Author Topic: Home security  (Read 8342 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Home security
« on: September 19, 2003, 10:41:44 pm »
Police have issued yet another warning about making sure outbuildings are locked. Click here for more details.  Polce are also advising local residents to extend their alarm systems to garages and sheds. It follows an increase in thefts locally. Do you feel safe in your home? Every forum member has one vote. You can add your comments below.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2003, 10:47:02 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Ellie

• Opinions on some things
  • Give me peace
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Zumba
  • Reading
Re: Home security
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2003, 11:07:57 pm »
Having lived in Liverpool and north London this is by far the nicest and safest place we have ever lived. I feel comfortable  out and about in the dark, whereas I would have felt nervous where I lived previously.
:)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 01:57:31 am »
The community police officer Vojislav Mihailovic has e-mailed tonight warning all local residents about attempted burglaries in the early hours of the morning.

He says there have been a couple of attempted break ins in the area betweeh 3am and 4am. He wrote to remind people that if you have alarm systems, ensure that you zone them downstairs when you go to bed.

He says it's thought the would-be intruders are looking for car keys in order to steal vehicles from the drive. The earlier warning about keeping car keeps safe and out of sight is still valid.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 09:58:07 am by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Margaret

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 04:30:40 pm »
I've always felt reasonably safe in my home, although you do have to be careful and looking out for each other as in the neighbourhood watch does help to deter would-be burglars.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 04:49:20 pm by admin »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 08:35:50 pm »
Police are again warning local residents not to invite thieves into their homes by leaving doors and windows open during the warm weather. Click here for more details.

Midnight

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 05:32:37 pm »
And despite locked doors and windows, we had a visitor thumping away at a window with a crow bar or something at 23:45 last night.  He (I presume) legged it, when I came downstairs, after doing a lot of damage to the window.  Nothing missing, he didn't get inside.  Either he was deaf or thought we were given the amount of noise generated by his handiwork!

My neighbours have also been visted recently.  So heed the good advice given earlier...

Offline eric

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 11:42:54 am »
I've been hearing from a friend that his residents association gets people to log brief details of incidents on the neighbourhood web.   This means that people can look at a general map of the neighbourhood and see any general trends such as clusters of red dots for attempted/ actual break-ins, yellow for antisocial incidents ----- through to green for environmental incidents like fly-tipping.    Probably this has been thought of, dismissed or whatever but I thought I'd pass it on just in case    

Offline Oly

• Opinions on many things
  • Well, I say
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 03:39:54 pm »
Why cant there be a law where by you can protect yourself in your own home, its pointless because if you shoot someone then you get done.

John_fraser

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 06:31:19 pm »
There is a law allowing you to protect yourself in your home or anywhere else. You are allowed to use “reasonable” force. Shooting – or stabbing or hitting on the head with a plank of wood etc - a burglar who was not threatening you physically would not be considered reasonable force. Shooting an intruder who gave you reasonable grounds for concern for your safety would be legal, although you may get prosecuted if the gun you used was not legally held.

Offline Swan

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 07:13:31 pm »
There is a law allowing you to protect yourself in your home or anywhere else. You are allowed to use “reasonable” force. Shooting – or stabbing or hitting on the head with a plank of wood etc - a burglar who was not threatening you physically would not be considered reasonable force. Shooting an intruder who gave you reasonable grounds for concern for your safety would be legal, although you may get prosecuted if the gun you used was not legally held.

I think you would be prosecuted even if the gun you used was legally held (but pls correct me if I'm wrong), you would have to remove it from its lock box and then load it, this would show intent.

I think the best thing to do would be to make as much noise as possible, shouting banging around turning the lights on and generally making the scumbag aware that you are on your way. If this doesn't scare the little darling off, then are going to attack you anyway.
To my way of thinking, if you have given them fair warning, the gloves are off.
Godwin's Law:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

winkielink

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 12:24:28 am »
Hi all,

Great forum editor!

As a relatively new inhabitant of Brookmans Park I'm pleased to report that I feel very safe here.

As others have reported this is many times a safer place than living in a big City (I've come here from Birmingham) and looking at the crime stats you are far safer here than almost anywhere else in the Country.  :)

That said, it makes sense to take precautions of course.

George.

Offline falkor

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2004, 12:16:14 am »

a minimum of 3 of the above bolts should be fitted on all your exterior doors except front which should have at least 2 mortice locks fitted

That little lot might add up to £200 including labour but I say it's a small investment

A mate of mine with a holiday cottage in Hastings had 7 security bolts in his back door plus a nifty wifty alarm system
he never got burgled again, strange that  8)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 09:55:48 am »
Police are bracing themselves for a fresh rise in house burglaries this summer as people head off on holiday, or become careless with security during the warm weather. Click here for more details.

Offline Jane B

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2004, 06:33:48 pm »
I live down in Warrengate Road & have had a blue plant pot, complete with yukka, taken from the front of my house yesterday evening between 9pm & 8am. It was cemented down but obvioulsy someone very strong decided that they had to have it. If anyone is offered anything similar for their garden could they let me know. Its not really the loss that bothers me - its the fact that I can't even leave pots outside my house without someone feeling the need to whipp it away!  :(

Popeax

Re: EEC Home security
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 08:28:39 pm »
I'm afraid that the supposition that EEC Home Security is bogus is nonsense.

They are a home security firm based in Southport and I used to work for them as a telesales operator. The "EEC" stands for "European Environmental Controls" and they don't ask for any personal information over the phone (apart from whether or not the client is a homeowner as they can't deal with council or rented properties). They have a call centre through which they call people and ask whether or not they want security demonstrations. I assure you that they act completely legally and indeed have won awards for their security equipment.

If you have any doubts about the firm's legality, you can contact them at:

28-30,
Hall St,
Southport,
Merseyside
PR9 0SE

or on: 01704 539300

You can look them up with the Yellow Pages at www.yell.com

They are very strict about what telesales operators say on the phone, they monitor ALL outgoing calls and they issue company scripts which are specifically designed to not mislead people into thinking that they are a governmental body, which of course, they are not.

James.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 08:32:59 pm by Popeax »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 04:35:48 pm »
Police say home burglary offences are down on last year and detections are up. The following news release has just been emailed to this site by Hertfordshire Constabularly and is reproduced as sent.

April 28, 2005
HOME BURGLARIES REDUCED AS POLICING YEAR ENDS
By Corporate Communication Dept

LATEST figures show home burglary offences in Hertfordshire fell by 4.7 per cent last year and detections rose by 14.2 per cent compared to the previous policing year.

There were 265 fewer burglaries and 188 more burglaries were detected.

Numerous initiatives and operations have been carried out in the last 12 months under Operation Guardian – the Force’s proactive campaign, to reduce burglary rates in the county. These have included carrying out covert and hi-vis patrols in hotspot areas, further improving the way burglaries are investigated and running various crime prevention initiatives locally.

Assistant Chief Constable Rob Beckley said: “We have put a huge effort into reducing home burglary over the last year and it’s great to see we achieved a reduction compared to the previous year. Part of this success has to be down to local residents being vigilant about home security and I would like to thank everyone who has made an extra effort to make their home more secure.

He continued: “We have also arrested more burglars and any prospective offenders should beware that under new legislation we can seize any assets we believe have been bought with the proceeds of crime. These can be anything from houses and cars to electrical goods and jewellery and we will use these powers robustly.

“We will continue to do all we can to further reduce burglaries this year. We want people to not only be safe but to feel safe in their homes. Residents can help by ensuring their homes are properly secure at all times so the opportunity is not there for a burglar.”

Where burglaries have occurred, there have been some common ways homes have been broken into. A large number of these burglaries could have easily been prevented. Listed below are some of the common methods with advice about how to prevent them.

Insecure doors and windows

In the summer, up to a third of burglaries are committed when a burglar gets into a property through an open or insecure door or window. This can easily be avoided by ensuring all doors and windows are shut properly and locked when you leave the house. Also, if you are in the garden, ensure any doors and windows that are out of your sight are closed and locked.

The ‘lived in’ look

Offenders may force their way into a house if it is obvious no one is home. This is more common in the autumn and winter when it gets dark earlier. If you are not home before it gets dark, or you are going away, buy and use timer switches to make a light come on in the front and back of your house so it looks like someone is at home.

‘Popping’ UPVC doors

A number of burglars broke into homes by ‘popping’ the UPVC door. This can easily be prevented by ensuring the door is locked properly by turning the key all the way round. This should also be done from the inside at night. Just closing the door is not enough to secure it properly.

Targeting visible car keys

A number of homes were broken into in order to steal the car keys that had been left on view from a door, letterbox or window – for example, left on the hall table, kitchen worktop or stairs. You can reduce the risk of becoming a victim of this type of burglary by not leaving keys in an obvious place or on view.

For further advice about how to make your home safe and reduce the risk of becoming a victim of burglary, visit www.herts.police.uk or contact your local crime prevention officer on 0845 33 00 222.

There were 5,385 home burglaries (including attempts) in 2004/05 compared to 5,650 in 2003/04. Detections increased to 1,508 in 2004/05, from 1,320 in 2003/04.

Tags: