Author Topic: Aircraft Noise  (Read 6270 times)

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
Aircraft Noise
« on: February 05, 2002, 10:19:26 pm »
Dear all,
Has anyone noticed the increase in commercial traffic lately.
The flights are getting later and starting earlier.
The aircraft seem to descend towards us and then level out by increasing throttle (noise) on approach to Stanstead in general.
I know we live near the beacon and it will not get any better.
I just wondered if others had noticed it and woken during the nght dreaming of airplanes etc.
comments wellcome.
Regards,
jet

Ed

Re: Aircraft Noise
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2002, 02:14:42 pm »
Hi - I've just moved to Brookmans Park and the aircraft noise definately annoys me more than the school coaches!

People may have noticed in the papers a plan for a new london airport, but the most likely scenerio is a new runway at Stansted (they're already widening the M11!) so the noise is only going to get worse! :(

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2002, 10:31:22 pm »
Thank the Lord,
I thought I was the only one,
jet

John_fraser

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2002, 03:24:26 pm »
The “new” airport is a cynical attempt to change the public’s attitude. It arrives just after Heathrow Terminal 5.  All along the objectors had been saying that the next stage was a new runway, which BAA denied. Once this plan gets some steam up, the new runway will look like the lesser of two evils. Probably with an extra one at Gatwick and/or Stanstead too.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2002, 04:30:57 pm »
Where is everyone flying to, will flying one day become passe?
A few years ago flying seemed special, it has now degenerated into a similar experience to the underground.
Compared to the car  ( domestically)airports take you from where you don't want to be to where you dont want to go.
Even to say Scotland when you work out the actual time, car or taxi hire its still better to drive.
Where do they get that food from!
regards
jet

Offline Mooniemad

• Opinions on many things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2002, 05:56:23 pm »
 To be honest I don't worry bout the planes. They do make noise but then they do their job well. When your on the plane you don't stop to think of those below you.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2002, 06:24:48 pm »
I love aeroplanes, they are wonderfull, I just noticed that commercial ones were starting earlier and finishing later and that it wakes me up :(
Just think it has been estimated that just one aircraft with say 200 on board can wake up over one million people :o
Makes me think should so few spoil it for so many ???
for no real reason other than profit for the airlines ::)
regards,
jet

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2002, 05:24:46 pm »
 My parents made me aware of another noise creator the other day. Only recently there has been a large increase in the numbers of Helicopters flying over Brookmans Park. These create loads of noise.

Astra

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2002, 07:52:57 pm »
Hi Mooniemad

I have to agree with you.  The helicopters are getting more frequent and they also appear to be flying lower and slower.  I have heard rumours that there are several people in Essenden and Cuffley who own their own helicopters which they land on their property.  Can you imagine having one of these inconsiderate people for a neighbour.

Astra

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2002, 09:38:20 pm »
 I suppose it would be annoyin, but then they do have enough land to accomodate a helicopter.

metroace

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2002, 05:42:03 pm »
Excuse me for jumping in on your village's website.  I am the webmaster of the This Is Longford website.  Longford is a historical village on the doorstep of Heathrow Airport.

There is a link from our site to a page giving details about how the proposed third runway at Heathrow might impinge on your tranquility.  click here.  (Note: the images on this page are large and slow to download but this is HACAN's fault, not Longford's).

I probably won't be back in this Forum so if you wish to comment on what you read on our site, please email webmaster@thisislongford.com

Thanks for your time...

Dave
« Last Edit: August 15, 2002, 06:13:18 pm by admin »

Offline Johnny Redd

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2003, 10:21:47 pm »
Sorry Guys and Girls,

If you didn't know it already, I'm afraid you live about 5 miles south west of one of the main aircraft navigation beacons serving London.

Guess what - it's called Brookmans Park (or BPK for short) and it's been in it's present location, just east of Essendon  and Epping Green since probably the sixties.

Depending on wind direction some Heathrow outbounds (at 6000') plus all Stansted/Luton Inbounds (at about 11,000') from the south route via BPK.

On a brighter note I would say that the airspace overhead is pretty saturated now and it's highly unlikely that the above in conjunction with proposed expansion at Stansted or Luton will lead to more traffic in our immediate area. (Otherwise I wouldn't have moved here.

PS:- Early morning flights are almost exclusively down to either Cargo (if very early) or Low cost carriers (starting around 6am)

Sorry

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2003, 08:34:44 am »
According to the BBC this morning...
A new runway at Stansted Airport is expected to be announced as the government's choice to cope with the predicted growth in air travel.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3322277.stm

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Ed

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2003, 05:31:36 pm »
Massive airport expansion announced:

The South East
Our first priority is to make best use of the existing runways at the major South East airports. Beyond that, we support the building of two new runways in the South East in the period to 2030.

We support development as soon as possible (around 2011/2012) of a second runway at Stansted as the first new runway for the South East. Noise should be strictly controlled, and loss of heritage and countryside kept to a minimum. We do not support options for two or three new runways at Stansted.

We support development of Heathrow provided that strict environmental limits can be met, including a new runway as soon as possible after Stansted (in the 2015–2020 period). We look to the operator to safeguard land for it. We propose an urgent programme of work to tackle the air quality problems at Heathrow and consider how best to use the existing airport.

We believe that land should be safeguarded for a new wide-spaced runway at Gatwick both on its own merits and in case the conditions attached to a new Heathrow runway cannot be met. But we will not act to overturn the planning agreement preventing a second runway before 2019. We do not support the option for two new runways at Gatwick.

We support the growth of Luton up to the maximum use of one runway, but we do not support a second runway.

We do not believe that there is a strong case for creating a second hub in the South East, whether or not a third runway is built at Heathrow.

We do not support a new airport at Cliffe, because of its ecological damage, safety risk and doubtful viability.

We do not support development of Alconbury for passengers or freight but we recognise the potential to move aircraft maintenance there from Cambridge.

We believe that there is considerable scope for London City, Norwich, Southampton, Southend, and Manston to help meet demand for air services. Nor should the potential of Lydd, Shoreham, and Biggin Hill be overlooked

http://www.dft.gov.uk/aviation/whitepaper/summary/sum_p2.htm

I'm glad I've moved back to Kent!!!

Ed

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2003, 05:35:42 pm »
I'm glad I've moved back to Kent!!!
Ed

NIMBY!

;D

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2006, 11:49:16 am »
Could this help cut back local aircraft noise, chaos, congestion and pollution?

From The Times Online.

"Dubai starts to circle on world's leading airports"

More than 23 million passengers landed last year at Heathrow without any intention of stopping in Britain. They put up with the airport’s notorious delays, circling in stacks for up to an hour, simply because it is the best-connected international hub. Dubai wants them to hop through the desert instead and is promising no delays and a seamless transfer between aircraft in as little as an hour.

Another advantage will be the absence of a noise curfew. Heathrow is limited to 16 flights between 11.30pm and 6am. Jebel Ali’s runways will operate around the clock.

Click here for the story

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 11:50:50 am by David Brewer »

Tags: