Author Topic: Fly tipping in the local countryside  (Read 190170 times)

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh. Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
Re: Fly tipping in the local countryside
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2007, 09:54:12 am »
PS: Neville - I'd check that photograph if I were you, you may have caught more than you bargained for...

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2007, 02:35:48 pm »
Ah, the English hedgerow in spring, complete with wild Dunlop, ragged Firestone and lesser Michelin. A trip down Bradmore Lane.

:-\

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2008, 09:48:45 pm »
Once again the North Mymms Youth & Community Centre car park is covered with illegally dumped garden waste. Hebe, lilac, conifer and other general garden waste, plus concrete fence posts, concrete paving slabs and other waste. If you have used a 'I'll clear that garden for you mate' cold caller, please think what you are doing to honest and legal tax paying traders and the cost to your local community centre a charity who has to clear up the mess as a result of your 'bargain' offer. Please stop using them.

Meanwhile, if you drive into the Centre car park at the moment to use the recycling facilities, watch out as you'll drive into the fly tipped material until it is removed.

Police and Welwyn Hatfield Council are aware.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2008, 02:53:32 pm »
The BBC has a feature on 'pay-as-you-throw'. A chum of mine in Zurich has to buy black bin bags (half the size of ours) for 5 a bag. He says it forces them to recycle everything. I would just worry that it may increase fly-tipping.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Strad

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2008, 04:22:20 pm »
There was an item on the BBC's today programme this morning. A person living in Belgium was explaining that their waste bin was weighed at the time of collection. They then paid according to the weight. Their account had to be in credit for the collection to take place. If it was not, then the bin remained unemptied. I think that this sytem would also encourage fly tipping.

Offline Alex

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2008, 06:47:40 pm »
Culturally we are very different to the Begiums and so I agree it is unlikely to work over here. I totally agree fly tipping will increase- heaven help us!

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2009, 08:46:54 pm »
I have just driven up Bradmore Lane and what looks like asbestos has been dumped in a layby. 

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2009, 03:38:30 am »
That won't be cheap to get removed. I presume the council have to hire contractors to dispose of it?
I have a licence to remove bonded asbestos in Oz.  It's costly. As a matter of fact, it's such a pain in the backside to remove and dispose of due to all the red tape I have to go through, I either put a big price on it or don't go near it at all!

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2009, 01:35:06 pm »
It cost the Community Centre over 800 a couple of years ago to have 2 asbestos garage roofs removed which were vandalised.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 05:43:09 pm by Ferdie »

Offline GGDT

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2009, 01:13:27 pm »
My journey to work this morning took me past 3 rather unsightly piles of rubbish which have been dumped beside local roads.

One lot on Hawkshead Road near the vet college farm and two lots on Bradmore Lane.

One of the piles of rubbish on Bradmore Lane looked to contain several corrugated roof panels of the type that used to be made out of asbestos (although I dont know if these actually are).

Anyone know who you need to speak to at the council to get this stuff cleared up?

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2009, 04:21:03 pm »
Looking at the Welwyn Hatfield Council website there is an online form for reporting flytipping.

http://www.welhat.gov.uk/environmentplanning/rubbishwasteandrecycling/flytipping

Offline Silver

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2009, 07:09:50 pm »
I reported the asbestos and other dumped stuff to the council yesterday. Hope they will shift it soon.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2009, 09:16:18 am »
I reported the asbestos and other dumped stuff to the council yesterday. Hope they will shift it soon.

Hi Silver,

I get the feeling the council is on the case. The area was cordoned off (although the tape has been broken) with cones and orange lights. Seems someone may be on the case. Here are some pics taken this morning, along with another bit of fly tipping further up Bradmore Lane and some fly tipping spotted at Wild Hill yesterday.

David

Bradmore Lane

Bradmore Lane

Bradmore Lane, cordon cut

Bradmore Lane

Wild Hill

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2009, 09:22:50 am »
I know for a fact that the council are on the case - apparently it was reported a few weeks ago but the council's contractor Serco is only under obligation to act within, I believe, 20 working days. Given the fact that asbestos is hazardous waste this seems rather a long time given how dangerous asbestos can be. Of course it may well be that the dumped waste is NOT asbestos, however we can't be sure.

I have spoken to a reporter at the WH Times so expect to see a story at some point soon.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2009, 09:29:18 am »
It looks to me as if someone has had to dispose of an old garage. Further up there are concrete posts and panels (see pics above).

The way the material is spread out suggests it had been on the back of a truck that can tip. If that's the case it is probably a contractor rather than a private individual.

So it probably comes down to the issue that if you are having any rubbish removed, that you must make sure that the contractor is legit and will dispose of the waste legally.

Some early clues will be whether they ask for cash in hand, which is usually a tax fiddle, and whether they have a suspicious company name and only use mobile numbers.

The sad thing is that there will be home owners who are happy to hire cowboys and turn a blind eye to the consequences, unfortunately.

:-\

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2009, 02:33:25 pm »
Hazardous waste disposal experts have been examining the sheeting dumped in Bradmore Lane to assess whether it is a health risk and how to remove it.  Click here for more details.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2009, 02:42:54 pm »
The problem for the small sole trader who is doing small scale jobs is how to dispose of locally and legally. Most local trade sites charge by the ton. Finding one that will take small amounts is almost impossible. I tried and using all the helplines and contact numbers provided by HCC ended up speaking back to the same people I tried in the 1st place - Waste Aware. That included W/Hat Council, The Environment Agency, local trade waste sites and domestic. In the end I had to refuse to take waste, leaving it for customers to resolve, hardly customer friendly and no wonder there is so much fly tipping. The minimum cost I was quoted by one tip was 160. When one has done a job that costs for arguments sake 50, but have to charge and additional 160 to dispose of waste, no wonder people are attracted to the 'cash in hand mob'. Of course the country as a whole has to work out a way of avoiding land fill, but making it easiler for legitimate waste disposal would help.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2009, 03:26:13 pm »
All good points, Ferdie. It's a difficult one. I wanted to get someone in to remove a pile of old fencing, but I am not sure who to trust. I would hate to see my fencing in Bradmore Lane. I'd feel obliged to collect it up and take it home again. I guess the correct way to do it is to break it down into small stacks and make 20 trips to the tip myself. I suppose that is allowed.

David

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2009, 07:40:09 pm »
I guess the correct way to do it is to break it down into small stacks and make 20 trips to the tip myself. I suppose that is allowed.
Yes, but there are cameras that record repeat visits and then you could find yourself classed as a 'trade waste disposer'. That happened to a friend of mine in Knebworth who was clearing out his mother in laws house! Needless to say he carried on anyway and actually heared no more.... but then one could get up to an 85K bill for illegal use of domestic waste site!!! Have a bonfire instead.... there haven't been many posts on that thread recently   >:D

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2009, 07:48:50 pm »
Hi Ferdie - Did you try Hurleys Skips in Cranbourne Rd, Potters Bar? Randall Hurley is a friend of mine and he is licensed to take industrial and domestic waste.  Worth a go if they are stll there.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2009, 11:23:03 pm »
Stevea, Thanks, without advocating or advertising, Hurleys have been of assistance to the Community Centre and I know of them. The 'Hippo Bag' scheme operated nationally through some of the DIY chains is also of use, at a cost.

The problem for small sole traders is often that they have insufficient waste to fill a skip, or pay the official route, not to mention the 'waste carrier license' that is required & I defy anyone to negotiate the Environment Agencies web site and come out with a clear understanding of what is and what isn't required. Aside from all this, no wonder there is so much fly tipping. Whilst fines can easily be around 20K for a 1st offence and unlimited if it goes to Crown Court, one load of tree cuttings or a pile of old fence panels look very much like another, trying to trace a source is nigh on impossible.

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2009, 05:01:12 am »
Hi Ferdie. I think there's a few commercial tipping sites about the BP area. Not all charge by the ton - some by the cubic metre - and it's true - you do need a waste carrier license' - that's been the biggest rip off if ever I've seen one. I can understand 'big boys' having to have one, but the average sole trader or Joe Bloggs public - why do they need one? So what they're saying is - when you take your rubbish to the local council tip, you should have one of these licenses? Who polices that? Most commercial sites I know, not mentioning any names, would turn a blind eye to it. What you'll find with the private commercial tips and skip companies being expensive is that because they are just transfer stations, they in turn have to take it to government registered landfill sites where they are clobbered with huge landfill taxes. 

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2009, 11:18:55 am »
According to recent newspaper articles, there has been an increase in fly-tipping where councils have mircochips on wheelie bins to measure and record rubbish collected from each household (ha ha ha - their computer systems were inadequate as usual).  What a surprise.  Does nobody think through these new ideas and consider the consequences?

Thank goodness our council does not seem interested in this nonsense.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2009, 10:28:34 pm »
Sasquartch - You'll probably find the real reason why the asbestos hasn't been removed for so long is because the company with the contract to remove it just hasn't got the staff with the appropriate licenses. The problem with these companies is that people come and go all the time and you can't just go and get a license. Each individual has to obtain a license so they can remove asbestos. First of all you have to be booked in to take a course which are held every so often at a huge expense and then depending on the company you're working for, they will require you privately to have a medical and chest x ray. Again at a cost. None of this happens overnight and it can take weeks to obtain a license. The company itself also needs a license and their vehicles has to be licensed to carry asbestos as well. More money. The biggest joke of all, at least it was 10 years ago, you could only tip asbestos at an "open" landfill site in Dartford!!  I could go on and on about asbestos - you wouldn't believe the red tape in Oz that I had to go through mind you, at least here they are tipping it in old mine shafts!

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2009, 11:16:10 am »
The asbestos was removed this morning.   I drove down Bradmore Lane at 8.45am and they had wrapped it in thick plastic.   I asked one of the men was it asbestos and he confirmed that it was.   I cant believe that both the council and the police knew about it and yet it took four weeks to arrange for its removal but at least it has gone now.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2009, 11:00:30 pm »
What surprises me is if this is so dangerous, what do these people who dump this do when they rip it up and chuck it on their trucks and fly tip it? Surely they are at great risk? Clearly they either don't care, don't understand or actually it is not that dangerous? Perhaps because it's all cash in hand they live for the moment, enjoy the money & when they get ill with asbestosis they know you and I will pay for their treatment in our hospitals via our taxes that they don't pay? ... or am I being non pc here?  :icon_scratch:

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2009, 04:55:10 am »
Something to think about whilst rattling through ye olde tunnels on your way to work;-
http://my.telegraph.co.uk/sigourd_shack/blog/2008/04/28/asbestos_exposure_a_ticking_time_bomb_for_london_underground_users

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2009, 08:37:11 am »
Perhaps people can post again here as soon as they see any fly tipping with the date they spotted it and the location.  Pictures would be good, too.

If we keep a log here, perhaps we can keep it as a record to help the authorities keep a tab on it.

Thanks for all the updates people have added so far.

David

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2009, 08:27:47 am »
An old friend of mine, Louis Smith, who used to own Smiths Skips in Borehamwood, had his premises by the railway sidings at the station. He was forced to close down as the railways sold the land to developers. Fly tipping increased by 50% in the Borehamwood area. The railways continued to sell of sidings, traditionally used by skip companies, all over the UK. This resulted in extensive fly tipping and nowhere for the skip companies to go.
Government and local councils should really start looking at this problem quite seriously because all the skip owners I have spoken to are not getting help to set up elsewhere. They are facing the same stigma that a gypsy site receives. Soon there will be no commercial tips - there's only a handful left in the area like Hurleys in Potters Bar, Winters in New Southgate, McGovern in Hendon, O'Donoghues in Cricklewood etc  Nearly all bar one on railway sidings.....it's not a good situation. Fly tipping is going to get a lot worse.

Tags: