14 (43.8%)
Speed cameras
8 (25%)
Road humps
5 (15.6%)
Other or none - please post in forum
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Speeding along local roads  (Read 278846 times)

Offline Carolyn

• Opinions on some things
Re: Speeding along local roads
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2002, 04:16:24 pm »
Well said sasquartch.

MC - I like the idea of creating one larger village green. There have been previous comments about a one way system including all the way around the school. Maybe just the roads (excluding Bluebridge of course) that would suround the revised green should be one way. I'd suggest clockwise so when coming down Brookmans Ave cars have to go left - not a long detour if going to the school. There would not be a real need for the roads past the library and past Statons to be widened since cars would not be trying to pass each other.

Someone will complain about the loss of 4 or so parking spaces! I guess Windsors may expect to loose a little passing trade - but I doubt it.

Oh - while I'm messaging - one speed camera by the bridge.
ex resident - now living in New Zealand

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2002, 04:21:50 pm »
I waited two days and logged in with great trepidation!
I was pleased to see that our comments had been interpreted in the best way.
I should not have used the word fight and apologise, contest would have been a wiser choice of words as all the activities I mentioned are  non violent and involve no contact whatsoever. They do however teach discipline and the ability to quickly disipate violent reactions in real life. I have however read of some pretty viscious outcomes to tiddly winks contests.
Both myself and Nightrider are experienced drivers and are probably riding to a fall due to the inevitable fact that familiarity leads to contempt and that when it all goes wrong. After all air accidents always happen to high hours pilots. Novices are too afraid to make a mistake!
Our disscussions showed the two sides to what was a small incident, he had no idea at the offence I felt with the eye incident which goes back to schooldays and the fact that I wear spectacles. It is so easy to cause offence.
There is no answer to speeding, we all speed and as we are all aware it is inapropriate speed that harms.
I find it frustrating to have to walk around cars parked on the pavement but well what can you do?
As for a crossing, where would we put it? It can lead to a false sense of security. My father was knocked down on a crossing (mind you he was going between pubs) not that that should make any difference. For the record the driver got away with it, he had one eye and said that a bee had flown in through his window into his good eye. This was in November at 11 pm. Now we all know that bees hibernate and do not fly in the dark, but a jury all felt they did!
Well I have learnt something from this thread and I hope we all benifit.
I think I will make a few more comments now and try to be a bit more benign.
Thanks to Brookmans for letting us all ramble on.
regards,
jet

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2002, 04:41:51 pm »
Note my comment in my diatribe with Nightrider when I mentioned the child running across Bluebridge last week.
Cars build up a considerable speed in both directions and it would be ideal if the road could be "broken up" in the middle.
The problem is who wants a crossing with lights or a chicane outside their property? The answer no one!
The only reasonable solution is self discipline backed up by the occasional camera blitz. As our Policeman says the culprits mostly live here.
A great big hump might help near the shops. Again would the noise "drive" people living above the shops crazy?
We all mean well, but I can't see it happening.
For once totally at a loss and having little opinion.
regards,
jet

John_fraser

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2002, 11:38:39 pm »
In an effort to move the argument on, let me firstly dispel any misunderstanding. I do not consider a pedestrian’s life of any more value than a motorist’s. Nor do I think they have any extra right to protection, except where required due to their greater vulnerability.  The reason I dismissed the collisions in WG was due to the fact that no one has been hurt and, due to their low speed, it is unlikely anyone will be hurt.

Secondly I do not want to live in a village devoid of any danger and consequently any enjoyment. I do not feel that no monetary value can be placed upon saving a life. In a world of limited resources this is claptrap. An eight figure sum to save one life would be ridicules. Especially as could be better spent saving more lives elsewhere.

Lastly I agree that Bluebridge Road is not an accident black spot. However, I do see a potential danger that rises well above the “acceptable background” level. Although you rightly say that people should not be allowed to whizz around the roads at will, a lot do. Every day I see cars well over the speed limit, some appear to be doing over seventy upon entering and exiting the village.

In the last year at least two cars have been involved in accidents where they left the road. In both cases anyone standing in their paths would have been seriously injured if not killed. And although I can not, like James, say that I see prangs and hear screeches every day – as I’m not here all day – I do see too many to feel comfortable.

The level of danger is the only point we appear to disagree on, and I’m no happy to “wait and see” if the perceived danger is real. Nor are many of the people who live on the road. Although I admit the desire for traffic calming is in inverse proportion to the age of the children in the house.

On your suggestions:

I find that speed cameras don’t work. But in an effort to make them work you need to have a large sign, road markings and an ugly great camera. In all they look worse than the speed humps you so dislike, without being as effective.

I agree with Jet about the crossing. My wife was knocked down on a crossing and almost killed by a driver who decided to race the lights.

I very much like the idea of the larger green. It would be expensive, but give an asset to the village. However, it does nothing for the problem under discussion

BTW I suggest you re-read the first few posts in this thread. I don’t seem to be off topic.

Offline NMLHS

• Opinions on many things
  • North Mymms Local History Society informant
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2002, 01:58:04 am »
The advantage of the chicane style is that emergency vehicles are able to nogotiate them more easily.  I would vote for this type of traffic calming.  However please let us not have offset roundabouts like those in Welham Green they do not have clear sightlines and vehicles have to pull out onto them before their drivers can see fully what is coming from the right.
The hump backed bridge and sleeping policemen are also dangerous and can cause damages to low suspensioned cars leading to litigation against the council installing them.

Offline MC

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2002, 02:15:24 pm »
John - just to say the a larger village green would help with part of your issues I think. You have concerns with the main road but also with navigating the village particularly crossing the 4-way intersect by the fish and chip shop. A single green would mean a pavement all the way along one side of the green so there'd be nothing to cross (in a way).

Sciv

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2002, 01:01:49 am »
Blue bridge road is long and straight so is it really a dangerous road?  I'd say you should be able to see cars coming at you, whatever the speed.

However, traffic islands would be the idea i'd go for, if you think its really necassary, as people can look right, cross to the middle and then look left, it slows the traffic to just below the speed limit but it doesn't bring traffic to a complete stop.

Also, (although i haven't seen them resently) don't the police already operate speed traps there? I know they used to.

John_fraser

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2002, 11:44:42 am »
Part of the issue is the long run from Hawkshead lane. Cars can legally hit high speeds and almost all are doing 40 or over the hit the residential section. Most are breaking, but some keep their speed up. Half way between Moffets lane and Bradmore Green is a bend gentle enough to be taken at speed, but long enough to make the road dangerous to cross if someone is travailing at high speed.

If every one was driving down the road at the speed limit the road would be fairly safe and the danger would only be from pedestrians not looking – sadly exactly what many young children fail to do. The danger is from cars travelling at excessive speeds.

I've never seen a police speed trap. Or a policeman for that matter.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2002, 02:55:23 pm »
Quite correct John,
We had a speed trap severall times a week a few years ago now, it ran into hundreds!
Nearly all caught were local.
It would make a fortune now :(
Alas not enough cops :'(
regards,
jet

Nightrider

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2002, 01:19:27 am »
I would like add a plus point to Jet's/myself's  involvement in this discussion.

I recently drove into Station Close (in the village) and noticed some very young kiddies playing and larking about on the grass verge.

Doublely aware of the recent posts between myself and Jet, I slowed down to a "Doublely Slow, Just In Case 3 - 5 mph" and lo and behold, one of the little blighters (no more than 5 years old)  tripped and fell off of the grass verge RIGHT in front of me.

It was so satisfying to me that so soon after the spat between myself and Jet, that I had slowed down my speed to an absolute minimum and that there was no chance that any harm could come to the kiddies.  

However, whilst parking my car, I witnessed cars passing the same kids at approx 20+ mph, albeit well within  the speed limit,  but with no chance of stopping if the same occurence had happened.

At the same time, it's a shame that the kiddies parents/guardians did not keep eye on their antics, considering the young ages of the kids involved.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2002, 02:17:14 am »
Well said nightrider, it confirms one thing appropriate speed is more important than the speed limit.
A real example of what could hapen to any one of us.
regards,
jet

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2002, 04:03:13 pm »
Dear all,
Its worth reading the highway code which is available on this site.
I find that things have changed some what since my older versions.
While in essence its all common sense. :)
I could find no reference to drivers giving way to pedestrians at all times as I remember? ???
Last night I saw two cars playing tag at very high speed going down Moffats, absolutley no chance of stopping as they went round the blind bend >:(
Have not seen a copper for weeks?
regards,
jet

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2002, 05:48:16 pm »
 To be honest, I think we can say women can't drive aswell as men. ;D Its a fact.  ::)

Offline Ellie

• Give me peace
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Zumba
  • Reading
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2002, 08:19:14 pm »
To be honest, I think we can say women can't drive aswell as men. ;D Its a fact.  ::)

I would be interested to see the statistics for this statement or is it simply a sexist comment? The evidence suggests it is not true.  That is why women can get cheaper car insurance than men and why there are separate insurance policies and companies for women. Believe me I work in the business.
Come on Mooniemad let's not trivialise the debate, we are talking about serious issues here.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2002, 08:23:28 pm by wood »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2002, 08:38:04 pm »
I don't know about cars but females make damn good pilots, comes from the free practise on the broomsticks,
Its a joke, please do not take offense, please do not have a go, sorry I said it now, still ;)
Just a male comment,
regards,
jet

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2002, 10:04:16 pm »
 To be honest wood, I was only jokin. The facts may show women as better drivers, but considering there are far more male drivers in the world, this factor may not be entirely true. I will now shut up as I can understand you. :-X Jet good joke  :D

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2002, 09:47:00 pm »
Speeding in Bluebridge Road - why do so many people do it? Our family's much loved young cat was killed last week by a hit and run driver - speeding of course. Not even the courtesy of stopping to see if there was anything to be done. Yes, cats run out in the road, but there is a decent chance of the driver stopping if they are only doing the 30mph that they SHOULD be doing. This maniac was doing at least 60 mph and my poor little daughter was looking out of the window and saw her pet killed. My 10 year old son also had a narrow escape down in the village trying to cross the road, and he's a sensible boy. I am truly sick and tired of the excuses some people make for not having traffice calming - "spoil the look of the village", "not enough money, and could be spent on other thing" etc etc. The ONLY thing that will stop these thoughtless, arrogant, selfish drivers who WILL NOT heed the speed limit is to put something in that will damage their goddam motorised ego-enhancers. I vote for the speed humps, all the way down Bluebridge Road - good enough for Brookmans Avenue, good enough for us! - and a safe crossing in the village for our youngsters and ALL of us.

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2002, 12:36:18 am »
I would just like to remind you that Brookmans Avenue is a private road and therefore is paid for by the people who live there. Hence the missing tarmac halfway down.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2002, 12:37:08 am by Mooniemad »

John_fraser

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2002, 11:32:36 am »
there is a decent chance of the driver stopping if they are only doing the 30mph that they SHOULD be doing.

Survival odds of being hit by a car go something like:
20mph 19 out of 20 pedestrians will survive
30mph 50 – 50
40mph 19 out of 20 pedestrians will be killed.
(These figures are quoted from memory, but I believe them to be the government’s accepted figures. )

So not only do cars travelling slower have more chance of avoiding an accident, the odds of the accident turning into a tragedy become drop.

Offline MC

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2002, 05:32:08 pm »
Well I shall be the lone voice speaking out for a considered approach as usual. Or maybe the Prince of Darkness depending on how you look at it.

I don't think speeding is the big deal a few people make it out to be. I'm on the record already about that so no surprises there. That said I see the concern and I recognise I don't live on a main road so perhaps some sort of considered and appropriate level of "control" is required.

More of that in a minute. I need to comment on Mermaids post first.

Firstly my truly honest sympathies regarding your cat. But, yes, cats do run out and I doubt whether even a driver going at 30mph could have stopped. Or they may have, depending on numerous other circumstances - Eg exactly when the cat ran out, whether the driver noticed it, whether the road was wet, state of their brakes etc. Such a person is not a hit and run driver - you make it sound like an assassination !

Maybe the person was speeding but like I say they could easily have killed it at 30mph too. I believe I am correct in saying (I think it's one of those cunning trick driving test questions actually) that it isn't a legal requirement to report death of a cat [although it is for a dog] and it is actually illegal or at least incorrect to just slam on the brakes if something runs out. The correct procedure being to look in the mirror first.

So let's not paint an emotive picture of the Essendon Cat Murderer zooming around the streets carrying out "hit and run" attacks on helpless family pets.

I'm going to agree there are drivers that are thoughtless, arrogant and selfish but I'd suggest it's not linked directly to speed. They are just like that anyway !

So the question becomes should we take extreme action because a cat got run over?

My question is where do you want to stop? Perhaps some additional measures if a hedgehog gets flattened or a fly smashed on a windscreen??

And I've just seen a post suggesting we should disable more roads; not just Bluebridge.

Shall we keep going? Let's do the whole thing properly shall we? I suggest we close Bradmore Way entirely and the whole village green just in case somebody is having a spot of bother getting where they want to go or believes that it is too difficult to look after their children properly.

I recognise that was inflammatory. But you see I'm "truly sick and tired" of people going on about this and implying that anybody who makes a contrary argument is an irresponsible idiot with no sense of the value of human life.

This forum is full of postings about alleged maniacs and nutters who are apparently recklessly endangering life every where they go. Well a few bits of shocking news. Firstly these are everyday people who believe they are driving safely; they are our neighbours or the guy round the corner. Secondly, again, they can't be very effective maniacs or we would have cars in gardens and regular visits from the paramedics.

But look, I'm not saying they are right. I'm just saying that we need rational arguments and we need proposals for measures that match the scope of the issue. It is not useful or impressive to dress the argument up with emotive phrasology that makes it sound like a massive death toll is only moments away.

The correct answer to all this is for people to be responsible. They are not. The next correct option is for the Police to arrest the people involved but, despite the huge Council Tax bills we have too few Police to even turn-up occasionally let alone undertake effective traffic policing.

Which leaves us with the old argument of should we inconvenience all of the population, spend limited public funds and disfigure the village with a possible impact on housing prices (I think these are all facts by the way) because of the "risk" of crossing the road.

Is it reasonable for the measures taken (and you can recognise there that I am talking about measures being taken - no "if") to inconvenience all of the law-abiding citizens of BP? Is it desirable for the whole place to look like a North London suburb rather than having the appealing country-esque appearance it has today?

The answer would - possibly - be yes if cars were careening off the road on a daily basis or if there had been any deaths or even injuries as a result of traffic or if we felt certain that more subtle methods would not work.

However, this is not an accident blackspot. Life is dangerous. You could have an accident anywhere. You take your own steps to ensure that you don't and quite rightly. It is not possible or reasonable for this action to extend so far that risk is eliminated. If it was we would have no roads at all and we would all sit at home wrapped in cotton wool.

So where does that leave us. Two things :
1) first of all can we all please recognise each others opinions and input as valid; whether we agree with it or not. Phrases such as "I am truly sick and tired of the excuses some people make for not having traffic calming " are an insult and not constructive
2) I thought the previous line of discussion on all this was excellent - it went along the lines of having some more minor measures at various locations on Bluebridge Road thereby reducing the opportunity to ever speed up.

With regard to 2) how about a crossing just before the village [perhaps opposite the church?] in order to a) let people cross and b) slow cars down anyway. And I think a genuinely active speed camera on the entrance route from Potters Bar.

There could also be a 2nd zebra crossing or whatever somewhere just down from the station to act as a deterrent at that end of the village.

Mark

Astra

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2002, 05:57:22 pm »
I have been driving now for nearly 30years and I have to admit I do break the speed limit but only on open roads with little chance of causing physical injury.  When I was taught to drive my instructor told me to be aware and try to anticipate problems so that I could act in advance rather than react in haste.  I was bought up in a town centre where nose to tail parking was a norm and children running out between parked cars, causing near misses, a daily event.  How we all survived I will never know.  

We all worry about our paintwork but can you possibly imagine how you would feel if you actually hit another human being with your car.  Perhaps we should all take a moment to think about that.

The majority of accidents are caused by speeding.  Whilst I think the speed limits in some areas are far too low, they are there for a reason.  They are there for the drivers safety as well as the pedestrians.

The only reason Bluebridge Road in Brookmans Park is not a black spot is the lack of people on foot.  We are a car driving lazy society who would drive 50 yards to get a loaf at the local shop rather than walk.  Our children are out of condition because they are taken to school by car, picked up by car, driven to their friends house by car etc etc.  They do not wear out coats or shoes, they grow out of them.  A policeman stopped me a few years back  for speeding in Bluebridge.  It was at 8.30 on a Sunday night in January and it was pouring with rain.  He gave me a ticket and tried to tell me that I might have hit a child running out in front of me and possibly killed it.  I told him that it was obvious that he did not live locally. No he lived in Borehamwood.  I explained to him that Brookmans Parks children do not walk anywhere let alone go out in the rain on a Sunday night in January.  He did agree with me.

I am not trying to excuse the fact that I was speeding.  Speeding is against the law.  I personally have reduced my speed through the village and have tried to be more aware but I can honestly say that the vast majority of the other residents in this village think that they are the law once they get behind the wheel of a car.  Generally the visitors to this village do not know the roads so well and tend to drive slower.  I also think it is about time that the use of non hands free mobile phones was banned in any vehicle.  I have had two near misses at the junction of Moffatts and Mymms by the same person totally losing control and overshooting the turn into Moffatts with one hand on the wheel, one hand on the gear lever and her head at a precarious angle with the phone propped to her ear.  She is not the only one.  I had a car with a male driver behind me in the village yesterday morning sending a text message while negotiating the bends on Moffatts.  I was keeping a close eye on him behind me as it would be my rear end damaged if I had to pull up fast.

I personally do not think that speed cameras will work.  Most of the residents would not feel the pinch if they were fined and the cameras do not reduce speed enough.  I do think that the flashing cameras in Goffs Oak are a good thing.  They do alert you that you are speeding rather than just catch you after the fact.  On the issue of speed humps,  I did hear that W&H council were not giving planning permission or installing any more humps in the borough.  I personnaly would not want one outside my house as they cause a dull thud every time someone goes over it.  The chicane in Welham Green does slow down the traffic but causes more near misses than I care to count.  I think we must face facts that it is the residents themselves that cause the problems and these are the people that need to change their ways.  Not an easy task.

As a last comment, hopefully somebody reading this long diatribe will look carefully at his/her driving and slow down.  We have had family pets killed - do we have to wait for a child or an adult to be killed before we take heed.

Astra

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2002, 06:57:49 pm »
There is no excuse for running anything over, even a hedgehog. If you can't stop you are going to fast and thats all there is to it.
If someone hits you from behind well thats tough.
Please don't even think of looking in your mirror for an emergency stop.
Metal mends, flesh breaks and bends.
regards,
jet

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2002, 07:50:16 pm »
Hear Hear Astra (except on the seed camera issue)

Two postings in one day from me - a record to beat my monthly average! ;)

I am almost ashamed to admit that since becoming a regular reader of Forum I am even more aware of my speed entering the village from Potters Bar. I should have always reduced to 30 BEFORE the speed sign. Now I annoy numerous drivers behind me by braking well in advance and sticking religiously to 30 and flashing my lights at any car zooming away in front of me (which has on several occasions caused them to slow down).

Mermaid was perhaps a little strong, but I generally agree that a visual deterrent will help. Bluebridge Road is the only true through road and is the one of main concern, I still believe that speed cameras set at the entrance from Potters Bar will help – not eliminate speeding but help control it. Even if all it does is make cars reduce to 30 at that point, hopefully they will not be be as fast as before further into the village.

On the other point raised by Astra : It is not the cost that will eventually stop fast local drivers but the points on their licences. Even though they (we !) could afford taxis for the important journeys it is the lack of convenience that will hurt.
ex resident - now living in New Zealand

Offline MC

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2002, 08:24:15 pm »
Jet - I think you will find that you ARE supposed to look in the mirror before doing an emergency stop.

Certainly if it is "just" (sorry) an animal then you are supposed to prioritise other human lives above it.

Harsh but there you go. I think if you just slammed on the brakes to save a cat/squirrel/dog etc and the car behind ploughed into you you would be on very difficult ground. Careless driving probably.

Mark

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2002, 08:57:04 pm »
The Highway Code is online and covers all issues including having to tell the police if you hit animals and the rules on emergency stops.  Click Here
« Last Edit: May 03, 2002, 08:58:02 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2002, 09:24:57 pm »
 Astra about what u said about kids being out of condition. As a kid, I myself am not out of condition. Infact I play football everyday and on saturdays I have been know to run to Old Owens and back to play football. You say about kids being driven everywhere. Well who are the stupid people that do the driving of the kids. I believe it to be the parents. So it must be the parents thought for them becoming unfit.

Offline Ellie

• Give me peace
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Zumba
  • Reading
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2002, 11:59:30 pm »
I agree with those who feel that something needs to be done about the speeding on Bluebridge Road (and I don't live on Bluebridge).
Because of previous postings on this site I have been very careful to reduce my speed to 30 coming into the village and on more than one occasion some idiot (different idiots) have been stupid enough to overtake me and accelerate away! So if I was doing 30 what were they doing - probably 50 or 60.
I also know that various mums from the primary school are reluctant to let their children walk home because they have to cross Bluebridge Road (mine haven't had to and I have been happy to let mine walk home).
I would think either speed humps or a camera where the speed limit comes down would help.
As for the point about there not having been an accident yet surely it's an accident waiting to happen. It is not just kids I am concerned about but the elderly as well.

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2002, 12:22:47 am »
I know I've whinged on about this before, on the old Have Your Say board, but the speeding problem is not limited to Bluebridge Road.

Getting about a fair bit on foot and by bike I really notice the problem areas - notably, the bendy bit of Moffats Lane (which is unfortunately very narrow as well) and the entire length of Mymms Drive - particularly the eastern end where cars do their best to get onto two wheels as they turn in from GNR.

I suppose it's tempting to speed when there's nobody about, but with local families appearing to get younger I have noticed more children playing in the street than before, so the dangers are there.

At the risk of repeating myself I still think of Brookmans Avenue as the only road locally where you do not get any speeding, so the humps must be doing some good.

And as for the general attitude of motorists to cyclists, well that's another matter...........

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2002, 01:49:02 am »
A good driver knows what is happening behind them.
If you are travelling at an appropriate speed you will be able to safely stop for any reason.
Personally I would rather write my car off than kill something.
Keep appropriate distance behind me and you will stop as well.
Shall we all just agree to stop justifying bad driving.
We all make mistakes, lets just hope no one else has to pay for our faults.
There is a general lack of pride in everything, it seems that good driving is looked on by certain people as cissyish.
If anyone wants to see the end result of a road "accident"take a trip to the local mortuary, they will let you in if you ask nicely and let you have a look. It is the best of lessons I've done it :'(
Lets just stick together for the common good and stop trying to out do each other with smartness, and yes its something I must learn to do as well.
regards,
jet

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2003, 09:26:01 pm »
Has anyone else experience being flashed by a vehicle behind for not breaking the speed limit? I was entering the village from Potters Bar this afternoon and slowed down to 30 mph at the Bluebridge Road bridge where the road enters Brookmans Park and the 30 mph speed limit.

A vehicle behind me appeared to accelerate as I reduced speed. The driver then continued to flash the headlights until I reached Moffats and turned right. The vehicle then accelerated and sped off into the village.

What made it worse is that I made the same trip two hours later to pick up a friend.  As I was telling him about it another vehicle sped up behind me and was so close that I could no longer see the headlights (it was dark).  And this was also on Bluebridge Road.

In my case such driving antics are counter productive, they just make me drive slower.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2003, 09:28:49 am by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Tags: