Author Topic: Yahoo mail problem - any suggestions?  (Read 4402 times)

Offline barnabus

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Yahoo mail problem - any suggestions?
« on: August 10, 2009, 05:35:49 pm »
Hi there

I wonder if anyone can help me .

As my email account at home I use @yahoo.co.uk.

For the past 24 hours or so I have been able to send emails but not recieve them. I have sent the email in box test emails from a variety of accounts - but none of them arrive and they do not bounce back either - they just never appear in the in box.

I have tried this on a couple of different machines in a couple of different places and the same effect exists - suggesting it is a problem at the yahoo end of things (I assume)  .

I have also emailed Yahoo to ask them if there is a problem and what I can do about it - as yet they have not replied (how long does it normally take?).

Has anyone any suggestions aas to any further action I can take to sort the problem out please?

Many thanks in advance

Baranbus

colinr

Re: Yahoo mail problem - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 05:53:27 pm »
Not too sure what you can do, but I also have a yahoo.co.uk account it is working fine.
so the problem is not at the yahoo side of things.

I am sure Dave or James can help.
good luck

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 05:58:07 pm »
Colin

Thanks - my wife's email which is yahoo.com is working fine so it seems to be a problem with this particular account - computers are great when they work right!

KR

Barnabus

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
Re: Yahoo mail problem - any suggestions? - all sorted!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:53:34 pm »
All sorted - someone had hacked into my account and was forwardng emails to a different account - cant think how they did it but all OK now - cant be too careful these days.

Barnabus

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 10:58:37 pm »
I expect you have but I hope you changed your password as soon as you realised!!

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 07:39:05 am »
Angel

Sure have! Still quite mistified as to how it happened - but i sheall probabaly never know.

Barnabus

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 07:56:36 am »
All sorted - someone had hacked into my account and was forwardng emails to a different account - cant think how they did it but all OK now - cant be too careful these days.

Barnabus

Hi Barnabus,

Did Yahoo tell you that your account had been hacked?  If they did, did they explain how and how to avoid it in the future?

Another thought: Have you used the account in a public place recently and perhaps not logged off when you left, or closed the browser and cleared the history?

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 09:23:41 am »
Excellent advice from Dave and would agree with his theory that he may have used his account on an untrusted computer.

Always worth bearing in mind that keylogging (either hardware or software) can easily capture all keystrokes entered, so regardless what email provider you use, whether the site uses https or not, whether all patches and virus definitions are up to date, all are irrelevant if your logon details become compromised.

Always change passwords regularly, that way if your details do become known at least that information will only be useful until your password is changed.

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 09:09:55 pm »
Hi David and Sasquartch

Thank you for your sound advice.

I have not heard anythng back from Yahoo yet - so I dont really know - the hacking bit is my assumption because someone had put an instruction on my yahoo account to forward my emails elsewhere - any thoughts about how this could be done on a Sunday afternoon? .

The event started on Sunday afternoon at home so unless the dog or my wife hacked it (or the info was obtained previously by someone else) I am completely mystified.

I only generally use my home computer or the one in the office - however we have recently been away in Spain and I did use the internet Cafe a few times - but we have been back several days.

I dont think I lost much or anything of great consequence - but this is certainly a case for Miss Marple or Poirot!

Thanks Again - Barnabus 

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 02:55:46 pm »
someone had put an instruction on my yahoo account to forward my emails elsewhere

Did you send an email to that redirect to say what you thought, or would that have prompted further problems?

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 06:45:58 pm »
I did ask them to send back any emails they had recieved - but nothing was forthcoming.

KR

Barnanbus

Tags: