Author Topic: Petrol Prices  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Johnny Redd

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Petrol Prices
« on: December 03, 2003, 12:10:35 am »
I wondered if other users would be interested in contributing to an ongoing guide as to where the best deals on Petrol/Diesel prices can be found locally.

It appears to me that Tesco in P. Bar only seems interested in price matching, minus a penny, the BP station in the High Street so lets take our custom elsewhere.

As an opener there is a small Shell garage on the Ridgeway, Enfield just the other side of Chase Farm Hospital that offers unleaded for 73.9p and diesel for 75.9p per litre.

Any body else?

Offline goldfinch

• Forum Member
Re: Petrol Prices
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 01:38:25 pm »
This would be useful.

You can get the 5 cheapest petrol prices within a specified distance of a postcode from http://www.aapetrolbusters.com/ including a weekly email.  You have to sign up but its free.  I've just checked on there and it says that Sainsburys London Colney is also 73.9.  The shell garage on the Ridgeway that you mentioned has had low prices for several months.

I find AA petrolbusters very useful when I go on holiday to other parts of Britain.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 02:46:51 pm »
Thanks Goldfinch, that is an excellent site.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Johnny Redd

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 06:12:19 pm »
Sorry, I've just been back to The Ridgeway and unleaded is now 74.9 and diesel goes up tomorrow.

Thanks for the info on the web site.

BigJohn

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 11:20:55 pm »
What is the obsession with getting the cheapest petrol price? 1p on 73.9 is 1.4%. As it takes a little less than £40 to fill my car up when itís running on vapours, this represents 54p. I could save far more than that by better driving technique (i.e. accelerating and breaking less) and by driving less and walking more.

Offline Alfred the Great

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 11:28:37 pm »
Yes but if you don't alter your driving habits that 1.4% is a real gain. Those 54p savings add up over a year, particularly if you drive as much as I have to for work.

Anyway, the cheapest I've seen was the Shell garage at the Noke roundabout south of St Albans, 72.9p for unleaded when even the other best price (Esso in London Road St Albans) were still at 73.9p.

ATG
(a petrol price fanatic - ask Mrs Great)
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Tags: