Author Topic: Activities for the young  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Activities for the young
« on: August 10, 2009, 11:21:48 am »
Just type in postcode or name of town/village to find local activities for the kids during the summer holidays (and other times).

http://www.mogozout.org/

A Herts Co Co site.

Thanks to @welhamgreen for pointing it out.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Re: Activities for the young
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 02:46:39 pm »
There are free activities provided by the parish council at the childrens play area at Gobions Open Space, where most of the equipment has been renewed in the last year.  Other play areas are at Hawkshead Road, Little Heath, and at the recreation ground off Dellsome Lane - entry via Bushwood Close next to the Primary School.  The latter also has 3 free tennis courts (where thoughtful people have burnt the nets) and a multisports piece of equipment with a basket ball net, goals etc.

The parish council is seeking grants to finance upgrades at the latter two play areas in the next year or so.

Also why not have a picnic at Gobions Open Space?

Offline Helen

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 11:09:28 am »
Hi Bob - great idea. Certainly, I've been using Gobions & Bluebell this summer for picnics & walks with our young children. The only - huge & smelly - fly in the ointment is the huge amount of dogs mess in the area! I know it's been brought up in prevoius forums but the sheer amount is unecessary & completely unacceptable. Not only do we not enjoy picnicking next to a big pile of steaming poo, but it's all round the pond & in Bluebell as well. I'm not exaggerating when I say that EVERY time we go there someone comes back with it on their shoes. I saw a dog in the children's playground area the other day so it's only a matter of time before a small child falls in some in there too.

I'm ashamed by how much worse Gobions seems to be than other parks & woods that we go to. Why are people in BP less able to pick up after their dogs than other communities? All I can think is that they let their dogs off their leads & then either turn a blind eye or genuinely not notice when their dog is squatting in some far corner of the field. I don't know what the answer is, other than to ask owners to keep their dogs on a lead, a request which is unfair on the dogs & which will probably go unheeded in any case.

Don't get me wrong - I like dogs & I'm sure the majority of dog owners who use Gobions are considerate to others (certainly all the ones I know always pick up after their dogs). It's just the minority who are ruining it for everyone else. Noone would like it if I let my 2 year old run around & poo on the grass for people to step in; why should it be any different for dogs?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 11:34:06 am »
Sorry to hear about your experience, Helen.  A year or so ago the parish council added a fourth dog litter bin to Gobions Open Space and they are cleared regularly - very regularly - by the groundsmen.  On a related subject, we have just had a holiday in Norfolk and noticed the absence of litter generally.  It was a pleasure.

Another free activity is on this website - the various walks.

if you want to keep older children constructively employed, why not get them to study a map of the area with public footpaths on it.  They can draft a new walk, explore it and work out directions, distances and things to look out for.  Then let Dave have a copy to add to those already done by his family.

Tags: