Author Topic: Rights Of Way Survey  (Read 6015 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Rights Of Way Survey
« on: September 15, 2003, 10:43:59 pm »
Herts CC has put up an online survey to try to find out if people are satisfied with the way rights of way are maintained in the county. It takes about five minutes to complete and you don't have to give any personal details if you don't want to. Click here for the form.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline john

• Opinions on many things
Re: Rights Of Way Survey
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 11:34:28 am »
One supports the general aim, but the actuality is a triflr disappointing.  For example:
~  the survey seems predicated to the countryside as being a free recreational resource ...
~  ... nothing about footpaths and "working" in the countryside ...
~  you can only choose one thing about the countryside that's important to you ...
~  there's no opportunity to feed-back on other issues (like the steady growth of problems associated with foot access such as dogs run in to stock, fence-cutting, litter, ...)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 11:59:43 am »
Hi John,
I guess all online forms and votes will be lacking in one area or another. However, despite what you say about the lack of a feedback opportunities, there are two boxes for you to add information towards the bottom.
One is marked, 'Please write below what specific changes would be useful; please give as much detail as possible of the location of any new route or crossing etc', and the other is marked, 'Please add any further information here:'
Perhaps you could use those spaces to fill in any feedback regarding the concerns you list in your post such as fence-cutting, litter and dogs.
My view on these things is the more information that is passed on the more likely it is that issues will be addressed, but I might be wrong.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

John_fraser

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 12:40:06 pm »
There is also nothing to stop people filling in the form multiple times or questions about the blocking of rights away.

I don't see that it does regard the countryside as a "free recreational resource." Most of the farmland is massivly subsidised, so it is far from free.

Offline john

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 03:30:18 pm »
If our farm is "massively subsidised" it'd be jolly helpful to know where all of it is please ?

John_fraser

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 03:53:31 pm »
Sorry john, wasn't limiting my comment to just your farm. I don't know if the RVC gets any money from public funds or how well it would manage if subsidised farms didn't require vets, but a lot of public money is pumped into the "working" country. It sin't free.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2003, 03:54:20 pm by John_fraser »

Offline Zorro

• Opinions on some things
  • oppressors tremble at my name
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 04:05:54 pm »
eye theenk yoo weel find zat ze grantz zey cum from zee EU, gracias amigos, plenty wine lake eye theenk

up tornado away
« Last Edit: September 16, 2003, 04:06:30 pm by Zorro »
Zorro Defender of the oppressed

Offline john

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 04:06:16 pm »
oh darn it !  just when I was getting excited that you were going to tell us where to find the "massive" that'd help our knife-edge existence ... !
Would that we did receive the feather-bedding atributed to all farmers in the newspapers but which often seems to fall in to rather fewer laps, especially linked to CAP scenarios ...   (and then there's all the debate one could have about rural versus urban subsidy, the Barnett Formula, and all the rest of it)

The point about "countryside" and "not a free good" extends beyond the "mere £" point but in to such important realms of many peoples' under-appreciation that it's not there by accident ... that plants aren't there to be stolen ... animals stolen or hurt ... that driving to a countrypark does impose costs ranging from air pollution to litter, wear-and-tear ...  
We see that there's an important holistic educational mission out there, and the ROWS, PEAP and Transport Plan c/should all contribute ....    (verbal ramble ends !)

kind regards  -  j (rvc)

John_fraser

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2003, 09:40:13 pm »
In the days before children, I was a keen walker. My wife and I would spend many weekends walking along trails and usually had a walking the Scottish Highlands at least once a year. I can safely say we never dropped littler, took a dog, left a gate open, deliberately strayed from a footpath or trampled crops. I also know that that is not universally true of all walkers and that some people treat the countryside thoughtlessly.

Some of these people who treat the countryside thoughtlessly, however, are landowners. Some rights of way were in place for centuries before any farm claimed the area. Farmers have done far more damage to the countryside then any weekend trippers.

Offline john

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2003, 12:32:27 pm »
Dear John F

At the risk of seeing this thread move too far from its origins, I'd be interested for your opinion on (amongst the various conundrums ?  conundrii ?):

"If   "Farmers have done far more damage to the countryside then any weekend trippers ..." then where do the balance of responsibilities lie for the development of Brookmans Park in the then unspoilt countryside of the 'Twenties ? (and which in its own way contributed to the need for the creation of a London Green Belt)

~  with the then gentleman land-owner farmer ?   who at a time of recession made the farm land available for house plots ...

or

~  with the weekend trippers ?  who came out to seek and buy plots, start the spread of brick & concrete, reinforce the increasing use of motor cars for commuting, ...

Does the analogy apply as much today ?  such as through a desire to flee the urban environment for a perceived rural idyll ?   thereby stoking up demand for housing land (which some "farmers" seek to meet for a variety of reasons ...), the risk of land-conversion, price hikes driven by a shortage of supply (sometimes reinforced by people who see such property investment as a substitute for under-performing savings accounts/ pension funds ?), ...  and then rippling through in to the more localised concerns of fly-tipping, trespass, dog-running/ faeces, footpath etc opportunities that the PEAP has a chance to address ?

Please forgive me if this sounds unduly convoluted, but I do feel that a more balanced holistic context shouldn't be entirely left to one side ?

kind regards  -  T'Other jf (rvc)

John_fraser

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2003, 04:41:56 pm »
Oddly enough I broadly agree with you, but I grow weary of the attitude that the cities are full of uncouth yobs who have no understanding of the land and I have no belief that farmers and large land owners are the custodians of the countryside. Bradmore Land may be a disgrace and I have no truck with those who fly tip, but drive down Swanland Road and look at the size of the one field from Water End to Potter’s Bar. Decades ago, that sort of area would have encompassed multiple fields with miles of hedgerows supporting a variety of wild life. At some point people took commercial decisions to turn multiple fields into single fields. In all cases, they were legally entitled to do this, but the damage to the countryside was far greater and just as unsightly as the fly tipping in country lanes.

Offline john

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2003, 05:44:00 pm »
I hope David Brewer will generously allow this debate to continue a little longer ... ?

John, I think (as you say) we are in the same "area of country"  but:

~  I think your generalisation about urban yobs is only partly proper ?     We here do find it disappointing that so many people appear to be less familiar with the practicalities of the countryside than in the past (and compared with, say dolphins, tuna, ....).   Hence our work with schoolchildren, other urban (and rural) groups and individuals about sustaining a balanced debate as to where blame may lie, where there are "rights", where responsibilities (individual and collective ...), and workable solutions

~  if landowners aren't the "custodians" of the countryside (right or wrong), then who will cut & recycle the brush, hedge, ditch, plant, ... ?    An army of unwaged volunteers ?   community service, ...  ?    Will people accept true-reversion, or reversion only in John Constable terms ?

~  thirty years ago hedges WERE being mistakenly grubbed by a Government-driven series of initiatives ...   So do we blame the MPs ?   the majority of voters who (seemingly as ever) want low taxes, low cost of living, ... ?   the farmers who took the opportunities presented to them ?  (like tax-relief on mortgages ...)

~  two hundred years ago one of our founding fathers in Hertfordshire was grappling with exactly such hedgerow issues  -  for example, challenging one pillar of society (grumbling about loss and impact on game etc) to try to live the winter in a damp cottage as an agricultural worker and without using hedgerows as "the naturally renewing colliery of the countryside" ...   (unfortunately I haven't found out how that debate ended)

One could go on in to such issues of "what IS the countryside ?  pre or post Enclosure " and all the rest of it, but I would settle for now with a compromise cry of a "plague upon all our various houses ... for they know not what they do ... (ebven if they think they do)" ?

But back to the PEAP !!    What ARE the most sensible things that can be got on with  ?    that will endure, that will contribute solutions to core issues ... ?

bw  - j (rvc)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2003, 07:40:21 pm »
I hope David Brewer will generously allow this debate to continue a little longer ... ?

Hi John,
No problem. All posts are kept as an archive of opinions on local issues. Only two threads have ever been deleted. One because it repeated an existing thread and the other for legal reasons.
Cheers
David Brewer

Tags: