Author Topic: Voltage Surge Protectors – I'll use them in future!  (Read 3875 times)

MikeL

Voltage Surge Protectors – I'll use them in future!
« on: December 24, 2009, 10:09:04 am »
Voltage Surge Protectors – I'll use them in future!

I don't know how many people have looked at (or even have any idea of) Voltage Surge Protectors. I know I have and have thought “is there really any point?”. Now I know the answer and will be buying some in future.

For a small section of The Gardens yesterday morning was enlivened from about 6am by numerous surges in voltage on the electricity supply. This resulted in all lights suddenly glowing very brightly, numerous appliances which were switched off apparently bursting into life and a very loud humming from the meter cupboard and various other electrical equipment. Next followed multiple pops and explosions throughout the house accompanied by strong smell of burning and a mad panic of trying to switch off the power.

Normal power was eventually restored at about 10:30pm last night and heating (for us) about an hour later.

Resultant blown equipment:
Central heating controller, Dishwasher, Microwave, 2 * HiFi, PC, 2 * laptop power supplies, Laser printer, Internet router, Computer speakers, Wii, all cordless phones, all phone chargers, hair straighteners (how will I manage?), standard lamps, multiple bulbs (many now irreplaceable!). Oh and the Xmas tree lights.

And we were lucky. Some people still have no heating. I know of at least two houses that now have no cooker or TV.

Merry Xmas!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Voltage Surge Protectors – I'll use them in future!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 10:11:54 am »
Wow, what a story Mike. Do you need to borrow anything to get through xmas?  PM or mail me if there is anything we can help with. By the way, does the surge protector need to be on the mains board, or do you need to get one for every appliance?

Dave
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

MikeL

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 10:49:47 am »
Thanks Dave, as I say, we were lucky. Our only real problem is the washing up which will play havoc with my hands! Now it you'd like to pop round at about 4pm tomorrow.... ;D

The only surge protectors I know of are like glorified multi way extension leads. But if I'd been using them instead of standard extension leads it would have at least saved all the IT equipment, the Wii, all the mobile chargers and one of the cordless phones. I just assumed that the fuses were blowing when I heard the bangs but apparently fuses don't really protect against voltage surges.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 10:55:49 am »
EDF Energy should compensate you for all losses - I think their obligation is to supply electricity at 230V +6% -10% or something similar.

Pretty inconvenient just before Xmas though - hope you get things sorted soon.

Offline stevea

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:44:23 am »
Hi - I know this doesn't help....but they are a must in Brisbane...we have some pretty bad electrical storms and learnt the hard way when everything got zapped. 

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 11:50:16 am »
Huge sympathies MikeL, I hope that everything gets replaced OK, either by the energy company or the insurance   :-\

We've got surge protectors on all our IT and home entertainment stuff, but not on the household appliances, didn't think of them, better get that sorted then.

We originally bought ours from Woolworths, but I've seen them recently in Tesco's if anyone's interested .......

colinr

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 11:55:40 am »

And we were lucky. Some people still have no heating. I know of at least two houses that now have no cooker or TV.

Merry Xmas!

Mike if any of your neighbours need a free TV I have one surplus to requirements, see the local ads on the front page.

Offline Ann

• Opinions on some things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 12:04:33 pm »
I would like to thank 2 neighbours for getting in touch wth me yesterday. ( I live in Potters Bar) When I arrived at my mothers house I was greeted with a humming sound which continued after I turned things off at the mains.

Thank goodness my dear mother who died in October was not here to endure the long hours of no heat. I doubt she would have suvived the ordeal.

One a happy note

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 03:28:08 pm »
Right, that's the Brewers surge protected. It's cost me £60, but it's worth it for the peace of mind. Thanks for the warning Mike.

Dave
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Tags: