottom of Fore Street, adjoining the side of the "One Bell". ... The first we hear of the Inn is in 1490, when at the Manor Court it was ordered that the water-course between "Le Cheker and Lesers Lane" be amended. By the early seventeenth century it had come into the hands of the Searancke family, who issued the half-penny token [shown]. In 1716 the Rev. Thomas Searanke, the then owner, insured the dwelling house of the "Chequers" with the Sun Insurance Office, London. ... From the billeting returns of 1756 the "Chequers" appears to be the largest in the parish."
http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/data/places/places-h/hatfield/hatfield.htm

The building called Chequers is still standing but no longer a pub (it's centuries old but it doesn't appear to be that old but may be because of modern renovations)
http://www.estatesgazette.com/propertylink/advert/-old_hatfield-3113309.htm

I believe Hatfield Brewery records are at the Hertfordshire Archives in Hertford but it might be worth checking with the Mill Green Museum first.

Offline peterjday

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 10:34:54 pm »
A small group of people have researched the Bassill family of Cromer Hyde, Hatfield extensively. For those who are interested, then peterjday(at)ntlworld.com will find me. (substitute @ for (at) in the email address).
Regards to all Bassillologists out there.

Tags: