Author Topic: An autumn walk in Gobions Woodland  (Read 5260 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
An autumn walk in Gobions Woodland
« on: October 28, 2009, 05:04:03 pm »
Just been for a walk in Gobions with the video camera in order to give the overseas forum uses, such as Stevea, Mary M, Jet, Nzer and Mark C a chance to see the autumn colours. There was quite a lot of birdsong, too, for those who can recognise what the birds are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ftPt9n5-w

I have also put it on the front page of the site.

David
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 06:37:21 pm by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline stevea

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: An autumn walk in Gobions Woodland
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 03:47:41 am »
Nice one David.  :)

Offline PS

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 05:29:58 pm »
AAhhh... its ever so nice to hear the birds sing in the Gobians...makes your walk all worth while.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 05:44:37 pm »
AAhhh... its ever so nice to hear the birds sing in the Gobians...makes your walk all worth while.

Yes, the birds were extremely vocal. If anyone can identify the birds from the birdsong I'd be interested in knowing what they were.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 09:09:33 pm »

Yes, the birds were extremely vocal. If anyone can identify the birds from the birdsong I'd be interested in knowing what they were.

David

As there are quite a number of clips all closely cut together, the song is not at times particularly easy to detect, but distinctive robin, rooks and one to the tit family, probably a great tit - (no smutty comments please  ;)). Also a little chirrup of a moorhen. (There was also the lesser spotted jet airliner and the intercity 125 flying through BP)!!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 09:11:53 pm »

As there are quite a number of clips all closely cut together, the song is not at times particularly easy to detect, but distinctive robin, rooks and one to the tit family, probably a great tit - (no smutty comments please  ;)). Also a little chirrup of a moorhen. (There was also the lesser spotted jet airliner and the intercity 125 flying through BP)!!

Yes, the clips are short, and I had to wait until the planes and trains were out of range. You do notice when you are waiting how noisey it is around here; there is a lot of background noise that I guess we just get used to.

David

Offline NZer

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 07:07:34 am »
Great video thanks David.  I really enjoyed walking through Gobions as I have been visiting Gobions since 1956!  Its changed a bit over the years, and still a special place for me. The lower part was a pretty wild place in those early years.   I was over last autumn, but didn't get to walk there.  It was also mighty cold - I got snowed in this time last year!
Its wonderful that the area has been secured for future generations. 

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 07:10:15 am »
Hi Nzer, welcome back. The video is a bit rough. It's done on a cheap camera with limited editing facilities, but I've been using it for offering short teasers for the local walks. I am hoping more people will contribute local videos, especiall for the Brookmans Park Diaspora.

:)

Offline NZer

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 06:46:18 pm »
Do people still skate on the lake in the winter?  I can remember skating on it but can't remember the year.  It would have been before 1960 though.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 07:47:00 pm »
As a youngster in the 60's I used to go on the ice & great fun it was too.

It is seldom cold enough now!

Besides in these 'health & safety' conscious days it is 'not advisable'. Sadly there have been many incidents reported in the news of children and also adults losing their lives falling through ice in similar circumstances and most people heed the warnings and wouldn't do it now. I'm sure whilst accidents happened in the past too, greater awareness and the obvious risks there are, plus our litigious society we don't do such things now!

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 04:41:15 am »
I remember it freezing over twice in the late 60's and once in the early 70's. Like Ferdie said, great fun when you're a kid. I'd think twice now though!

Tags: