Author Topic: Beware this robbery attempt at Tescos, Potters Bar  (Read 4616 times)

LongTallSally

Beware this robbery attempt at Tescos, Potters Bar
« on: December 02, 2009, 08:41:04 pm »
Just thought I would warn you about a couple who attempted to get me to pay for their shopping in Tesco's, Potters Bar, this evening.

They stand directly behind you in the queue.

While you are packing your shopping, they remove the divider between your shopping and theirs, so the cashier believes the shopping belongs to the same person, in this case me.

Of course, then the couple have to intercept their shopping and grab it before you pack it in your bag, so one of them stands between you and the cashier. It was when the woman attempted to get between the cashier and myself, I challenged her.

The woman in her thirties, was between 5ft 3in and 5ft 5in tall, dark blonde hair tied back in a ponytail and stocky. She was wearing casual clothes, zip up orange top with a hood, stripy t-shirt, carrying a small orange bag.

The man, again in his thirties, was between 5ft 8in and 5ft 10in tall, slim, dark hair, clean shaven with a cleft chin. He was dressed completely in black apart from a khaki coat.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Re: Beware this robbery attempt at Tescos, Potters Bar
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 11:01:32 am »
No doubt you have reported this to the police

Offline PS

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:52:55 am »
Perhaps Tesco's may have some CCTV data that could help identify this particular incidence and the people concerned. Then they could brief all the till persons to ensure that they are on the look out for unusual behaviour at the tills.

But thank you for pointing this out - a scam I haven't heard of before - and I wonder how many less vigilant shoppers have been previously caught out ? 

LongTallSally

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 09:24:41 pm »
No doubt you have reported this to the police

Yes, I have.

Perhaps Tesco's may have some CCTV data that could help identify this particular incidence and the people concerned.

The police have advised me they need to establish if it is a crime, as nothing was stolen, or an incident. If it is registered as a crime they will look at the CCTV data available.

I wonder how many less vigilant shoppers have been previously caught out ? 

Hopefully no-one. Wouldn't it be great if this was their first and final attempt? Though, I think not. Maybe the police will give me more information as they investigate.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 09:39:16 pm by LongTallSally »

Offline Mr Green

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 11:06:51 pm »
Can I clear up a few points,

Firstly, it's theft not robbery. (There is no threat of harm).

Secondly, just because property is not stolen does not prevent it being a crime, the Criminal Attempts Act 1981 sees to that.

Thirdly, Home office rules clearly puts the onus on Herts police to record an allegation made with 72 hours as a crime unless there is evidence to the contrary or on balance it is not a crime. You can't defer recording while you investigate it. Naughty Herts Police.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:08:04 pm »
I would suggest that the 'not putting the divider and getting close' is their cover, so that's what it looks like, should they be challenged - "oh sorry, I forgot.... " . On the face of this, it appears a rather clumsy way of getting a few items for nothing. They have no intention of buying anything, they only add things to your shopping, to appear legitimate when they approach the till.

My concern it this is the cover for an attempt to pickpocket and/or gain your pin number when you pay. The offence will actually be as you leave the store, your purse or wallet will be 'obtained' and in the 'bustle' of the shopping crowds you will not miss it until the offender is long gone, with your pin number committed to mind by the person who 'stands between you and the cashier'. Always ensure as you key in your PIN number your free hand covers over the one you use to press the keys, and don't be pressurised into keying in your PIN until people around you move away. Always be aware of those around you. Cashiers are normally very good and don't watch you, the are trained to look away. If they don't, don't key your PIN. Always be aware if someone approaches you outside the store suggesting you may have 'dropped something' or 'left something behind', they may know where you put your purse as they were behind you in the till queue. As you look where this person says you have dropped something or are distracted by their comments, their accomplice is nicking your purse from your trolley.

LongTallSally

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 07:17:42 am »
Thanks , Ferdie.

Yes, I was certainly very wary when paying with my credit card. I did check they were a safe distance away from me and hand covered the keypad while typing in my number as I always do. I did wonder if they would make any attempt to follow me and watched them very carefully as i left the checkout and walked out of the store. Fortunately, they were distracted by the cashier dealing with their shopping but they certainly looked very fed up.

John_fraser

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 08:49:53 pm »
A colleague at work reported the same thing happened to his wife in supermarket in South London. Well worth keeping your wits about you when the store are getting crowded at this time of year.

Tags: