Author Topic: Community Christmas Post  (Read 5866 times)

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
Community Christmas Post
« on: October 23, 2009, 09:00:27 pm »
It's looking like the postal service may be disrupted in the run up to Christmas, so I was wondering about setting up some sort of community post service around the parish in aid of charity.

According to Google, under section 68 of the British Telecommunications Bill 1981, anyone can set up a postal delivery service between 25th November and 31st December each year, as long as they are only delivering Christmas Cards. We would sell our own stamps - at a greatly reduced rate from Royal Mail - and any profits would be given to a local charity.

That's the idea in a nutshell. However, anyone feel like helping? Please?

Any thoughts about
(i) Which local charity(ies) to support
(ii) How to manage the sorting of cards
(iii) How to manage deliveries
(iv) Where to have collection points
(v) How to sell stamps
(vi) How wide an area to cover - this will probably depend on how many people are willing to get involved

Would be welcome. If you are willing to help in any way, please either reply to this post, or contact me via the forum's internal messaging system, or send me an email to xmaspost at jimney dot org dot uk

Thanks and keep :-)
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline PS

• Opinions on most things
Re: Community Christmas Post
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 10:35:48 pm »

any profits would be given to a local charity.

James - as you mention "profits" what would the expenses be ? And will there really be any "profits" made with such a small scale of throughput locally, and the limited timespan involved ? Especially as you say

at a greatly reduced rate from Royal Mail

Please provide some forecasting / cost estimates please.

These are my thoughts as you requested .

Thanks

Not: edited only to fix quotes.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 06:31:33 am by David Brewer »

Offline PS

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 10:38:41 pm »
Oh... and James - if its only delivering Christmas Cards, why not send e-cards ? Simpler, cheaper and not likely to get lost in the post.

Just a further thought.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 06:48:09 am »
It's looking like the postal service may be disrupted in the run up to Christmas, so I was wondering about setting up some sort of community post service around the parish in aid of charity.

It's a nice idea, but I wonder how many people in the parish send Christmas cards to people in the parish?  I would have thought the vast majority would be from the parish nationwide and worldwide and be received from far and wide, too.

I know we already post cards by hand to a few neighbours (well, my wife does), so we wouldn't use a postal service anyway. But perhaps we are an exception?

Regarding PS's point about e-cards...

why not send e-cards ? Simpler, cheaper and not likely to get lost in the post.

...although I agree they are cheaper (and more environmentally friendly), I never open them for fear of viruses. There is also the other point that despite the spread of the internet, many (probably true in this area) are still not online.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline PS

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 10:19:41 am »
...although I agree they are cheaper (and more environmentally friendly), I never open them for fear of viruses. There is also the other point that despite the spread of the internet, many (probably true in this area) are still not online.

David - herein lies the problem. Like you say, its enviromentally more friendly, but then throughput decreases and losses increase. Result  - charities get nothing.

Why not just just take a walk or two around the area and hand deliver them all ? Good for exercise, and you never know, you might get invited in for a glass or two of sherry as well !! 

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 11:15:11 am »

Why not just just take a walk or two around the area and hand deliver them all ?

We do, as I mentioned in my post above.

we already post cards by hand to a few neighbours (well, my wife does), so we wouldn't use a postal service anyway.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 11:34:48 am »
James, I think it's a lovely idea and if you get it off the ground I would definitely help. I know how much you do for the local community and I would like to support you.

Many of our more elderly residents may find it difficult to do a tour of the village hand-delivering their own cards and would appreciate something like this.

In Brookmans Park, the URC has a Christmas card box on the stage in the main hall where members post cards to each other. Perhaps they would allow a separate box for your delivery service? Money raised could go to the Church to help with their Christmas outreach projects like sending toys to children who may otherwise not have anything at Christmas.

Good luck and hope you get more volunteers.

Offline PS

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 11:35:56 am »
David,

Good - I am glad to hear it !! But I meant why not walk and deliver to ALL neighbours as opposed to a few [ and that means YOU and not just delegate to the wife] !!! :D

Offline PS

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 11:38:16 am »
Mermaid,,

You miss the point - where is this money for charity going to come from ?

Give me some figures - otherwise I cannot see how this is practically or financially possible - despite your comment that it is "a lovely idea" 

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 11:45:41 am »
I haven't missed the point at all, my reply was to James, not to you.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 12:03:06 pm »
Mermaid,,

You miss the point - where is this money for charity going to come from ?

Give me some figures - otherwise I cannot see how this is practically or financially possible - despite your comment that it is "a lovely idea" 

There are two ways to raise money - either we ask local shops to sell self printed 'stamps' that can be stuck on envelopes or else we just ask people to put a donation in a separate envelope through wherever post boxes are put. Obviously this means any post boxes would need to be in a secure location to stop any donations being stolen. There are obvious plusses and minuses to each one.

Thank you to the people who have messaged me privately or sent me email about this - some good ideas coming through and offers of support. Would probably need to be done as a 'trial' this year to see if it does raise any meaningful amounts of money and then if it does look at possibly expanding it or dropping it next year depending on what happens....
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Bob

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on many things
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 10:52:03 pm »
Cuffley scouts ran a christmas post service for years but finished it last year, don't know why though.
Bob

Offline PS

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 12:35:57 pm »
Cuffley scouts ran a christmas post service for years but finished it last year, don't know why though.

I don't know myself either Bob, but it wouldn't surprise me if PC had something to do with it.

Tags: