14 (43.8%)
Speed cameras
8 (25%)
Road humps
5 (15.6%)
Other or none - please post in forum
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Speeding along local roads  (Read 261739 times)

Offline bootneck

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Re: Speeding along local roads
« Reply #840 on: April 07, 2015, 08:41:52 pm »
Have a look at their website speedwatch

Offline Strad

• Forum Member
« Reply #841 on: April 07, 2015, 10:15:52 pm »
Sasquartch, civilians are not able to issue speeding tickets.

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #842 on: April 08, 2015, 10:54:14 pm »
I often wonder about having an HGV watch on Dixons Hill Road.  When I see an HGV going through I do stop and gaze fixedly at the reg no, hoping to frighten the driver.  Would we need the police and local authority involved to arrange some coverage of this sort?  Maybe a couple of people standing at the cross roads with clip boards taking down numbers and company names.

Offline bootneck

• Forum Member
« Reply #843 on: April 09, 2015, 07:25:48 am »
I agree HGV breaking 7 ton limit every day prime time 0800 onwards. If you have a look at the Speedwatch website there is equipment required and a police officer in attendance who has the power to prosecute offenders. White van man is also ignoring speed bumps. Come on local Mr policeman

Offline LMS

« Reply #844 on: April 09, 2015, 03:24:25 pm »
I totally agree, the size of some of the vehicles going through the village is frightening. I have mentioned this problem several times to the police, but nothing seems to be done about it. I have been known to wave my walking stick at speeding or large vehicles, but I don't think they care, they probably drive away laughing, and all I've achieved is to embarrass my daughter.

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #845 on: April 09, 2015, 08:26:06 pm »
Although we wouldn't be able to prosecute, if we took registration number and company name, we could at least report the drivers to their employers which might have a deterrent effect over time.

Offline Alex

• Forum Member
« Reply #846 on: April 09, 2015, 09:26:52 pm »
Leave it to the police, what are you trying to do?  Vigilantes went out with Roy Rogers and Trigger!

Alex

The following users thanked this post: Bedlam

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #847 on: April 09, 2015, 11:21:31 pm »
Leave it to the police, what are you trying to do?  Vigilantes went out with Roy Rogers and Trigger!

Alex

The police are ineffective hence why the problem exists - good luck to those who are trying to make a difference.

Offline William McCaskie

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Police Community Support Officer
« Reply #848 on: April 10, 2015, 04:46:48 pm »
I have spoken to Pcso GRiffin who covers Welham Green. She has been made aware by some residents that they wish to set up a speedwatch group for the village. 10 people need to sign up and the group leaders need to be   crb checked. Councillor Pieri has all the details and a registration form for the scheme.
Information on this scheme is on the police and crime commissioners website.
Myself and Sam have done speed enforcement in both Brookmans park and Welham green and will continue to do so in the future.
William McCaskie
Hatfield south
safer neighbourhood team
Hatfield police station
Comet Way
Hatfield AL10 9SJ

Offline bootneck

• Forum Member
« Reply #849 on: April 10, 2015, 06:41:23 pm »
If you believe there are vehicles speeding at more than the 30mph limit in your area please use this petition to gather support from your community. Once the petition is completed, with at least 10 names of people who live in separate addresses in the speeding locality, please emailit (preferentially) to:commissioner@herts.pnn.police.ukor post to:Hertfordshire Police and Crime Commissioner, Harpenden Police Station, 15 Vaughan Rd, Harpenden, Herts. AL5 4GZ.

Offline William McCaskie

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Police Community Support Officer
« Reply #850 on: July 21, 2015, 12:15:47 pm »
This morning I was on Bluebridge Road Brookmans park with Pc Wicks with the hand held speed gun. 10 vehicles were stopped with the average speed being 38mph.One vehicle was stopped doing 47mph. We then moved on to Hawkshead road were we have also received complaints of speeding vehicles. Again another 10 drivers were stopped doing well over the 30mph limit.
Please be advised that when I can get an officer to assist me we will be doing more regular checks around the village. Please drive to the advised speed limits especially now that the school children are out and about on there summer holidays.
William McCaskie
Hatfield south
safer neighbourhood team
Hatfield police station
Comet Way
Hatfield AL10 9SJ

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #851 on: July 21, 2015, 05:40:13 pm »
Good to see - were those responsible issued with a fixed penalty?

Offline Bedlam

« Reply #852 on: July 25, 2015, 11:46:44 pm »
Good to see - were those responsible issued with a fixed penalty?
Seconded

Offline Bedlam

« Reply #853 on: July 25, 2015, 11:57:37 pm »
IMO position your speed gun by the Brookmans Park Railway Station  bridge towards the Brookmans, especially at weekends and capture the regular 40/50/60 mph speedsters aiming to reach top speed before reaching the bend after the bridge. You'll have a field day and will need a new note-book and batteries for the speed gun!
But TBH I doubt that you will ever target this hot-spot for speeding in the village, AFAIK it has never been done before.

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #854 on: July 26, 2015, 12:09:38 pm »
Agreed. Then the insidious would claim police persecution.

Offline Bedlam

« Reply #855 on: July 27, 2015, 08:27:52 pm »
The person who reaches 40+ mph in Station Close would be first in my book.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:07:44 am by Editor »

Offline Bedlam

« Reply #856 on: July 27, 2015, 08:48:30 pm »
This morning I was on Bluebridge Road Brookmans park with Pc Wicks with the hand held speed gun. 10 vehicles were stopped with the average speed being 38mph.One vehicle was stopped doing 47mph. We then moved on to Hawkshead road were we have also received complaints of speeding vehicles. Again another 10 drivers were stopped doing well over the 30mph limit.
Please be advised that when I can get an officer to assist me we will be doing more regular checks around the village. Please drive to the advised speed limits especially now that the school children are out and about on there summer holidays.

Hi William, Please disclose how many speeding drivers were issued Speeding Tickets and/or Fixed Penaties for speeding during this operation.....

Offline Lynnfedarb

• Forum Member
« Reply #857 on: November 02, 2015, 06:35:12 pm »
Hertfordshire Constabulary is looking for volunteers to take part in the Drivesafe campaign.

This is made up of a number of volunteers (at least 10) to take out a speeding board to various locations within the area, to highlight the speed at which vehicles are travelling.
Warning letters will then be send out to those drivers driving above the required speed limit.

I understand that speeding in the village is an issue, so hopefully we will be able to come up with a number of volunteers to take part.

If you or anyone you know would like to help with this, please email me on lynn.fedarb2@herts.pnn.police.uk and  I will give further details.

Many thanks
PCSO Lynn Fedarb

The following users thanked this post: Mermaid, Editor

Offline Bedlam

« Reply #858 on: November 02, 2015, 06:56:54 pm »
Hertfordshire Constabulary is looking for volunteers to take part in the Drivesafe campaign.

This is made up of a number of volunteers (at least 10) to take out a speeding board to various locations within the area, to highlight the speed at which vehicles are travelling.
Warning letters will then be send out to those drivers driving above the required speed limit.

I understand that speeding in the village is an issue, so hopefully we will be able to come up with a number of volunteers to take part.

If you or anyone you know would like to help with this, please email me on lynn.fedarb2@herts.pnn.police.uk and  I will give further details.

Many thanks
PCSO Lynn Fedarb

So how do we apply ? Without this information we cannot contribute/offer our services.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #859 on: November 02, 2015, 07:06:32 pm »

Thanks Lynn. Iíve tweeted in case that helps find volunteers.

I've also added the Herts Drivesafe page below...

Hertfordshire DriveSafe
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

The following users thanked this post: Mermaid

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #860 on: November 02, 2015, 07:07:44 pm »
So how do we apply ? Without this information we cannot contribute/offer our services.

Check Lynn's post, relevant section copied below.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #861 on: November 02, 2015, 07:50:22 pm »
This is something that the Brookmans Park Residents' Association is currently looking into and we have invited Lynn to come and address a meeting. Our next meeting coincides with our AGM on Thursday 26th November, 8.00pm at the BP URC, all members welcome.

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #862 on: November 02, 2015, 07:53:57 pm »
Our next meeting coincides with our AGM on Thursday 26th November, 8.00pm at the BP URC, all members welcome.

Hi Mermaid, is it just for members or can anyone turn up? And will you add it to the diary when it's all confirmed, please?

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #863 on: November 03, 2015, 11:35:59 am »
Hi Mermaid, is it just for members or can anyone turn up? And will you add it to the diary when it's all confirmed, please?

Hi Dave, I had just added it to the calendar and linked it to a post, but just in case anyone hasn't seen the AGM post, yes, all residents are welcome, but only members of the BPRA can vote.

I have just heard from Lynn that she is able to attend our meeting on the 26th, so we are looking forward to hearing all the details about DriveSafe 

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #864 on: November 05, 2015, 04:50:59 pm »
Constabulary is looking for volunteers to take part in the Drivesafe campaign.

If you or anyone you know would like to help with this, please email me on Lynn.Darb2@hearts.Penn.police.UK and  I will give further details.

Many thanks
PCSO Lynn Darb

This initiative is very welcome, however this only deals with one element of major concern on our roads. what are your initiatives for those using hand held devices whilst driving, poorly maintained vehicles, tailgating etc etc. In my experience and what I witness at least one in three drivers on average are either texting or have a phone held to their ear.

The following users thanked this post: Editor, Bedlam

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #865 on: November 05, 2015, 05:01:18 pm »
This initiative is very welcome, however this only deals with one element of major concern on our roads. what are your initiatives for those using hand held devices whilst driving, poorly maintained vehicles, tailgating etc etc. In my experience and what I witness at least one in three drivers on average are either texting or have a phone held to their ear.

Agreed, it seems to me some people are simply ignoring the law and the highway code. There is also a lack of consideration for others, highlighted by Larry when he mentions tailgating, a particular problem when Moffats is single file traffic at rush hour. Also, some think it acceptable to park in the road blocking others around Bradmore Green while they nip into the shops. This is happening more and more often, even when there are parking places available - it seems the drivers can't be bothered pulling in and expect others to wait behind their stationary vehicles. At least some put their hazard lights on to show that they have created a traffic problem.  ::)   But there is another thread about parking so I will raise this point there if people want to comment.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #866 on: November 26, 2015, 03:37:10 pm »
A reminder that our PCSO Lynn Fedarb and a colleague will be coming tonight to the Brookmans Park URC to talk about Community DriveSafe,  immediately after the BPRA AGM.

If you cannot make the AGM at 8.00, there will be refreshments at 8.45 and then the talk on Community DriveSafe at 9.00pm.

Park carefully in the Church car park and no speeding on the way  ;)

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #867 on: December 02, 2015, 10:44:07 am »
A big thank you to Lynn and her colleagues for coming to talk to residents about the Community DriveSafe scheme and for bringing the equipment for us to look at. The scheme is advisory only, and is used for collecting data as evidence of a speeding problem in an area. In Bishops Stortford, where it has been running for some time, it has been instrumental in having traffic calming measures installed.

The scheme relies on volunteers and a minimum of 10 volunteers are required of which 2 must be Lead Volunteers. The 2 Lead Volunteers will be the point of contact for the police and will be responsible for collecting and returning the equipment and submitting the evidence in good time. It is good practice to have at least 4 volunteers at the site, as evidence needs to include not just the speed, but also the make, model, colour and number plate of each car.

Based on the evidence, speeding drivers will get a letter from the police. If they are caught again, there will be another letter, but caught a third time they will receive a visit from an officer.

To get this going we need to submit a petition to the Police and Crime Commissioner's office with at least 10 names on it and a list of speeding locations. You can sign and nominate a location, but you do not have to be a DriveSafe volunteer to sign the petition.

Now we need people to sign the petition, people to volunteer, and a list of locations. The list of locations can be put on here - we already have Bluebridge Road - petition signees and volunteers can contact me direct through brookmansparkresidentsassoc@gmail.com

The following users thanked this post: Editor, milkmade

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #868 on: December 02, 2015, 06:34:10 pm »
To get this going we need to submit a petition to the Police and Crime Commissioner's office with at least 10 names on it and a list of speeding locations. You can sign and nominate a location, but you do not have to be a DriveSafe volunteer to sign the petition.

Thanks Mermaid, can the petition be put online for people to sign?

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #869 on: December 02, 2015, 09:08:11 pm »
Thanks Mermaid, can the petition be put online for people to sign?

No it can't, it's not the usual type of petition which aims to capture as many signatures as possible. We just need a minimum of 10 people at different addresses to trigger a successful application (we have that already), then the important part is to have at least 10 volunteers with 2 Lead Volunteers, and this is what we're appealing for. We need replies through brookmansparkresidentsassoc@gmail.com and then we'll organise a meeting for all the volunteers

Tags: