Linked Events

• Brookmans Park Village Day: June 20, 2009

Author Topic: 50 Years of Village Day  (Read 12495 times)

Offline Belinda

• Opinions on some things
50 Years of Village Day
« on: March 13, 2009, 02:30:39 pm »
This year marks the 50th anniversary of Village Day and the Brookmans Park Village Day committee are looking to ensure that the event is bigger and better than ever before - the actual date is Saturday 20th June. More details about what's happening on the day will be posted nearer the time.

For now, we are really keen to hear from ex-pupils, teachers, governors or anyone who has been associated with the school over the last 50 years. Do you have pictures that we could display relating to Village Day from years gone by? We are really keen to put on a display and exhibit photographs that you may have. It would be fantastic to show the children how this event has been celebrated over the years.

If you have any memorabilia that we could have for our big event, then we would be so grateful if you can get in touch. I can be contacted via the website or belinda at shapps dot com

I look forward to hearing from you. Many thanks and regards.

Belinda Shapps
On behalf of the Village Day Committee

PS We would of course also love to hear from people who may like to be involved on the day or who could help donate any raffle or auction prizes!!  ;)

Editted only to obfuscate email address
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 09:51:08 am by David Brewer »

Offline Mary_Morgan

• Opinions on many things
  • statio bene fide carinis
  • Expertises:
  • Gin & Tonic
Re: 50 Years of Village Day
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 06:21:52 pm »
Belinda

Unfortunately I do not have any photographs.   I didn't have a camera in those days :(

But I was there at the first (and a fair few since, though not for at least 10 years now) and I shall be at the 50th.    Home on holiday from 13 June, so it is a must in the diary.

Do any of the local newspapers have a good archive for photos.   Vaguely seem to remember I got my picture in one at one of the early Village Days.

Good wishes to all the organisers of Village Day.

Mary

Offline Helen

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 06:58:29 pm »
Following on from Belinda's post, we are also trying to put together a collection of memories of the school and, in particular, Village Day from all those with links to the school. You don't have to have been a pupil or a teacher - you may have been a governor or been on the PTA & helped organise Village Day.

If anyone has any special memories that they would like to share please contact us either on this forum or email Belinda (her address is above). The paragraphs can be quite short (we are thinking approximately 50 words) & can be in any format you wish; funny, poetic etc, just as long as they are clean!! Feel free to ask friends with links to the school for their input too.

As an ex-pupil I could write pages! Maybe you remember swimming in the pool, the Queen coming to open the Royal Vetinary College (thank you Chris!) or the school dinners? Perhaps you were there at the very first Village Day 50 years ago? Whatever the memory, we would love to hear from you.

Finally, thanks to all those of you who have already passed on their photos & memories but we need more - let's show the current pupils & parents the history of the school!

Thank you for your support.  :)

Helen Coffer

Offline PAHammond

• Opinions on a couple of things
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 09:13:56 am »
Hi Belinda,

I've just come across your request via the post on twitter.  I have a picture of the RNLI stall, which my Mother used to run, from Village Day 1983. Just about to email you a copy of the picture on what I think is your email address.

Regards
Phil

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 09:15:17 am »
Hi Phil,

Welcome to the forum. You can also upload your image to this thread by clicking on the 'additional option's link in your message window and browsing to the file on your computer.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline PAHammond

• Opinions on a couple of things
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 09:22:53 am »
Thanks David.

The original I have is too big to include as an attachment so hopefully it will find its way to Belinda via email.

Regards
Phil

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 07:53:38 am »
The Brookmans Park Village Day Committee has submitted a report about the golden anniversary of the event. They are planning a Brookmans Park's Got Talent show at this year's 50th anniversary event. Click here for more.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:04:27 am by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mary_Morgan

• statio bene fide carinis
  • Expertises:
  • Gin & Tonic
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 09:24:15 pm »
From a few thousands of miles away I chuckled at the 2004 photograph you picked for the 50th Village Day article.   The gentleman on the right of the photo was in my class at Brookmans Park School and in all probability attended the first Village Day.   We both left BP School in 1959.   

Best regards.

Mary

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 09:49:04 pm »
Hi Mary,

As with all the pictures in that gallery (click here for all the pictures from Village Day 2004), you can click on them and enlarge them.

Click here to see the picture in full size.

David

Phil_Holm

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 06:10:34 pm »
"They are planning a Brookmans Park's Got Talent show at this year's 50th anniversary event"

I think it's more like "Brookmans Park School's Got Talent".  My eldest daughter - a semi professional singer of 14 - was turned down, as she is now at Chancellors. :( :(

Pity, as it would have been good experience for her to sing out-doors.  She will just have to stick to the Royal Albert Hall and recording studios etc.

;)

Phil

Offline Helen

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 02:42:00 pm »
Hi Mary.

As you may've seen from earlier in this thread, I'm trying to put together a '50th anniversary of Village Day' stall & in fact tried contacting you via Friends Reunited some weeks ago, although I see that you're away at the moment. I'm delighted that you're hoping to come to Village Day though!

Chris Crosby, who I assume was in the same class as you, has provided me with some brilliant & most amusing memories of early Village Days & life at BP primary school in general & I just wondered if you had any memories of your own of Village Days past that you cared to share with us to display on our stand?

Unfortunately, the deadline is tomorrow (Friday) as a father at the school has kindly agreed to do the printing of the backdrop, but if that's too much of a rush, we'll have a 'Memories Book' on our stall on the 20th June if you fancy sharing your memories. I'll be on the stall during the afternoon so please come up and introduce yourself - it would be lovely to put a face to the name!

Thanks,

Helen

Offline Belinda

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 07:20:47 am »
Village Day preparations for the 50th anniversary are going really well. We have had fantastic support from parents at Brookmans Park School as well as the local businesses in the village who have either donated raffle prizes or sponsored some of the stalls. We have also had a great response, thanks to the forum, for items of memorabilia relating to 50 years of Village Day. 

I thought you may be interested in seeing a selection of our auction prizes:

•   Corporate hospitality at Spurs
•   Limited Edition print “The Emirates Stadium” 69/250 by Karen Neale,  signed by Van Persie, Fabregas, Gilberto & Walcott
•   "The Legends of White Hart Lane”. This has been signed by 18 former Spurs legends
•   Signed Man United shirt by Christiano Ronaldo with authentication certificate
•   Behind the Scenes MAGIC tour of Paradise Wildlife Park
•   Tour of BBC News studios
•   Lotus Driving experience at the Lotus Cars Factory
•   House of Commons Tour and trip up Big Ben

If anyone is unable to attend Village Day next Saturday but is interested in bidding then please let me know. We can accept bids up to Friday 19th June. And, if you need any more information on any of the auction items then please let me know.

Many thanks, Belinda
On behalf of Brookmans Park Village Day Committee

Offline Belinda

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 07:24:30 am »
Some of you may be interested to know that there will be some old classic races going on in the arena on Saturday afternoon starting at 3:30 for the adults so you may want to look out for these.

I'm sure many of us can't forget the three legged race, egg n spoon and sack race to name a few! Entry is free so please come and join in the fun.    ;D

Many thanks, Belinda

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 10:51:56 am »
When I first started going to Village Day they had a Donkey Derby.  No doubt Elf & Safety put a stop to that, unless it was cost.

Phil_Holm

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 05:40:16 pm »
What's happened to the banner for this year?

The font is a bit dodgy on the Sa Turd ay

my 14 year old thought it was histerical.

Phil

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 05:59:30 pm »
And who remembers the annual 'smash up 2 pianos' challenge and the team which passes all the resultant bits through the seat of a toilet was the winner! Even as a kid I used to think what a terrible end to a piano! I assume that's not happening this year?

Offline Belinda

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 11:01:01 pm »
I understand that the banner was vandalised last year and some of the lettering was picked off. As you can see,  we have attempted to do a cost effective repair!

I still think it looks good especially with all the bunting around it. And, if it makes the kids laugh then all the better!!

Offline Belinda

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 06:17:14 am »
Just a reminder that it's Village Day today. Please try and come along and support our local school and all the local charities who are attending.

And please try to find time to vist the school kitchen as we have the most amazing selection of homemade cakes that were brought in yesterday by the children.  :)

Many thanks, Belinda
on behalf of the Village Day Committee

Offline Belinda

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 10:01:52 pm »
Thank you to all of our amazing helpers and to everyone who came along and supported Village Day yesterday. The children seemed to love the talent contest and the adults enjoyed the exhibiton of memorabilia.

We are very hopeful that the 50th anniversary event will have been one of the most successful to date.

Kind regards,

Belinda
on behalf of the Village Day Committee 2009

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 11:10:30 pm »
Are there any pictures of Village Day to put up on the site?

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 09:39:38 am »
Any idea how much money was raised ?

Phil_Holm

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 01:18:09 pm »
Any one know who was the random Guitarist ???

Offline Helen

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 12:38:20 pm »
Hi Phil. The guitarist was one of the fathers at the school.

Offline Belinda

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 06:07:58 pm »
We should have a final figure by the end of the week for how much was raised for the school (but I understand that it's looking very good).  :)

Belinda

Offline Helen

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 04:54:09 pm »
For those of you who were asking (if you can remember that far back!), we can confirm that this year's Village Day has raised a staggering £16,000 for the school! Sorry that it's taken a while to come back with a figure, but money has been (& still is!) coming in from one or two sources over the last few weeks. A huge thank you to all of you who supported us & we hope that everyone who attended had a fun afternoon. We'll be posting some photos on the Gallery shortly; when this is done I'll put out another post in this forum.

Thanks again - it makes us very proud that the community has once more pulled together to help us organise such a great day out for the children (& adults!), not to mention raising so much money for the school.

Helen Coffer

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 09:35:57 am »
Well done to all the organisers - a fantastic result.

Offline Helen

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 01:15:27 pm »
Thanks sasquartch! I've uploaded the photos - you can access them for now via this link http://brookmanspta.fotopic.net/c1726649.html & over the weekend they will also be added to the Gallery.

Helen

Tags: