Author Topic: Fly tipping in the local countryside  (Read 180425 times)

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
Re: Fly tipping in the local countryside
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2003, 10:00:30 pm »
As i drove down Bradmore Lane at 7-30 am Saturday the council were clearing the mess.
2 Refuse carts, One Bulldozer and about 7 men.
all on Saturday overtime.
One can guess the cost at £500 plus!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 10:00:48 pm by jet »

Offline steve

• Opinions on some things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2003, 12:52:49 am »
jet

double that more like!!!

Offline Swan

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2003, 12:30:03 pm »
Do the council go through all the dumped rubbish bags for names and addresses?

If the council is anything like the one where I used to live in Highgate, then the answer to your question is yes.

I recall a number of my neighbours there receiving summonses, after being too lazy to put out there rubbish on the appointed day, and just dumping it under a lamppost on the corner of our road.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 12:34:24 pm by Swan »
Godwin's Law:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Offline Neville Hobbs

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2003, 04:10:47 pm »
If the council is anything like the one where I used to live in Highgate, then the answer to your question is yes.  

Good. Perhaps the scum that dumped this rubbish will be caught.

John_fraser

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2003, 01:43:59 pm »
If they are caught, what is the typical punishment?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2003, 06:22:39 pm »
Punishment should be 100 hours Community Service cleaning up rubbish!  That would teach them a lesson but sadly they will be told not to be naughty and let off with a caution.

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2004, 11:39:12 pm »
Took a detour down Grubs Lane today, guess what I found in exactly the same spot that I found all that asbestos waste last year? An enormous mountain of brand new christmas trees still in their plastic nets. There must be at least two whole lorry loads there. Surely someone must have seen them being dumped? They couldn't have been taken on a tipper so must have taken a long time to offload.

ATG

ps Had the digicam with me but didn't think I'd be able to post a picture. Perhaps Dave can take a stroll up there tomorrow.
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2004, 11:40:34 pm »
Sorry, location is between the forks with Westfield and Woodside Lanes.

ATG

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2004, 11:43:49 pm »
Hi ATG,

I actually took a walk down Bulls Lane today and saw a load at the edge of the road just up from the railway bridge.

Click here for the location

There must have been about three dozen unwanted Christmas Trees dumped there, all still in their plastic netting jackets.

Unfortunately the camera is being serviced, so I couldn't take a picture.

:-/
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 02:04:21 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2004, 11:49:52 pm »
Sorry, location is between the forks with Westfield and Woodside Lanes.

ATG

That must have been quite a load of unwanted Christmas trees if they dumped a similar size load at that location too.

Click here for a map of ATG's Christmas dump discovery

Click here for the location of DB's

« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 12:36:39 am by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

John_fraser

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2004, 10:53:07 pm »
Iíve just driven down Broadmore Lane. It looks like a dumper truck has deposited itís load without even stopping. There was hardly enough room to get my car past.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2004, 10:55:19 pm »
Another user of this site has just mailed about this John. I think he is posting later. I noticed this too while cycling near another fly-tipping hot-spot in Grubbs Lane. It seems a new technique for fly tipping is to drive along and tip-as-you-go. I suppose that way vehicles following behind can't get the number, and those in front don't see what has happened until it is too late?

:(

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2004, 10:59:38 pm »
Probably dumped from some grreat big 4WD
regards,
jet

John_fraser

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2004, 11:08:04 pm »
Sad man that I am, I did think to myself as I drove by, "Well this is too narrow for a Range Rover to get past" :)

AgentOrange

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2004, 11:26:53 pm »
Massive intolerant sterotyping! Next you'll be saying that 4X4s are weapons of mass destruction and caused the two Gulf wars! Stick to the point not your prejudices. :-X

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2004, 12:00:31 am »
I think we will find that multi drive vehicles were used to transport the weapons of mass destruction.
However now that the yanks now kill all the rainforests with their huge energy consumption they no longer need to use the defoliator "agent orange" any more.
Free speech works in all ways.
regards,
jet

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2004, 12:20:49 am »
Further to this latest bit of tipping, I went out for a quick burst on the mountain bike this afternoon and at 4pm discovered this very heap in the middle of Bradmore Lane, about 100yds in from the junction with Station Road, looking like it had just arrived. Absolutely right in the middle of the carriageway, no attempt to get it in the field entrance, and no way for cars to get by. Four baths, black plastic water tank, three old water geysers, timber, a short length of RSJ, etc, the usual garage clearance job. Shame I didn't have the digicam with me. Someone must have moved it a bit since then.

A lady driver was coming from the other direction who said she had nearly been run off the road by a van going fast in the opposite direction towards Water End, with a name marked on it which I am pondering in my heart. Might just have been someone late home who had just done a u-turn to get out of it, but I seem to remember a couple of months ago trailing a suspicious open backed van with the normal fly tipping stuff in the back, who was going quite slowly and I was sure he was hoping I would overtake and leave him to his business, but as we got to Bradmore Lane he suddenly sped off through the village - I am sure this van also had something similar painted on it, looked like ex county council or highways.

Anyway, there you go, what a nice place we live in. Have the cameras been installed yet?

ATG
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 12:22:17 am by Alfred_the_Great »

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2004, 10:06:49 am »
Talking about dumped Christmas trees,i noticed while running up the A1000 in early Jan that there was a lot of Christmas trees,still in their netting outside the cafe/lorry park near the Welham Green roundabout.
This is purely hyperthetical but i just wonder whether these same trees may gone for a walk down Grubbs Lane etc....

Offline Jane B

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2004, 10:28:48 am »
As you may already be aware - be careful if you go down Bradmore Lane (towards Water End) - some lowlife decided to dump all the rubbish in the middle of the road instead of a lay-by this time - as I discovered in the pitch black last night........I was also trying to explain to the kids this morning as we went back past it as to why someone would have done this.....unfortunately I just couldn't find the right words....for the kids I mean!!!!! >:(

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2004, 07:26:31 pm »
Someone kindly moved the truck load of old plumbing parts and rubbish to the side of Bradmore Lane, so it is safe to travel down again -- until the next time that is.

John_fraser

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2004, 11:54:51 pm »
At least someone moved it to the side of the road. Yesterday night it was almost blocking the road.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2004, 12:08:14 am »
Perhaps the fly-tippers, having read of the dismay and discontent expressed in this forum following their actions, had a pang of conscience and returned to the scene to make partial restoration for their act?

:)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 12:09:18 am by admin »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2004, 09:01:59 am »
Welwyn Hatfield Council has a facility on its website for reporting fly tipping online. Click here to see the form.

Most big fly tipping incidents are usually reported on this forum and in this thread. So, if people continue to post in this thread when there is a big dump somewhere locally, and others, concerned about the issue, then tell the council using the online form. The local authority will have a better picture of the regular fly tipping hot spots and, perhaps, target their efforts at prevention.

I've just filled the form in regarding Bradmore Lane, but my feeling is that the more that do so the more likely something will happen.

Offline eric

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2004, 12:10:51 pm »
why's there this expectation that land owners should simply have to cough up and pay for everyone elses dumping of burnt out cars, rubbish, etc ?      If everyone wants to enjoy the countryside, then everyone should help pay for such excesses ...

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2004, 01:32:21 pm »
Fully agree that landownders shouldn't have to cough up, but I'm sure I pay my council tax for something....  ;D

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2004, 02:38:00 pm »
The problem is dumping on privately owned land. You might have a right of way but the land is owned by someone.  WH Council does remove dumped vehicles from streets but it is to the land owners' responsibility if the car is on their land.  I assume WH Council will charge the land owner if the Council removes it.

Offline eric

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2004, 06:43:35 pm »
so for a dumped car we are happy with the natural justice of:

1:   the owner who dumps the old car (fridge, scourings from the latest bathroom upgrade, etc) getting off scot-free (?  is that pc these days ?)  95+% of the time

2:   everyone subsidising the owner by getting the dump taken off the street by the Council

3:   but let's make the land owner pay for it all out of his/ her own pocket  -  whilst we complain about the Green Belt view being spoilt as we stand there whilst our dog.    
And bet it'd be different if the land was someone's front garden rather than some quiet field off Bradmore Lane  

No wonder it's all going steadily downhill

Offline trinity

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2004, 12:31:41 am »
why's there this expectation that land owners should simply have to cough up and pay for everyone elses dumping of burnt out cars, rubbish, etc ?      If everyone wants to enjoy the countryside, then everyone should help pay for such excesses ...

Grab a couple of likely culprits. Tell them to clear up the mess ("no, we don't care if it was you or not") or they'll get shot.

:-)

catbirder

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2004, 01:36:18 am »
Manufacturers of cars and fridges should be forced to add on a disposal charge to their products, to be paid by their customers.   This could form a central fund, and local councils could claim the costs back, wherever the old items were dumped.

Offline trinity

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2004, 02:35:49 am »
Manufacturers of cars and fridges should be forced to add on a disposal charge to their products, to be paid by their customers.   This could form a central fund, and local councils could claim the costs back, wherever the old items were dumped.

That sounds awfully like a hypothecated tax to me. And we know how much the more kleptocratic parts of our government hates those.

Tags: