Author Topic: Fly tipping in the local countryside  (Read 190266 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Fly tipping in the local countryside
« Reply #390 on: January 16, 2016, 06:37:16 pm »
Need a freezer cabinet? One has been dumped along West End Lane, Wildhill.  ::)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline peppermint

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #391 on: January 18, 2016, 10:12:22 pm »
This evening at 7.45 pm as I drove towards brookmans park on hawkshead lane a yellow tipper truck pulled out in front of me from the field entrance just beyond the vet college farm.   It still had its tipper raised and had just dumped a load of soil.

I followed it into the village, it was driving at 55 mph with its tipper still raised.   It turned into the travellers site on Bulls Lane.   I got its number plate and I will be contacting the council in the morning.

Offline Nobby

« Reply #392 on: January 18, 2016, 10:38:24 pm »
Well done, Peppermint. The police should be interested as well.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #393 on: January 20, 2016, 09:53:17 am »
@WelHatCouncil responded to my tweet and invited me to call to discuss. I've just spoken to a woman in the relevant department. She explained that the rubble was logged as having been picked up, however I pointed out that there were several dumps spread over a fair distance along West End Lane. Perhaps they just picked up one. I told her that it looks like someone has driven along while another person was chucking the bags out of the back of a vehicle.  Some are buried in the hedgerow. She said they would go back and take a closer look along the route.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #394 on: January 20, 2016, 10:34:16 am »
I wonder if this 'dumping' in West End Lane is the same people?  :(

whtimes.co.uk collapsed pony found dumped in Herts Village is euthanised

Edited only to shorten link
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:29:29 am by Angel »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #395 on: January 20, 2016, 01:34:50 pm »
What a horrible story. That must have been traumatic for the person who found the pony.

Offline Peeplins

• Forum Member
« Reply #396 on: February 04, 2016, 07:19:08 am »
Just received an email from Grant re fly tipping which I thought may be of interest to forum members, so watch this space:

"Dear
[/size]
[/size]I thought Id drop you a line to let you know that Ive been contacted by a large number of residents concerned about the ongoing problem our community is facing with fly-tipping. No one wants to live in a messy community, yet once fly-tipping begins, it can be difficult to stop a downward spiral. I therefore thought youd be interested to hear some positive news in our fight against litter.
[/size]
[/size]I am pleased to say that yesterday, the Conservative led Borough Council confirmed their budget recommendations and, having listened to local people has included additional funding to tackle fly-tipping.
[/size]
[/size]The exact details are to be confirmed but the Council will soon be establishing a taskforce to focus on tackling this issue; first by improving the speed at which fly-tipping is collected and second by taking strong enforcement action against those who are caught fly-tipping.
[/size]
[/size]This is very welcome news, clearly the problem will not resolved overnight, but its good that concrete action is being taken to help keep our community cleaner.
[/size]
[/size]Best wishes
Grant."

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #397 on: February 04, 2016, 09:50:20 am »
I have a feeling of deja vu.   This morning at about 7.30 a.m. I saw a white and orange tipper truck with 'Highway Maintenance' written in red across the front dump a load of soil near the bend on Bradmore Lane blocking the road.
I followed it (this is becoming a habit) and surprise, surprise, it turned into the travellers site on Bulls Lane.
I have reported it to the council. >:(

The following users thanked this post: Editor, epiphany, Peeplins

Offline epiphany

« Reply #398 on: February 04, 2016, 12:29:26 pm »
Well done Peppermint!  :)

Let's hope the new "taskforce" take "strong" enforcement action......

Offline Alex

• Forum Member
« Reply #399 on: February 06, 2016, 08:17:35 am »
well done for doing this. Its disgusting what people are getting away with. I saw the soil on a Health Walk Thursday.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #400 on: February 09, 2016, 12:48:10 pm »
More rubble dumped this morning blocking the road at the bottom of Bradmore Lane.

Offline Nobby

« Reply #401 on: February 09, 2016, 07:30:44 pm »
Driving up Kentish Lane on Sunday there was rubbish strewn along the roadside all the way from the junction with the A1000 to the junction with Grubbs Lane. Some of it's been there for weeks. The council appears to have given up on all but the worst offences.
This is what funding cuts and lean local government mean in practice. Of course, the degradation of the environment ultimately feeds through to house values, so even if you don't care about the environment, think about what's happening to the value of one of your main assets if the surroundings start to look like The Jungle in Calais.

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #402 on: February 16, 2016, 10:50:22 pm »
Warrengate Road is closed between the pumping station and the bungalows due to yet another dumping of rubble in the middle of the road :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: .   This is in addition to a number of rubble bags being dumped outside the gate into the horse field on Warrengate road this afternoon.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #403 on: February 17, 2016, 08:33:10 am »
I wonder how much fly tipping could be reduced if people who hire garden or rubbish clearance firms asked a few questions before contracting them? And there are a few clues, too. For example. Someone knocking on the door offering to prune trees who has an unmarked van and a trailer without a shredding machine might not be legit (they might, but worth asking how they intend to dispose of stuff).

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #404 on: February 17, 2016, 09:54:45 am »
Warrengate Road is still closed between the pumping station and the bungalows.

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #405 on: February 17, 2016, 10:03:46 pm »
More than 24 hours since Warrengate Road was blocked by a lorry load of rubble and it has still not been cleared.   Thanks WH Council.

Offline Nobby

« Reply #406 on: February 18, 2016, 07:36:40 pm »
I agree, it is a poor response from the council, but this is what funding cuts mean. It's even worse when it comes to adult care services as I'm finding out at the moment. Councils have cut 4.6bn from adult social care budgets since 2009-10, equivalent to almost a third of net real terms spend.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #407 on: March 03, 2016, 07:20:36 pm »
If you traveled along Bradmore Lane today and wondered why an area was cordoned off by police tape, I can reveal why.

Unfortunately, about an hour ago, I witnessed a Luton van winching a dead horse from the ditch where it had been dumped, across the verge and up a ramp into the van.

According to the driver, there have a been quite a few cases recently.

It is not a nice thought, knowing that such scum live amongst us

Offline LMS

« Reply #408 on: March 03, 2016, 10:44:17 pm »
Would it be possible to place CCTV cameras at each end of the roads being affected to check vehicles and their loads at the start and end of their transits? The film would obviously only need to be checked if and when fly tipping occurred, and maybe if the scum carrying out these crimes realise they are being watched they might even stop?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #409 on: March 04, 2016, 06:19:36 am »
Would people who see fly tipping please take a picture and upload it to the site along with a description of the exact spot. I have created an interactive map of all the fly tipping we have come across while compiling the 52 local walks on this site and I think it helps show the blackspots where the most offences are committed.

You can zoom in on the map below, then click on the fly tipping icon I have created and a pop up with show a picture and have text with, in some cases, a link to the forum thread.

So, if you add an image to this thread I will then add that location to the map below, along with your image and a link to your forum post. You never know, it might help the authorities focus in on the problem areas - although I am sure they know them.

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #410 on: March 04, 2016, 09:21:06 am »
I think LMS suggestion of CCTV cameras at either end of the road is a great idea, particularly Bradmore Lane which would be easy to monitor and is also a popular dumping ground for these low life's.

The cost of installing, monitoring and maintaining them would, I am sure, be more economical than clearing the rubbish.   The downside is that these people will dump their rubbish somewhere else.

Offline slimgym

• Forum Member
« Reply #411 on: March 04, 2016, 01:11:37 pm »
Whilst you may have the numberplates and a suspicion due to the time taken to travel, it still isn't enough evidence. Much as I hate to say it, I think the council need to stop charging to dispose of waste and allow vans in to the tips. At least that way the rubbish will be brought to you rather than having to recover it from roadsides, ditches and the like. The evidence required is difficult to get, prove, and the sentences are not enough of a deterrent. You'll never change some people but if you make it easier for them they might just about comply. Same with those who use rubbish disposal services without caring where it goes, they're not going to change either.

Offline LMS

« Reply #412 on: March 04, 2016, 01:45:17 pm »
I totally agree with you slimgym, the council made it so difficult when I was clearing a relatives house, I can understand why people do fly tip. I'm sure if the regulations weren't so stringent and the hours more convenient more people would abide by the rules.
 I was rather  hoping that cameras would pick up fully laden vehicles on their entry to these roads, and then, if an empty vehicle is spotted a few minutes later...bingo!?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #413 on: March 04, 2016, 02:01:39 pm »
I'm sure if the regulations weren't so stringent and the hours more convenient more people would abide by the rules.

Hi LMS, Are you really sure that people who fly tip would abide by rules? I doubt it. David

Offline slimgym

• Forum Member
« Reply #414 on: March 04, 2016, 02:03:11 pm »
Even if some of them did, it would reduce the fly tipping we see. Granted, a lot will continue, but it's unlikely to increase the flytipping.

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #415 on: March 04, 2016, 02:21:04 pm »
And it won't stop the scumbags dumping horses in ditches.   I can't see the waste site at cranborne road  accepting a dead horse.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #416 on: March 04, 2016, 04:44:35 pm »
A few months ago, perhaps it was autumn, we were walking along a local footpath. Ahead of us was a bloke travelling the same route. As he walked he was picking up litter and putting it in his rucksack. A one-man litter pick. Clearly a person who enjoyed the wonderful countryside we have around here and wanted to preserve it. These are the extremes we are dealing with; those who don't give a second thought to dropping litter or dumping a trailer load of rubbish, and those who value nature, wildlife and the responsibility that comes with the right to roam. I am sad to accept that we will always have this problem. Legislation, rules and reporting fly tipping offences probably won't do much to solve the problem.

Offline epiphany

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #418 on: March 07, 2016, 04:38:19 pm »
Sad to see four new mounds of fly tipping on our walk around Wildhill today. Two were new dumps and two were additions to existing dumps. Seems the problem is getting worse.

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #419 on: March 15, 2016, 08:03:50 am »
I heard recently with scrap metal prices so low and no longer viable, alternative schemes to make money are probably the cause for this recent increase in fly tipping.

Tags: