Author Topic: Leach Fields footpaths  (Read 129066 times)

Offline RayLo1

• Opinions on a couple of things
Re: Leach Fields footpaths
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2009, 12:36:38 pm »
I use the Bluebridge entry point for access to Gobions wood and it's closure was a bit of a suprise when I went during the week as when I last used it in February there was no indication of this change. I had to use the public footpath next to the farm. The section that crosses the farm has been blocked for some time now by the grazing of horses(the same ones that would use Leach Fields). The route now is along the boundary trying to avoid snagging on the barbed wire. Not a route for unsteady walkers. I am not familiar with the other entrances as I have only used the one since 2007 when a tree was planted in memory of my wife. 

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2009, 01:56:20 pm »
Apparently a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) has been made on trees on the Leach Fields. I will see the Order next week.  It does not stop development of the land but does make it more difficult.  Last month an appeal was dismissed when someone was refused permission to carry out work on 4 trees covered by a TPO at Peplins Way.  For more information go to www.welhat.gov.uk and put 'Tree Preservation Order' in the search facility.  The main part of it says:

'A Tree Preservation Order (TPO) is a legal document, made and administered by the council to protect trees by controlling works carried out to trees and woodlands with amenity value.  The principal effect of a TPO is to prohibit the cutting down, uprooting, topping, lopping, wilful damage or destruction of a tree without the prior consent of the Local Planning Authority (LPA).  The cutting of roots is potentially damaging and also requires the LPA's prior consent. Certain exemptions apply but you are strongly advised to contact the Planning Department before you undertake, or instruct any other person or company, to undertake any works to a preserved tree.'

Fines of up to £20,000 can be made for unauthorised work.

Offline AnneK

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2009, 08:27:35 pm »
Excellent news. There are some beautiful trees in Leach Fields, and indeed throughout Brookmans Park. It's funny that Bob should have posted this news this week. This past weekend my husband and I were admiring some of the old trees in the area and talking about how we ought to nominate a local tree on the website every now and again, and research its history.

In Highgate, where we used to live, the local magazine does this. I particularly remember a write-up about an ancient oak that stands in the middle of Denewood Road, which runs just behind our old house. It had formed part of a hedgerow on the fields that used to lie south-west of North Road. I love this sort of history.

In Brookmans Park, I'd nominate the oak at the junction of Brookmans Avenue/Georges Wood Road and Mymms Drive, the twisty pine on Brookmans Avenue, the redwoods (?) on The Drive and the hollowed-out tree (still living, somehow) in Gobions Wood. Just for starters.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2009, 06:33:50 pm »
I have now seen the map atached to the Tree Preservation Order.  You will be able to work out which trees are covered from the map above

The TPO protects 6 Oak trees and three groups of various trees. 

One group runs from just north of the three Bluebridge Rd houses that are set back, running east/west to where there are 4 Oak trees covered by the TPO at the pond (is that the pond that has been filled in?). 

A second group runs north/south being each side of the continuation of the track leading into the car park on the Open Space almost down to the stream.  You can see the track on the map.

The third group is on the village side of the stream running east/west from a point immediately north of Michael /Linda Jonas's cottage by the bridge to just before the disused sewage works.  The group is to the south of the red line at the bottom of the map.  This group narrows the entrance to the Leach Fields at that point.

Offline nicholasac

« Reply #154 on: July 20, 2009, 09:09:11 am »
Having actually spoken to Leach I now understand what happened. Having leased the fields for years to the Trust, Leaches were notified a year or so ago by the Dept. of the Environment, that the Trust had made an application to them to have Leach Fields declared a site of special scientific interest. This application was rejected by the Secretary of State. If it had been approved, it would have had serious repercussions over how the land could be used.

The Trustees had never notified or discussed this application with Leach Homes and it came as a complete surprise to them. They took the view that if this is how the Trustees want to behave, they will have no more to do with them, and therefore refused to renew the lease when it expired.

Personally I don't blame them. I would do exactly the same in their position.

As a result of their stupidity, the Trustees have ensured that the land is now no longer available to us to walk over.

Rather than blaming Leach Homes, I think trust members should consider long and hard whether the people who made the decision to carry on in this underhand way are actually fit to be trustees.

Offline GWTSEC

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on: July 20, 2009, 11:53:36 am »
The trustees of Gobions Woodland Trust have never made an application to the Department of the Environment for Leach Fields to be declared a Site of Special Scientific Interest. Such an application would be a matter of public record, as would any rejection by the Secretary of State. Leach Homes raised no such matter with the trustees when a renewal of the lease was requested.
Perhaps Nicholasac should check both sides before posting.
I would add, that if it wasn't for the hard work the trustees have done over the years, including maintaining Gobions Wood and its footpaths, there would be nowhere for any of us to walk. 

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #156 on: July 20, 2009, 12:06:00 pm »
Yes, nicolasac should indeed have checked both sides before posting such a defamatory comment!

What I would like to know now is - who conjured up the original untruth, nicolasac or Leach?

I think the Trustees of the Gobions Woodlands Trust deserve a fulsome apology!

Offline jazzman

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2009, 03:19:24 pm »
Strikes me that Nicolasac seems to have no idea (a) of his facts and (b) how indebted everyone who uses Gobions is to the Wildlife Trust.

What an outrageous slur; check the truth before you go mouthing off, son....

Offline AnneK

« Reply #158 on: July 20, 2009, 04:58:24 pm »
Well said, jazzman.

MikeL

« Reply #159 on: July 20, 2009, 05:06:37 pm »
Surely if something is worthy of being declared a “Site of Special Scientific Interest” then it is because that is exactly what it is. IE it’s a fact! Not something that can be decided upon by the owners.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #160 on: July 20, 2009, 08:45:14 pm »
Tonight a horse escaped from Leach Fields. It's currently wandering around Moffats Open Space (not the main field but the field between there and Bluebridge Avenue)

No idea who to report it to or who owns the horses - hopefully someone will know.

Seemed quite happy just grazing.

Offline nicholasac

« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2009, 09:06:18 pm »
I sugest you check your facts jazzman, whoever you are. I stand by every word I have written. Rather a sad indictment of your own position that you have to be so childish as to resort to name calling.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2009, 10:13:57 pm »
I sugest you check your facts jazzman, whoever you are. I stand by every word I have written. Rather a sad indictment of your own position that you have to be so childish as to resort to name calling.

Hi nicholasac,

Welcome to the forum. Seeing as we have a quote from the GWTSEC (secretary of the Gobions Woodland Trust) refuting the claims you made, are you able to include a quote from Leach homes confirming the claims, please?

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2009, 09:26:26 am »
Hi Sasquartch

Thanks for posting, I know the owners and have notified them.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2009, 09:51:14 am »
That's good to hear.

I'm almost certain it jumped over the site of the now blocked up entrance to Leach Fields from Moffats Open Space.

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2009, 09:18:20 am »
APPEAL

I am writing this on behalf of some friends who rent the fields from Leach Homes to graze their horses.

Last week a fence was twice broken down - once using wirecutters, resulting in a horse escaping into Moffats open space.

Obviously this is very upsetting for them as the horses could wander into a surrounding road and a serious accident could occur.

They are just ordinary local people (Welham Green)  that have unwittingly become caught up in a war between local residents and Leach Homes.

Everytime something like this happens, it affects them, NOT Leach Homes and a considerable amount of time and money has to be spent each time to repair the damage.

Please, if you or somebody you know is the culprit please think again.

Offline GWTSEC

• Forum Member
« Reply #166 on: July 28, 2009, 11:34:07 am »
It is very distressing to discover that damage is being done to Leach property and that this is causing distress to Leach's tenants.
It is regrettable that such irresponsible behaviour is attributed to a 'war' between local residents and Leach homes. There are undoubtedly differences of opinion and many local people have been upset by the closure of Leach fields and some of the damage to wild life, but damage to property has never been condoned.
If the culprit believe's he/she is acting in the interest of local people, they are certainly not. On the contrary they are acting against the interest of the local community, if their behaviour endorses the opinion that we are at 'war'.

Offline Nick

• Sports Massage
  • Expertises:
  • Soft Tissue & Sports Massage Practitioner
  • London 2012 Olympic & Paralympic Medical Team Member
« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2009, 06:51:02 am »
Have just been through Moffats open space 6:30am and there is a loose horse grazing (presumably escaped from Leach Fields), doesn't look like it has been out very long as there are no droppings. please can someone contact the owners?

Offline horses - leach field

« Reply #168 on: August 01, 2009, 04:51:41 pm »
I am one the people who currently graze some horses in the Leach field, early today, not only has the fence to Moffats open space been broken, allowing a horse to escape, but also a newly erected fence destroyed, some metal gates vanadalised and the horses water storage destroyed. This is not the first time such vandalism has occured.

The Police are now involed, SOCO has attended, covert CCTV will be installed to catch those involved. The perosn(s) involved are endangering the horses present, two of whom sustained injuries from the broken fence. I hope those involved are proud of their actions.

Rare breed cattle are to graze in the field shortly along with free range pigs. If you are involved in the vandalism please think about what you are doing, horses have been injuried, livestock equipment destroyed, fences broken etc.

Try walking around the lake, its a much better view. 

Offline horses - leach field

« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2009, 10:15:48 pm »
Yet again the fence from Moffats open space to Leachs field has been damaged, fences within Leachs field have also been damaged. One horse has been chased into the Brook, and so the Police where called yet again.

I have read the many postings about all aspects of the Leachs fields, from the size of a bramble bush, the well being of Newts, and the full A to Z of animal welfare issues.

Yet not a reply from the good people of Brookmans Park, about the horses grazing in the field who have been injured by the actions of a few? It speaks volumes!

My I ask yet again to the person(s) who are undertaking these actions, the horses have nothing to do with Leachs Homes, you have directly caused injury to these animals, do you care?

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on many things
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #170 on: August 10, 2009, 09:14:47 am »
Yet not a reply from the good people of Brookmans Park, about the horses grazing in the field who have been injured by the actions of a few? It speaks volumes!

I don't understand what you are trying to say.  I'm sorry your horses got injured.  Obviously no-one is condoning criminal damage.  What do you expect people to do?  I'm all for rounding up the perpetrators and burning them at the stake too, but we're not allowed to do that anymore.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #171 on: August 10, 2009, 11:43:59 am »
Yet again the fence from Moffats open space to Leachs field has been damaged, fences within Leachs field have also been damaged. One horse has been chased into the Brook, and so the Police where called yet again.

I have read the many postings about all aspects of the Leachs fields, from the size of a bramble bush, the well being of Newts, and the full A to Z of animal welfare issues.

My I ask yet again to the person(s) who are undertaking these actions, the horses have nothing to do with Leachs Homes, you have directly caused injury to these animals, do you care?

I think the overwhelming majority of people do care and certainly would not condone any criminal activity even if the ending of access to Leach Fields is unpopular. For example I posted on this site the fact that a horse was loose in Moffats Open Space and was concerned for it's welfare.

Like ADM, I'm not sure what you expect people to say, please don't tar all the people of BP with the same brush just because of the actions of whoever is causing all the vandalism.

Offline P.C 484 Freeman

• Community Police Team
« Reply #172 on: August 14, 2009, 12:45:39 pm »
Good afternoon,

I'm a sad to report that there has been a recent spate of criminal damage type offences within the Fenced off area of The Leach fields site.
Fences are being broken or removed, causing Horses to escape from their fields, and property within the fields belonging to Horse Owners is also being damaged.

Not only is the damage being caused a Criminal Offence, it is also endangering the lives of the animals involved, which are escaping into un-fenced areas and very near local to roads.  At the moment it is pure luck that no Horses have managed to reach the roads, and I do not need to elaborate on the possible consequences if this were to happen.

Criminal Damage will not be tolerated and all people caught committing any offences will be dealt with to the full extent of our powers.  Police will be increasing patrols in this area to combat this unwelcome behaviour.

If you have witnessed any offences of this type or have any information in relation to these incidents  please contact either myself or P.C.S.O 6688 LUXFORD on 01707 354192 or Crime stoppers on 0800 555111 in confidence.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #173 on: August 16, 2009, 12:46:05 pm »
PC Freeman's new topic has been merged with this one since there has already been considerable discussion about it under the 'Leach Fields' heading.

I finally met PC Freeman a few days ago.  Nice bloke, but his youthfulness made me feel my age!   It is true - the police seem to get younger as you get older, or something like that.

Offline P.C 484 Freeman

• Community Police Team
« Reply #174 on: August 16, 2009, 03:59:02 pm »
Was nice to meet you, and I would encourage anyone who's see's me out and about to come and have a chat with me,  to either tell me your concerns or just to say hello.

Alternatively my contact details are on The Hertfordshire Police Website if you want to give me a call or drop me an email.

We hold regular meetings in the Village for you to get to meet us, and I would like to see more people turn up to discuss their village with us.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend

P.C 484 Freeman

Offline MikeL

« Reply #175 on: November 27, 2010, 02:02:58 pm »
Well after about 18 months, Leach Fields have reached the top of the “to do” list at the Rights of Way Service.  The Definitive Map Officer is now looking at the evidence to determine if any rights of way have been established over Leach Fields. The bad news is that the forms most of us filled in were provided by the Ramblers Association, and Hertfordshire County Council does not recognise these forms and insists that all requests be submitted on their own (considerably longer) forms. One form for each route claimed.

If you did fill in a form before, please would you take the time to fill in one of the new forms now. And if you didn’t fill in a form before, it’s not too late to fill one in now.

You can download the forms from the following FTP site. ftp.hosting.zen.co.uk The user name is “MikeL” and the password is “password”.

If you are unable to download the forms, please mail me and I will send you a copy. Alternatively, I can bring round a hard copy if you would like.

Many of us are convinced that a legal right of way does exist across Leach Fields, it just needs your evidence to prove it.

ftp.hosting.zen.co.uk

Offline Susa

• Forum Member
« Reply #176 on: November 28, 2010, 12:16:07 pm »
I have just downloaded the form and maps (thank you MikeL). Do you know what the 'HCC File Reference' is? And 'Parish &/or Name of Route'?
Thank you.

Offline MikeL

« Reply #177 on: November 30, 2010, 09:17:35 pm »
Susa, I'm sorry, I didn't notice your question until this evening.

I have been sent a map from the Definitive Map Officer with a file reference of "W+H/81/MOD".

I don't know if that is the full HCC reference or just her personal file reference. The form does say "If known" so it may be best to leave it off.

MikeL

Offline MikeL

« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2011, 04:25:08 pm »
Have received the following earlier today:

"Application to amend the Definitive Map and Statement of Public Rights of Way in the area of Leach Fields, Brookmans Park
Ref. W+H/81/MOD

We (Hertfordshire County Council) have investigated evidence relating to alleged footpaths in the area of Leach Fields, near Gobions Wood in Brookmans Park.  After full consideration of all the evidence available, we have decided to make an Order to record paths 1 – 7 as shown on the attached Plan as footpaths, with a width of two metres and subject to the limitations set out by the Gobions Woodland Trust at Points A and B.  A footpath is a public right of way for use on foot only.

I have attached a decision letter and a detailed report titled “Reasons for the Decision” which explains the evidence and how we made our decision.  I have also included a formal Notice of the Decision.   Our decision is not about creating new rights.  It is about correctly recording rights which the evidence shows already exist. 

If you would like a paper copy of any of the above or if you have any queries about this decision, please contact me.

Regards - Andrea

Andrea Trendler
Definitive Map Officer
Rights of Way Service CHN 103
01992 555280 or 25280"

I expect the land owners will probably appeal, which will result in a public enquiry. But at least the council have recognised that the paths have been in constant use long enough to make them public rights of way.

If anyone would like a copy of the documents mentioned, please let me know.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2011, 07:17:19 pm »
Fantastic news, my family have been walking those paths for 47 years and have sorely missed them since Leach Homes have closed them off. If it comes to a public enquiry, we would be delighted to give evidence.

Very well done to you MikeL and everyone else involved   :)

Tags: