Author Topic: Compatible cartridges  (Read 3281 times)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Compatible cartridges
« on: November 09, 2009, 02:11:39 pm »
Do any of our techies have any advice about using original manufacturers cartridges as against compatibles, or refills?  Is cheap not necessarily cheerful in the long run?

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Compatible cartridges
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 03:00:48 pm »
You don't say whether you mean inkjet or laser cartridges.

Original cartridges are undoubtably better but much more expensive.

I've had mixed experiences with recycled toner cartridges, some seem very good (Eg Lexmark do 'approved' cartridges) others seem to constantly leak toner and make a right mess of the printer internals.

Inkjets can often be refilled with a kit and I've known these be very effective and far cheaper than new cartridges. It depends on what you use your printer for as colour accuracy is apparently very variable with refills - I think this is one of HP's justifications for using only original cartridges although they obviously have a vested interest.

I'd suggest you go to somewhere like Cartridge World and try them out for your printer and see how you get on. Alternatively there's plenty of sites on the web selling both new and refilled cartridges eg http://www.stinkyinkshop.co.uk/

Offline Peter Hastings

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 06:57:07 pm »
Bob we use compatibles in the Lexmark and HP in the office with no problems and saving lots of money.

The Epson at home is too clever for us and "knows" it is not a proper cartridge and just plain wont work displaying a message berating us and saying we must replace with the genuine Epson cartridge before it will work again!  Felt quite unfaithful!

Offline Oly

• Opinions on many things
  • Well, I say
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 11:57:04 am »
We use compatiables at work, we have a hp laserjet. The stationary man tried to sell me the genuine HP cartridges but they cost around 90 exc vat, compats cost me 70. I didnt think it would work but when i put it in the machine it worked no questions asked.

Tags: