Author Topic: Hawkshead Road (non) footpath  (Read 8852 times)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Hawkshead Road (non) footpath
« on: April 14, 2002, 08:22:00 pm »
Between the RVC Boltons Farm and the triangular junction with Hawkshead Lane /Bluebridge Rd there is no formal footpath.  A few years ago a path was created and gravel laid down but nature has almost reclaimed it.  Fast traffic, narrow roadway etc makes it a hazardous stretch of road.  Herts County Council seems to be hard pressed just filling in potholes in the road so what chance any official action to improve this footpath?
How about local action to cut back vegetation to make this footpath usable again?

Offline Alfred the Great

• Opinions on many things
Re: Hawkshead Road (non) footpath
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2002, 10:26:05 pm »
Another area of disappearing footpath is the section between the Hawkshead railway bridge and the RVC main campus. Damaged by the contractors' lorries, I suppose. Will they reinstate it?

:(
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2002, 12:09:19 am »
Bob - I'll see if I can get some scouts on the case. Only problem is making sure it is safe for us to do the clearing. Watch this space....

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline john

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2002, 12:07:42 pm »
A few points please:
1:   what do we all pay out local taxation for,  other than for the authorities to maintain such public services as footpaths etc ?
2:   laudable tho direct action is, people should be very careful about a) the consequential risks of liability, injury, etc  b) the need for on-going maintenance ...
3:   conditions in Hawkshead Lane:   of course the unavoidable damage will be made good !   on the basis of a)  "as and when" during our building works,  and b) upon completing the buildings early next year.   It's our approach/ Lane/ amenity too !
Please bear in mind that  i) not all HGVs in the Lane are associated with RVC, ii) recent highways general neglect has been a contributory factor  (eg  drain gullies never cleansed, under-sized kerbs improperly set, road signs missing ...),  iii) we see more car-on-car damage than anything else ...  
We like to think we are ready to be aware of all sides of the issues ...
Regards to all
John

Offline john

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2002, 12:18:13 pm »
Sorry !   Forgot a question.    
Does/should the Green Belt Society put out working parties to plant trees, clear ditches/ litter/paths, etc etc ?   Or is/should its role be more "the pen is mightier than the spade ?"  Or ... ?
Must be many pros and cons  -   is this a potential extension of the various other Forum debates which seem often to re-enter the realms of "what we should do"  rather than "how a result will be delivered"  ?     Regards  -  John    ::)

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2002, 01:11:48 pm »
I would love to be able to walk safely along hawkshead and other lanes, but it is just too dangerous. Pedestrians are marooned in this village. Any one tried walking down the A1000? Its frightening?
No answer though,
regards,
jet

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2002, 09:28:04 pm »
Thanks for all the comments.  In reply-
- My main concern is Hawkshead ROAD, not LANE for the original reasons stated.  The lane is also dangerous for walkers & cyclists, and therefore drivers in avoiding them but it does not have any rough track like the section under discussion
- This is not a Green Belt Society issue. I wrote the original item in my private capacity as a local resident.
- Our Council Tax includes money for road & pavement maintenance but this is not a proper pavement, just a rough track on which some shale etc was laid a few years ago to make a reasonable surface.  This has now virtually disappeared, and the section on the banking on the south side of the road is very overgrown, making it almost unusable.
- thanks for the suggestion of scout action.  They might do a better and quicker job than old dodders like me!
- agreed about the dangers of walking locally.  The A1000 is so busy, but speed limits are proposed (much good they will do!)

Offline eric

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2002, 05:07:22 pm »
Having recently "walked" along Hawkshead Road, I saw that while Folly Arch is still unrepaired, the owners in Folly Lodge are spending out on a new swimming pool for the summer ?  
Do I remember reading elsewhere that the green belt group reported that the arch repairs had been delayed due to escalating costs and shortage of money ?
Priorities !?
???

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2002, 08:56:45 pm »
Re Folly Arch - see www.greenbeltsociety.org.uk (link on Home Page) on its 'Latest News' page.  It will be updated it when we hear if Welwyn Hatfield Council decided on action at their Planning meeting on 11 April.

Offline john

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2002, 05:39:00 pm »
I see the customary annual "spring madness" has been delivering its customary crop of incidents.    For example we have just reseeded a "tired" grass ley off Hawkshead Lane to provide better silage, grazing, etc.   Within a short space of time someone's taken a saw and cut down a stile in the mistaken belief that as this currently appears like an arable field there's no longer a need to provide for the safe containment of livestock !

How would those people feel if we treated their property like that ?    Did/ do they stop to think ?    Do they think themselves as "environmentally aware" ?    Isn't it a shame that the limited pot of money we have for new-planting (trees, hedgerows) get wasted by having to repair thoughtless damage ?   Could they be persuaded to come on one of my "walk-and-talks" to try to appreciate things a bit more clearly ?    I am just wasting my time ... ?

Regards to all   -  john  

Offline john

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2002, 09:00:03 pm »
Just to let people know that we at RVC are carrying out another traffic survey in our area from Sunday 28 April to Sunday 5 May.   You'll notice some pneumatic counting tubes in Hawkshead Lane (and yes the system's design to pick up on fiddling-attempts such as jumping up and down on 'em !)
Any queries or ... welcome:   by e-reply or to telephone (roamer) 020 7468 5111
Kind regards  -   John Fisher, The Royal Vet College

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2002, 09:03:20 pm »
Good news - I met with Herts CC Highways Dept this week.  By end May they intend to cut back the weeds etc on the south side embankment which will make it easier to walk along that section.  For various reasons (money, liability, who put the gravel down originally? etc) they are unable to put more gravel down on the walking surface.
They did ask how many people walk that section of road on an average day.  I have no idea but the path is still well defined so it must be a reasonable number.  

justin

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2002, 02:13:41 pm »
Perhaps the CC would like to review the traffic accident figures for that section of road and offer some explanation as to why traffic calming of some sort is not in place. At around 3.30 to 4.30pm it can become like a race track with young drivers testing their ability to keep the car on the road round the bend at 65+mph. How many cars have ended up in the ditch, I've seen 4 in 5 years, plus the "T bone" crashes at the triangular junction.

Offline john

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2002, 11:56:53 am »
Anyone noticed some recent "successes" ?
a:  the clearance of the Hawkshead Road footpath ?  not ...
b:  the direction signs at the "triangle" so rusted, one's collapsed in to the uncut nettles & grass and thus can't be read ...  Other road hazard signs missing ...
c:  the local authorities haven't cleared or repaired the street name plates there either  -  but instead have found money to erect a new plastic one in a wrong position, effectively re-naming Hawkshead Lane as Hawkshead Road ...
d:  putting up an "unlimited" speed sign on Hawkshead Road where the chicane & counter-camber tends to "throw" speeding vehicles in to the hedge ...  and where for countless years cattle have crossed to and from their grazing to the milking parlour (and which some highway people think should be stopped because it's dangerous to road users ...

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2002, 09:56:32 pm »
John's post (above) reminded me that Herts County County has set up a system for reporting such issues online. The site has categories covering most of the topics in John's post above. It is really easy to fill out and only takes seconds to complete.  If enough people report issues something might be done.  I reported some fly tipping a few weeks ago and a bloke was on the phone the next day. The following report gives more details about the service.  It would be interesting to hear whether anyone who reports something gets a reply and whether any action results.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2002, 10:27:36 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Mandi_Ebbrell

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2002, 04:02:30 pm »
John,

You mentioned a while back that the RVC were carrying our a traffic survey on Hawkshead Lane in May.  What was the reason for this survey being commissioned and what were the results?

Regards

Offline john

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2002, 04:16:08 pm »
We do a number of surveys of different sorts from time to time.   We did another traffic count in Hawkshead Lane to see if we are as bad as we are sometimes "painted".  And the answers con/included:
>  the current traffic is exceptional due to our building works  -  which due to the knock-on effects of FMD etc are simultaneous rather than sequential as originally planned to reduce impacts ...
>  people should not assume that any lorry etc in the Lane is related to RVC  -  there are rat-runners all the time to M25/ A1(m), the MSA, etc ...
>  most of our traffic comes from the east ...  our arrivals are spread between 7am and 9am ... there is a strong west-bound "surge" of cars running through the Lane in the early morning to get to the motorway (and vv in the afternoon) ... there are noticable "surges" coincident with school hours ...
>  a lot of students car-share, arrive at a range of times of day/ night according to their clinical rotations, a lot of RVC people are based further afield because of local property costs, more would walk and cycle if ... etc etc

john

ps  I see Hawkshead Lane now has a correct nameplate, but the new one for Hawkshead Road looks as if it refers to Bluebridge Road ?

Tags: