Author Topic: Fly tipping in the local countryside  (Read 179533 times)

Offline eric

• Opinions on some things
Re: Fly tipping in the local countryside
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2004, 07:09:26 pm »
"Manufacturers of cars and fridges should be forced to add on a disposal charge to their products, to be paid by their customers.   This could form a central fund, and local councils could claim the costs back, wherever the old items were dumped"
AND manufacturers of tyres, freezers, left boots, beds, paper, garden centres (eg  that sell the leylandii that people cut and dump ...), kitchen units, carpets, lino, tiles, and so on
So the councils could claim all the costs back from such dumping (cos they'd be responsible for ANY and ALL land ?)    Or landowners could reclaim too (surely?)
(but then the dumpers know it'll get sorted for them so they'll dump even more to avoid paying at Civic Amenity Points etc and reducing their profit from someone's house extension, new kitchen, or
[too depressing to continue

Offline supersonic

• Opinions on many things
  • Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2004, 09:40:25 pm »
"AND manufacturers of tyres,

Hi eric,

I changed 4 tyres on my car just before Christmas. I bought them from a reputable company in Watford and as part of the cost was charged about £1 per tyre for "environmental disposal".

rgds,
supersonic

catbirder

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2004, 01:16:46 am »
Hi Eric

1)  We're not talking about left boots, paper, etc., which is fly-tipping of another sort, but this suggestion only concerns large items.

2)  Land-owners could request the Council to remove dumped cars, fridges, etc. and it would be free of charge.

3)  Dumpers would be encouraged to take the items to the tip themselves, as there would be no charge.

Offline trinity

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2004, 02:24:10 am »

I changed 4 tyres on my car just before Christmas. I bought them from a reputable company in Watford and as part of the cost was charged about £1 per tyre for "environmental disposal".

This has been going on for soome time. I've been going to a
tyre place in Welwyn for the past 3-4 years, and the disposal
levy has always been on the invoice.

Offline john

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2004, 10:50:50 am »
in thinking I know what Eric's tried to say:

If people are charged a fee for "environmental disposal" when their tyres are changed, it makes one wonder where is the money fetching up and what's it being spent on ?  certainly we've never been able to get a contribution towards the cost of tidying off old tyres dumped on our land (those can we can't recycle as weights on silage clamps etc ...).   Some cynics have said it's just another form of sanitised taxation:  like "paying speed camera fines helps save children from being knocked down" ?

Dear CatBirder:
I see your  first point, but the ACCUMULATION of such smaller items is every bit as challenging   - for example manual labour + skips + time etc   versus   one pick-up of car-carcass on to a flatbed recovery vehicle -   and probably more environmentally damaging ...

As to the second point, again we've not been able to secure any help to remove burnt cars etc off our estate.    Increasingly a greater proportion of estates budgets are ending up going on tidying up after other peoples antisocial behaviour rather than improvements such as tree-planting       (and the PEOPLE who vandalise ...  damage the new stock or steal it,  ... is a further issue !)

As to the third:    surely dumpers aren't being encouraged to go to tips because there's no charge ?   It requires extra effort which they're not prepared to do (even those local householders who we predict will shortly start this year's Spring-time garden-tidying and rubbish-dumping hereabouts).  
"Bigger" units (eg  builders vans) are required to pay LandFill Tax (unless you feel that should be abolished ?) and again those peoples attitude seems to be "no - let's dump the problems and costs on everyone else"

I know I've contributed to coming back again to a regularly recurring theme which seems to show little sign of abating let alone solution.   Perhaps the Local PEAP and a proposed North Mymms Way will provide a focus for identifying blackspots, preventative measures, enhancement opportunities, etc  and getting hold of the taxation levies (on tyres, landfill, etc) to fund some betterment for us all ?

best wishes  -  john f  ('t rvc one)

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2004, 12:18:11 pm »
I think the reason there is so much fly tipping is because of the landfill charge and the refusal of dumps to accept 'commercial' waste.
I think the best way forward is to abolish charges and make dumps accept everything including materials like asbestos which often get fly-tipped or mixed in with other waste.
Only then can there be absolutely no excuse for fly-tipping (assuming the cost of disposal is the main reason for it) and then there would be a real chance at least some of the waste could be recycled.
Of course there will be a cost for this, however there is an undoubted cost in clearing fly-tipped waste. Possibly the savings made here coupled with help from manufacturers (I think for certain items this will soon be mandatory - I know there are regulations concerned with computer disposal).
At least then the countryside wouldn't be littered with waste.
Perhaps there would still be occasional instances of fly-tipping, at least these could then be investigated properly.

freespirit

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2004, 07:50:15 pm »
Is it fly tipping or just people dont care less!!!!  Walking over Gobions behind Bluebridge Avenue this morning and I see workmen coming from one of the houses to dump trees/garden rubbish etc in  the open space.  Why doesnt the owner pay to have it carried away instead of dumping it.

Totally amazed ???

Offline Margaret

« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2004, 10:55:22 am »
Hope you reported th owner and the workman! >:( >:(

Buster

« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2004, 12:03:11 pm »
The owners have paid for several skips since this work started so I can not believe that they know about this.  I agree with Margaret about speaking to the owner.

freespirit

« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2004, 11:48:04 pm »
Many thanks, but not aware who the owners are if you know them Buster a friendly word may help the cause.  Just interested to see if we want the open space to be used in such a manner.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2005, 11:32:47 am »
The Environment Agency has been given new powers to recover the cost of clearing up after fly-tippers. From now on, offenders will have to foot the bill. New measures in the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act also give local authorities more effective investigatory powers to catch fly-tippers, as well as the capacity to remove abandoned cars from the streets. Click here for more. Below is a picture taken down Bradmore Lane on Tuesday, 18 October, 2005.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2005, 12:05:19 pm »
I passed the abandoned caravan whilst out cycling on Sunday and thought it particularly ironic that stuck in the window is a sticker for something like 'British Association of Vehicle Dismantlers' or similar.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2006, 02:01:21 pm »
I've just been on a pleasant walk from North Mymms to South Mimms and back over the old coaching road. I noticed that Hertsmere Council has put up signs warning that fly tippers will be caught on CCTV. As a result there is no fly tipping in Blackhorse Lane on the south side of Hawkshead Wood.

Could any of the councillors who use this site please comment on whether similar measures have been considered for Bradmore Lane and other local fly tipping blackspots? It looks like a fairly convincing deterrent.

David
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 04:28:28 pm by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2006, 03:29:53 pm »
I recently drove south down Bradmore Lane and passed a parked car driven by an elderly gentleman!   I did notice that the car had sacks of garden waste on the back seat.   Five minutes later I drove back the other way to see the car driving towards Brookmans Park, and sure enough, the said rubbish was now lying in the layby.   I following the car and was shocked when the driver pulled into a house in Peplins Way!   

We all know that country lanes are renouned for being used by some for dumping rubbish but I really didnt expect it to be a local resident.   What is wrong with using the local council dump, there is one in Cranborne Road or one on the A414 at Hatfield.

Please get rid of your rubbish sensibly, and dont dump it on your own doorstep!

Offline Mr Man

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2006, 12:26:58 am »
Did you get out of your car when he pulled into his house, and ask him why he dumped the stuff?

Have you grassed him up to the council?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2006, 06:29:35 am »
I have merged this post with an existing thread on fly tipping.

There is a form on the Welwyh Hatfield Council site where you can report incidents of fly tipping.

Click here for the page with the link to the form.

David

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2006, 06:29:14 pm »
That is unbelievable peppermint. Make sure this guy is reported and named and shamed if poss. Hopefully a one off but blimey.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2006, 08:14:04 pm »

I really didnt expect it to be a local resident.   What is wrong with using the local council dump, there is one in Cranborne Road or one on the A414 at Hatfield.

There is absolutely no excuse at all for this man if he's a local resident, he doesn't even have to make the effort to get to Cranborne, we are lucky in having a garden waste collection service twice a month. What's wrong with the man! Report him.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2006, 09:45:18 pm »
I don't think we are supposed to use the tip at Cranborne are we as it's Hertsmere.  Aren't we supposed to used the Cole Green one?

(Like most people round here though, I do use Potters Bar)

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2006, 09:59:16 pm »
The waste sites are run by Herts County Council (or their neanderthal contractors) so you can go to any of them. Just don't try to take anything away with you - surely the ultimate in recycling.

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2006, 08:27:13 am »
The Community Centre car park is a regular site for fly tipping. Often this is garden rubbish too. On Sunday various piles of garden waste which had been dumped opposite the recycling site a while ago had been set alight and was well ablaze when by chance I visited the Centre to check that everything was ok. With the dry weather, this could easily have spread. Within minutes the lads from Hatfield fire station had extinguished it. Until next time....

The Centre's rubbish bins are also used by fly tippers. The Centre is NOT the local rubbish disposal site. Yes W/Hat Council have recycling banks nearby, but they are on land belonging to Thames Water, not the Centre. Our rubbish bins are on our land away from the recycling centre but have to be visible otherwise they won't get emptied, besides they are rather large to move. Not that this stops the darling youths pushing them, contents and all into the nearby stream,

As usual the volunteers of the Centre are left with the clear up. Thanks a bunch!   >:(

« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 08:28:25 am by ferdie »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2006, 04:57:52 pm »
A year or two ago my wife and I were driving down Hawkshead Lane and noted the registration number of an overweight vehicle.  When I tried to report it to the police they would take no action unless there were at least two independent witnesses.  My wife and I are not independent in their terms.

On that basis I cannot see the police taking any notice of Peppermint's observations, and it would just be the council that would clear the material.

A sad world we live in.  And don't even think about withholding part of your Council Tax until the fly-tipped material is removed!  Kill the person but do not withhold money  (That was a joke of course - please do not take it seriously).  You might get let off because you were acting under duress.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 07:50:47 pm by Bob Horrocks »

John_fraser

« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2006, 05:04:52 pm »
Theoretically it may still be worth reporting them to the council, as they may be able to match the rubbish to the person or they may have been seen and reported by a second witness.

Alternatively, I’d run with idea of killing them and claiming diminished responsibility.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2006, 05:30:37 pm »
Several points on this.

1   Not defending the polluter of Peplins but my wife reminds me we have been waiting over  a year for a an enviro bin for our property in Bluebridge but due to changes in budget etc we are still waiting. As for GWR we have been told recently we will have to buy one which is ok but they dont have any!?

2   We actually compost most of our stuff and have a good fire occasionally although that is probably not as enviro friendly as it could be.

3   Our lads who work for us on other properties have to tour the county trying to persuade a dump to take garden rubbish from a van-they usually find Potters Bar and Borehamwood ok if you are nice to the guys ( perish the thought a fiver changes hands occasionally)  and one lives in Luton so a lot ends up there. Their rules seem to be entirely different.

4   Have you seen the dustmen on a Thursday inspecting every black bag and happily leaving one with a few grass cuttings on the verge rather than put in the crusher? Are they really being told to spend their time doing that? Not convinced the council is entirely with us on this.

Offline Susan

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2006, 07:05:08 pm »
Many years ago, I used to work for a local council, and they employed people part of whose job was to collect dumped rubbish and go through it for clues. They were always delighted when there was enough evidence to bring a prosecution.

However, even if there wasn’t enough evidence, they would still go round to speak to people, which I’m sure had a deterrent effect.

It’s certainly worth reporting. If they’ve done it once, they’ve probably done it before and got away with it.

Generally, I’ve found that the people who drop litter are often not those we expect, but people who live round the corner and look just like us.  :o

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2006, 10:12:31 am »
Re. the question about whether I confronted the Peplins Polluter.   No, but I did make sure that he knew I had seen him.   Sorry I am a bit of a coward when it comes to confrontation.

I did report it to the council so hopefully he will be brought to task over it.

Incidentally, whilst the waste was garden waste, it also included the usual broken flower pots, tools, etc.  I don't know if that can be put into the garden bins.

Perhaps he was put off of going to Cranborne dump, after all, those steps up to the skips  can be a hard climb when loaded down with black bags!!!     

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2006, 10:28:12 am »

Well done for reporting him!

We can only put 'compostable' things in the brown bins, ie grass cuttings, plant and hedge clippings etc.

The Cranborne site is always manned when it's open and they are very helpful if someone is struggling. Even if they're busy, he could leave the sacks near the bottom of the steps and they will be dealt with - so still no excuse!

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2006, 08:48:43 pm »
Beware, anyone who drives down Bradmore Lane today.    I have just passed some fencing with nails pointing skyward lying dumped in the middle of the road.    I did move some of it over to the verge.   

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2007, 08:44:06 am »
I was driving along Bradmore Lane last night and saw a Ford Fieasa type of car that looked suspiciously like it was dumping rubbish as it was parked by a pile of rubbish and the passenger door was open. The vehicle bore a registration plate. I took a photograph.

It is a discrace to dump stuff when there is a perfectly good refuse tip nearby. What happened to pride?

OK, it was a person dumping stuff, not the car before I get picked up.

Edited to remove identification
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 09:17:44 am by John Fraser »

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2007, 09:49:13 am »
I believe parked up cars on Bradmore Lane at night are not always dumping rubbish... :o)

Reminds me of that old Essex joke - How does an Essex girl turn the light off before sex?  She shuts the car door...

Tags: