Author Topic: Tweeting local news  (Read 9420 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Tweeting local news
« on: January 08, 2009, 07:19:38 am »
Hi,

I am wondering whether it's worth the Brookmans Park Newsletter taking in any local Twitter feeds.  If you are a Twitterer and live locally and would like to be involved, please message me through the forum. If we have enough locals tweeting about local issues, it might be worth pulling them into one feed and displaying them somewhere on the site.

David

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Tweeting local news
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 05:16:29 pm »
I'm certainly happy to be involved. I do twitter each day at www.twitter.com/grantshapps, so would be pleased to be included.

Grant.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 04:55:09 pm »
You can now follow stories, news and some forum updates on Twitter.

If you have a Twitter account, you can elect to follow the Brookmans Park Newsletter.

http://twitter.com/bpnewsletter

A box on the front page of this site will display the latest updates.

David

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 05:29:49 pm »
A couple of people have asked how you follow someone on Twitter. The easiest way is to add a widget (gadget) to your desktop or browser (you can also follow if you have a posh mobile phone).

This link offers a number of options.

http://twitter.com/downloads

I prefer to have updates from those I am following pop up in my browser. I use Mozilla Firefox and you can download a neat add-on that downloads in seconds. It's called TwitterFox.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5081

Once you have downloaded a reader just go to our Twitter page

http://twitter.com/bpnewsletter

and click on the follow button - which will be just below the picture of Folly Arch on the page you end up on.

(you can always cancel later if you get fed up with the updates).

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 11:58:27 am »
Any more forum users tweet?  

The Brookmans Park Newsletter is now following 17 people and being followed by 31.

If you follow and tweet something that we spot and find interesting, we might re-Tweet.

Follow this site on http://twitter.com/bpnewsletter

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 07:11:32 am »
The Brookmans Park Twitter account now has 44 followers, @bpnewsletter is currently following 28 tweeters and we have 126 updates [at time of writing]. There must be a lot more local tweeters out there who we could follow and who could follow us. We often re-tweet locally-focused tweets (if we spot them).

It's a great way of breaking local news, such as train delays, road closures, events etc. And you may have noticed that we have included a retweet button in the latest news story. We may be able to add this to the forum posts, too.

So if you haven't got a free Twitter account it takes seconds to sign up. Just go to Twitter. You can tweet from your mobile phone, which is great for transport delays or if you see something out and about, or from a web page. Be sure to add your mobile phone number to your profile if you intend to tweet on the move.

And once all that is done, go to our account @bpnewsletter and follow us. We will then follow you.

Our tweets show up both on the @bpnewsletter page and on the front page of this site, just under the main story in the centre column.

Happy tweeting

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 10:01:54 am »
Well the numbers of followers are creeping up, but slowly.

This morning I tweeted about the local flower show and the Little Heath Summer Fayre because nobody had added them to the site's calendar or posted about them in the forum.

It would be good if the organisers of such events tweeted so we pick it up and can retweet (let others know) - and, of course, use the forum and calendar, too.

We will also retweet any of the tweets by those we are following if they have local interest. So, for example, we have retweeted about things our local MP tweets about that have local significance and things the prospective Labour candidate tweets about if they have local significance.

If you join we will consider retweeting your tweets, too.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 12:12:05 pm »
Not many locals seem to be tweeting, which is a pity because it is a good way of keeping up with and sharing local news. We have a couple of regular followers who tweet about local info and we retweet.

Our tweets show up both on the @bpnewsletter page and on the front page of this site, just under the main story in the centre column.

It's free and takes seconds to sign up.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 08:18:18 am »
You may have noticed a big gap in the front page of this site over the last 24 hours. It's because Twitter has suffered a denial of service attack and the updates may be interrupted from time to time. Twitter is working on the issue.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 10:27:14 am »
Just a note for those not sure of the viral value of tweeting.

I have just tweeted about two new adverts in this site's classified ads section and within a few minutes it was retweeted by others to their groups with more than 2,000 followers.

Here is the original advert from the site (the one about the drum kit got picked up quickly).

Here is the tweet once tweeted.

Here is how it looked (in TweetDeck) after I tweeted the information.

And here are the retweets by others. Once has 693 followers and the other 1,492 followers.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 11:34:47 am »
The BBC News Online's 'Have Your Say' team is now following this site's forum on Twitter.

http://twitter.com/BBC_HaveYourSay

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 10:35:49 am »
I see the local politicians are tweeting like starving sparrows in the run up to the election. Full marks to them for making use of social networking for information dissemination, but I wonder whether it will win votes or just comfort the committed and be ignored by those who dislike point scoring.

Offline chrisjackson321

• Opinions on a couple of things
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 03:50:18 pm »
Hi there,
I'm new to the site, but already following @bpnewsletter on twitter.
Any reason why you no longer use #brookmanspark ? (I saw it in one of your screengrabs.
I follow #herts and #hertfordshire but neither seem to generate much traffic.
Was #brookmanspark too narrow?

regards
chris

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 04:00:14 pm »

Any reason why you no longer use #brookmanspark ?

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum, no, I just forgot.

:-\

David

Tags: