Author Topic: Wild parrots  (Read 3877 times)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Wild parrots
« on: November 23, 2009, 02:40:49 pm »
This weekend we had 6 green parrots, or parakeets (I am not a bird expert) in the garden.  I had heard of them in the wild in London but have never heard of them in our neighbourhood before. Sorry but I could not get a picture to prove it.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
Re: Wild parrots
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 05:37:28 pm »
I saw them in Barnet, near Underhill a couple of years ago, so it is only a small flutter to BP.

Offline PS

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 06:17:04 pm »
Sounds nice - probably the mild weather has a lot to do with it. Where I am at the moment, I wake up to dozens of them - maybe I should send some back for Xmas !

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 10:51:06 am »
Where I am at the moment, I wake up to dozens of them - maybe I should send some back for Xmas !

Thanks for the thought but I prefer turkey not that I have ever eaten parrot.  Turkeys have more meat on them.  Similarly I never understand what some people see in quails, but this is getting off the point. 

Offline Nobby

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 07:42:14 pm »
Hello Bob,
These will almost certainly be Ring-Necked Parakeets which are gradually spreading from their stronghold in SW London. The winter roost at Esher Rugby Club has held up to 4,000 individuals. They are most common in Herts around Rickmansworth where noisy flocks of 20+ are regularly seen.
I was particularly interested in your record, as I'm the local coordinator for the BTO and Herts Bird Atlas project which is in the fieldwork stage at the moment. You can see where they have been recorded to date at http://www.hertsatlas.org.uk/2007/RI.shtml
Locally they have only been recorded in Potters Bar, and I'd guess you live in one of the 2km x 2km tetrads where they have not been seen to date. I'd be most grateful if you could e-mail me the date of your sighting plus your postcode, so this can be added to the county and national database. My e-mail is rpyrah at btinternet dot com

Many thanks

(edited only to prevent email address from being 'harvested').
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 08:46:13 pm by Mermaid »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 10:44:52 am »
Noddy was correct and I have emailed him with the details requested.

Tags: