Author Topic: Thanks a lot, FCC  (Read 5305 times)

Offline Alfred the Great

• Opinions on many things
Thanks a lot, FCC
« on: May 30, 2009, 09:25:25 pm »
Well I know I'm a bit nerdy but sometimes it comes in useful, even if in this instance it only increases my blood pressure.

Many years ago I started analysing the credit card bill when it came in, and have been inputting the various figures onto a spreadsheet. The most useful ones are  the columns for food and train travel (still headed WAGN just in case you were interested), as these are the most consistent. My wife goes up to town 2 days per week and sometimes on a Saturday, so even with holidays etc we are comparing like with like.

Anyway, the point of this preamble is that I was looking at the monthly total for train travel this month and thought it seemed a bit high. So when I entered this months figures onto the spreadsheet I compared the yearly amounts June-May for as far back as the spreadsheet went.

You will be interested to hear that for the eight years from 2000 the yearly amount was in the region 950 to 1000, with no obvious upward trend. But then from June 2007 to May 2008 it increased to 1340 and for the last full year June 2008 to May 2009 the figure has jumped to 1517. Guess who took over the franchise in May 2006?

And with the car parking charge on top, this is just extortion. Lucky I don't commute I suppose.

Presumably the season ticket holders among us have noticed similarly high increases?

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
Re: Thanks a lot, FCC
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 08:05:29 am »
Remember if you are buying a travelcard you can save up to 25% by buying two tickets (proividing the ticket office is open!)

E.g.

Day Peak travelcard from Brookmans Park - 19.50

HOWEVER..

Anytime Day return to Oakleigh Park - 4.60
Travel card from Oakleigh Park - 10.00

Saving around 5 a day...

--
Monthly travelcard from Brookmans Park - 263.10

HOWEVER...

Monthly season from Brookmans Park to Oakleigh Park - 98
Monthly travelcard from Oakleigh Park - 141.40

Saving about 25 a month...
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 07:23:24 am »
Just a warning on this one. If you use the system outlined by James in the previous post, it means you can't use the express from Finsbury Park to Potters Bar (because it doesn't stop at Oakleigh Park). The same is true if you use the same system using Hadley Wood. So on the days you may want to catch the express to Potters Bar, you are not allowed to do so.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 09:50:30 am »
The peak time trains do stop there. I seem to remember someone saying that if you have a season ticket it doesn't matter if the train stops there or not in any case.

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 09:38:16 pm »
Thanks for the reminder James. She used to get the two tickets but then started to feel a bit awkward (and cheap) when asking the ticket man. So we're paying for pride I suppose. I will however ask her to revisit this option. The other annoying thing is that she has been working near to London Bridge station for the last 7 years and has always bought a travel card "because the ticket man said it was the cheapest". But getting a straight return to London Bridge is only 16 I think, so how much extra have WAGN/FCC had off us over the years?!!

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 08:56:02 am »
But getting a straight return to London Bridge is only 16 I think, so how much extra have WAGN/FCC had off us over the years?!!

ATG

I would have thought using an Oyster card would be cheapest in conjunction with a Moorgate return (using the two tickets via Hadley Wood or Oakleigh Park). Might be worth investigating especially if you don't need the use of a travelcard other than to and from work.

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 09:28:38 pm »
I have just started travelling into London on a daily basis, and I was curious to know if anyone was purchasing a season ticket to Finsbury Park and then an Oyster for the remainder of the journey? I was working this out in my head and believe it to be a cheaper option than a season ticket travel card as proposed by the ticket office.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 11:14:30 pm »
I think the cheapest way to do it is to split the ticket at Oakleigh Park as detailed above, depending on which station you are ending up at. Alternatively, I discovered around Easter that the season ticket price for Brookmans Park -> Finsbury Park is the same as for Brookmans Park -> Kings Cross, so I now get the train to Kings Cross and cycle 3 miles, which I think saves me around 4 a day... (leaving a bike at KX station every evening to save me bringing it there and back on the train)

James

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 05:44:34 am »
... (leaving a bike at KX station every evening to save me bringing it there and back on the train)

Wow James.. leaving a bike presumeably every night & weekends at Kings Cross... and it is still there the following day..? Perhaps this Country is not as bad as I thought! Hopefully the bike isn't worth too much, otherwise any savings you may make will go on a new bike!  :icon_scratch:

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 06:47:09 am »
Yeah, ok, so the first one lasted three days before it was knicked, but I bought a 40 year old raleigh bone shaker from Bryan and no one seems too keen to knick that one!  ;D

Offline mungroo

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 07:16:27 am »
do you always get space at KK to leave it ? I've been thinking of doing the same but the racks over there always seem to be full

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 08:41:36 am »
I use the cycle racks on platform 1. They are normally reasonably free if you walk up the platform a bit as most try to cram their bikes near the entrance.

Offline mungroo

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 09:22:06 am »
ok I think I knoq where you mean - thanks

Tags: