Author Topic: Police 'trap cars'  (Read 6697 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Police 'trap cars'
« on: May 31, 2009, 12:58:45 pm »
Police have set 'trap cars' in the area in order to catch would be car thieves and act as a deterrent. Click here for more details.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:55:10 pm by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline stevea

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Police 'trap cars'
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 10:36:34 pm »
I can see it deterring the odd Joe Blogg joy rider or the opportunist car radio/sat nav thief, but I can't see it stopping the professional stealing a 100grand Merc off a driveway.

Offline Mallow

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 07:47:19 pm »
Call me Lightning for short - but why put up signs announcing the possible existance of police trap cars.  Doesn't that give th game away a bit?

Actually I know the answer to this question, so consider this post a comment.

???
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 08:35:58 pm »

Call me Lightning for short - but why put up signs announcing the possible existance of police trap cars.  Doesn't that give th game away a bit?

Well it's certainly put me off nicking cars.

8)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 11:30:02 pm »

It'll be probably against the thieves human rights if we don't let them know ::)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 10:56:39 am »
It is the same as the 'speed check' signs at each approach road to Brookmans Park.

Also I believe the authorities cannot use CCTV evidence unless there are warning signs to say that CCTV is operating in the area.  A lack of clear signage has been used in Court to overturn a clamping fine so signs, or lack of them, can work in your favour if you have 'misbehaved'.

Offline heharim

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 11:55:50 pm »
It is the same as the 'speed check' signs at each approach road to Brookmans Park.

Also I believe the authorities cannot use CCTV evidence unless there are warning signs to say that CCTV is operating in the area.  A lack of clear signage has been used in Court to overturn a clamping fine so signs, or lack of them, can work in your favour if you have 'misbehaved'.

The difference being that parking on the "king's highway" is a permitted act - unless told otherwise by yellow lines, restriction signs, noties saying that this is private land and not public etc

We have a presumed right of privacy meaning that we should not have photos or recordings made of us without our permission - permission is implied by remaining in an area which is signposted - or going on to Google Street view

Stealing cars is never a permitted activity - even for scousers  :icon_jokercolor:

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 11:15:02 pm »

Is it going to be a little like the flashing '30 mph' signs that you see?  Flashing LED signs next to a lure car, stating 'this car is being watched in case anyone fancies stealing it, steer clear robbers!'

That would certainly put me off if I was going to chance my arm...

:o)

A

John_fraser

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 06:31:19 am »
I think that's the idea. There could only be one or two cars used as bait and these couldn't be watched 24/7. Therefore, even in a place as small as BP, a thief would have good odds of breaking into a car and getting away with it during such an operation. By placing the signs the police deter the criminal from committing the crime by increasing the apparent risk.

Tags: