Author Topic: Wireless hacking and the use of a VPN  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Wireless hacking and the use of a VPN
« on: October 29, 2009, 09:05:36 pm »
BBC's Watchdog had an item on tonight showing how easy it was to hack into someone's email when they were accessing it from a public wifi spot, such as BT Openzone, T-Mobile or the Cloud. They showed a hacker getting into someone's email in seconds and reading through their emails, getting bank details and sending emails in their name. The victims were using the wireless at Pret and another place (I think it was Costa Coffee). They said it could happen at any public wifi spot.

You can read up on the piece or watch it again here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/10/wifi_hot_spots_not_secure.html

They recommend using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) as added security. Do any of our technical wizards have any recommendations?

David

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline PS

• Opinions on most things
Re: Wireless hacking and the use of a VPN
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 09:54:42 pm »
Funnily enough, on Davids other posting I was mentioning just that - the problem of e-mails being easily read etc "consumer cards advice and subscriptions" only hours before I saw it on Watchdog tonight.

I will get my boy to come up with some recommendations - unfortunately, its a widspread problem and does not only affect wifi public hotspots - in a lot of cases the fact that someone has sent an e-mail around can be enough to be able to hack into his / her system without wifi.

Thats how he got into my system - I sent an e-mail to him, challenged him to get into my e-mails and within days he got in !!!

So my advice is - be careful what you send around !!!

Tags: