Author Topic: Facilities for young people  (Read 7390 times)

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
Facilities for young people
« on: November 23, 2009, 01:01:51 pm »
Just read this in my paper today and think it looks fantastic   :D

Wouldn't it be great if we could have something like this near here ......

www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/architecture/the-kids-are-alright-britains-first-luxury-youth-club-1825730.html

Offline PS

• Opinions on most things
Re: Facilities for young people
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 05:40:50 pm »
Wouldn't it be great if we could have something like this near here ......

It would - but pie in the sky - it would cost too much.

Still, its a nice thought - but better we all dream on.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 12:59:55 pm »
Maybe it would cost too much and maybe something similar could be affordable. Many dreams can be achieved if they're worked for.

The North Mymms Parish Plan questionnaire will be posted to all North Mymms households (Brookmans Park, Welham Green and Little Heath) in February 2010 and will have a dedicated section for young people under 18 years old to have their say on what they would like to see in the area.

As part of the steering group's pilot study, I am looking for 10 young people under 18 years old who would be willing to complete a questionnaire in the next 3 weeks. This would be very helpful in ensuring that we have asked all the right questions in the right way.

If any interested parties or their parents would like to IM me to volunteer, I would be most grateful.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 09:29:09 am »
Thanks to all those who have volunteered, we have received some very interesting feedback.

However, I need two more young people from Welham Green to volunteer, to make sure that the area is properly represented. Filling in the questionnaire will only take 15 - 20 minutes - any offers? Please IM me.

Many thanks.

Offline Mr Green

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 07:30:26 pm »
Do you feel that the young people of Brookmans Park are equally considered and accommodated when half term activities are arranged for the Welwyn Hatfield area. I canít help noting that the flyer sent out from Brookmans Park school listing local organised activities has nothing to offer in Brookmans Park.

The Play Rangers for example are visiting 2 venues in Hatfield and 3 in WGC. I appreciate there are more children in these areas but equally there are more permanent venues (pools, sports centres etc) for them to utilise.

I raised this issue with Cllr Irene Dean who stated she believed that the County Council had organised for Play Ranger activities in Welham Green at the back of the youth and community centre. This is news to me, can anybody confirm or deny this.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 08:19:49 pm »
I know there were organised activities for kids over the summer holiday behind the youth and community centre as I have friends whose kids attended them.  No idea if these are happening next week though.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Susan

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 01:58:45 pm »
In fact, this was offered during the summer holidays, and is to be offered this half term, as I have just received a text, as follows.

Welwyn and Hatfield Play Rangers are at the North Mymms youth centre in Welham Green from Mon 25 October to Thurs 28 Oct between 10.30am and 12.30pm. For ages 8-11.

I can't believe that people complain that the council offers nothing in North Mymms. Welwyn and Hatfield is a huge area, and the council canít possibly offer events etc in all the villages...  Surely it makes sense to offer events in Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City, as it is easier for people to reach those places than the field at the back of the community centre.  ;)

Offline Aloo

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 04:19:08 pm »
Details of the sessions in North Mymms are on the publications button on the Welhat website  www.welhat.gov.uk.

Enter "play rangers" in the search facility.

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 10:48:23 pm »
Welwyn and Hatfield Play Rangers are at the North Mymms youth centre in Welham Green from Mon 25 October to Thurs 28 Oct between 10.30am and 12.30pm. For ages 8-11.

I have been in discussion with Cllr Irene Dean and Maggie Thurman over the last few days about this and following those discussions the message you quote was sent to the school for onward dissemination. Donít ask donít get.

Welwyn and Hatfield is a huge area, and the council canít possibly offer events etc in all the villages.

Who said every village?

Surely it makes sense to offer events in Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City, as it is easier for people to reach those places than the field at the back of the community centre.  ;)

Presuming they have a car! ........ I donít dispute that the majority of events should be hosted where the largest target audience reside however you can over do it. I believe the young people of BP and WG should be entitled to a piece of the pie, even if it is only a small piece.

Offline Susan

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 10:23:25 am »
Yes, I don't think the publicity has been that great. I've not heard from BP school yet. I got the text from the organisers, because my daughter attended last time.

(We'd only discovered it by chance on the last day, as we were playing in the field when it started. Only she and one other family took part, with 3 adult supervisors. :) I did mention this site to them, as a way to get more participants. I hope they get more this time, as the children who went had a great time.)

Presuming they have a car! ........ I donít dispute that the majority of events should be hosted where the largest target audience reside however you can over do it. I believe the young people of BP and WG should be entitled to a piece of the pie, even if it is only a small piece.

I meant it was easier to reach Hatfield and WGC if you hadn't got a car, as it's only a bus/train ride away. Those without cars in other villages would have to take two buses to get here.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 09:23:12 am »
The organisers of the scheme only contacted us (at the Youth and Community Centre) for permission very recently. I believe the old culprit funding is to blame. Until they secured it they couldnt be sure they could put it on.

It was a great success in the Summer and well worth a look if you didnt get there then.

Tags: