Author Topic: Computer Problem  (Read 4818 times)

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Computer Problem
« on: January 29, 2009, 09:43:36 pm »
Out of the blue, my laptop has developed a problem that I cannot surf/email while the 'phone is in use.  I have broadband with tiscali and landline with BT and have used both without trouble for several years. 

I've tried the old faithfull switching off the modem and on again, and I wonder if anyone has any ideas, please.

Thank you.

John_fraser

Re: Computer Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:43:18 pm »
Sounds like the micro filter isn't doing it's job. Try borrowing one to see is a new one might fix it.

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 10:47:31 am »
Thank you, John.  I've googled around and ordered an XF-1e Professional ADSL 2+ Microfilter which seemed to have good reviews.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:25:12 pm »
I've got loads of BT filters if anyone needs any.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 12:33:08 pm »
Now you tell me!!   ;D

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 09:36:23 am »
Unfortunately, the new micro filter hasn't cured the problem.  Any more ideas, please?

Offline Tubbs

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 01:52:41 am »
Hi there,

I’m no expert, but from your description your problem sounds not too different to one we had a couple of years ago. We had two problems; these are our experiences. It may be that the problem is technically easily solved; but the roadblocks are getting some attention and the procedural side, both of which can drive you mad. That’s what makes this reply a bit long; sorry!

Possible Problem No 1: A poor joint in BT’s cable.
You may have a poor connection on the BT line somewhere outside your house; in our case it was in BT’s common junction box in the village. It seems a poor cable joint may only let ‘voice’ calls (which I think have a high signal strength) through; the poor joint in effect ‘attenuated’ (to use the technical term) ie weakened the broadband signal. We only managed to get it solved when, after 7 months, the voice calls failed as well. Then BT (the voice side), to its credit, came out within 48 hours; and immediately found the ‘duff’ joint in the junction box had failed altogether. The man was really helpful, immediately fixed it and hey presto! both the voice and broadband were great! It was the BT voice man who told us about the ‘attenuation’, described at Problem No 2. Apparently, under these circumstances, the broadbvand can only get through by ‘borrowing’ some of the ‘voice’ signal strength!

Procedural problem: Since the voice calls aren’t affected, the ‘BT Voice Dept’ won’t visit. Equally ‘BT Internet’ won’t speak to you because you aren’t a BT Internet customer. BT Open Reach also will not talk to you. They (Open Reach) act only on the ‘wholesale side’ providing ‘BT-line side’ services to the ISPs who have to use BT’s cable system, eg as Tiscali, Orange and BT Internet itself. So, no-one will talk to you – not ‘BT Voice’, ‘BT Internet’ or ‘BT open Reach’. They’ll all tell you (if they’ll talk to you at all) to ‘contact your ISP’. So now you try and talk to your ‘non BT ISP’. Depending on the quality of their service (and attitude), what they SHOULD DO is: institute initial tests (some using BT); and if all else fails, place an order with BT Open Reach for a ‘BT broadband technical man’ to visit your house. He could then most likely sort out the problem. But what ACTUALLY happens (in my experience) is different. First the ISP won’t tell you that, if all else fails, it has the ability to call out BT to visit your house. Probable reasons: Sheer incompetence or; if BT don’t find a fault on the BT-side, they (your ISP) has to pay Open Reach for the visit; which (I suppose) your ISP would want to recover from you; but maybe thinks you’ll refuse to reimburse them or (even if you will) can’t be bothered with the hassle. Or maybe they don’t trust BT Open Reach to tell the truth about the problem? Either way, net result: You get fobbed off with the ISP telling you that ‘remote testing results’ reveal no problem’ when you know there is one!

At the time we had a dial-up pay-as-you-go internet account; but also had recently signed up for an ‘always on broadband account’ to which we were trying to transfer. The effect of the fault was that we could only get the broadband to work (and then only sporadically) if the ‘dial-up’ was on at the same time! The broadband wouldn’t work on its own. So we turned on the dial-up, then the broadband. We then turned off the dial-up, and the broadband always dropped out a few seconds later. We presented all the evidence on the above to our then new broadband ISP (Orange) but got no result (we dumped them because of this).

Problem No 2: The BT-SIDE filter.
Do you have a BT filter on the BT SIDE of the BT phone inlet (we did)? If that filter has failed then (from our experience) it will prevent you receiving broadband. Fitting your own broadband filter on your side of the box won’t cure it; you have to get the BT-side filter replaced. These BT filters (we found out from BP locals) were fitted in many parts of the village by BT very many years ago before we moved here. They were, we understand, fitted (by BT) to deal with interference from the BBC transmitting station (as it was then) with telephone voice calls. These original filters weren’t designed to filter for broadband, which hadn’t been invented.

Procedural problem: BT doesn’t know that these, its own filters, exist. If it has failed, since the voice calls aren’t affected. Otherwise as described at Problem No1.

You’ll only get the filter changed (from my experience) if you manage to get BT to your house for some other reason (like failed voice? Or you make a promise to pay…). Show the man the filter; he should be helpful and change it, muttering ‘these filters were fitted years ago and not designed for broadband…).

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 08:37:17 am »
Hello Tubbs - that was very kind of you to take all that time to type out your experiences.  In the end I called in a computer doctor and he fixed it.  It went wrong again within a few days and I've disconnected my wireless router (given up on that idea) and it's ok again now (fingers crossed).

I'll copy and paste your advice and keep it as there are two points there worth knowing.

Thanks again.

Tags: