Author Topic: Happiness  (Read 9491 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Happiness
« on: December 05, 2008, 09:10:40 am »
According to the BBC, if you live less than a mile from a chum who is happy you are likely to be happier.

Happiness is infectious and can "ripple" through social groups, according to US researchers.

A study of 5,000 adults suggests a person's happiness is dependent on the happiness of those around them.

A friend who becomes happy and lives less than a mile away increases your likelihood of happiness by 25%, the British Medical Journal reported.

Click for more.

Just interested in what makes others happy. Mine are:

• Knowing my family is safe and well
  • Liverpool winning
  • Being outside in the fresh air

:)

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline stevea

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Happiness
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 09:48:57 am »
Mine are;-

* Knowing my family are safe and well

* The UK stuffing the Aussies at anything!

* Wearing shorts and t-shirts all year round

* Owning a rubbish removals and demolition business having had the worst storms go through Brisbane in
   25 years!  ;D  ;D

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 10:32:01 am »
Owning a rubbish removals and demolition business

You can read that in one of two ways  ;D

Offline Grumpy Old Roy

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 12:07:44 pm »

Happiness

Thinking how happy I could have made Marilyn Monroe had she called me,
Taking the middleweight title from Sugar Ray Robinson for England
Following my instincts and buying up all those old Bentley and Bugatie classics in the fifties for pennies (old money)
Becoming World leader and creating peace throughtout the whole world.

However, a reality check.
Happiness is,
Living in BP with nice neighbours,
Looking at my 1951 classic Bentley, and even better, driving it.
Seeing the smiles on my gransons faces when I bore them once again about my two years nation service.
Counting my blessing's when I look at the ghastly events going on around the world. 

And lastly, despite current events, let me quote

Happiness is,

To be born English, is to have won the lottery of Life.

Grumpy Old Roy

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 10:20:08 pm »
Mine are:

The joy that all my sins are forgiven - for Jesus paid the full penalty for them when he died and rose again 

The assurance of eternal life - which is a free gift to all who trust in Jesus

The glorious anticipation of the return of Jesus Christ to the earth to reign - which is closer than it has ever been before

In comparison to these for me all else pales into insignificance

Barnabus

Offline JarOfClay

• Opinions on a couple of things
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 02:27:56 pm »
I'm with barnabus on this one! After all, everything else pales into insignificance compared to our eternal standing with the one who created us and everything around us.

Chasing happiness is like chasing after the wind!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 07:38:45 pm »

everything else pales into insignificance compared to our eternal standing with the one who created us and everything around us.

...even loved ones?  I can't believe you and Barnabus really mean that. Surely loved ones are an important part of happiness. I prefer to make the most of the here and now, family, friends, footy and fresh air.

David

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 09:20:59 pm »

everything else pales into insignificance compared to our eternal standing with the one who created us and everything around us.

Unfortunately this was probably the thoughts in the minds of those who perpetrated 9/11, 7/7 and Mumbai......

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 10:17:39 pm »
...even loved ones?  I can't believe you and Barnabus really mean that. Surely loved ones are an important part of happiness. I prefer to make the most of the here and now, family, friends, footy and fresh air.

Unfortunately this was probably the thoughts in the minds of those who perpetrated 9/11, 7/7 and Mumbai......

Even loved ones? yes! Jesus said we must put him before everything and the first commandment that Moses received says the same thing ( so both Christians and Jews believe in putting God before anything)  . Of course my loved ones are very important to me and the lack of guilt based on the knowledge of sins forgiven, assurance of ones future destiny and that of this planet is in Gods hands gives peace of mind and heart which hopefuly makes us easier to live with leading to a true enjoyment of all the rich variety of things that God has in His grace given us in the here and now. So we really do win all round - it is marvellous!

I dont think those involved in 9/11 7/7 or Mumbai were Christians - did they not belong to one of the other great world religions? One should not assume that someone who takes their faith seriously would necessarily condone or take part in the indiscrimate murder of innocent people ( even Muslims)  - I certainly would not. I do not like being lumped together with those who would. It is a bit like saying that because Pol Pot was a vicisous murderer that everyone involved in politics is of the same ilke - it is a very cheap point in my view.

Barnabus

Offline Abbot

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 11:32:29 pm »
Happiness is being a Roman Catholic Priest, No Wife, no Mother in Law, no nagging Children, no worry about the welfare state,
just believing in the Pope to give you guidance in this life and God in the next.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 06:17:05 am »
This was meant to be a light-hearted thread, but I have revised my list to add one more.

• Knowing my family is safe and well
  • Liverpool winning
  • Being outside in the fresh air
  • Enjoying all the above without feeling guilty or needing forgiveness to do so.

David

Offline Grumpy Old Roy

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 08:14:02 am »

David

Totally agree with you, but didn't you mean Arsenal winning the cup, not Liverpool.
 Not to worry, easy mistake.

Grumpy Old Roy

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 09:04:02 am »

Totally agree with you, but didn't you mean Arsenal winning the cup, not Liverpool.
 Not to worry, easy mistake.

No, Arsenal don't make me happy, but they do make some of my chums happy, so, according to the theory behind this thread, if they are happy and live nearby I should also be happy, too. But it doesn't work like that if Arsenal beat Liverpool, so the theory is flawed.

Offline Grumpy Old Roy

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 11:01:42 am »

No, Arsenal don't make me happy, but they do make some of my chums happy, so, according to the theory behind this thread, if they are happy and live nearby I should also be happy, too. But it doesn't work like that if Arsenal beat Liverpool, so the theory is flawed.

Yes, of course the theory is flawed, how can I be happy if Spurs beat Arsenal, thankfully there is no one in BP so silly to be a Tottenham supporter, so I am OK.

Grumpy Old Roy

PS I am not sure if I have shadowed Davids Comments
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:03:52 am by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 11:05:44 am »
Hi Roy, you need to use the quote button and it does it all for you.

David

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 09:38:21 pm »

Yes, of course the theory is flawed, how can I be happy if Spurs beat Arsenal, thankfully there is no one in BP so silly to be a Tottenham supporter, so I am OK.

Grumpy Old Roy

Phew, Roy, you only just make it.  There's one silly enough in Welham Green but it's not less than a mile away.

My recipe:

Knowing my family is well and happy
A sunny day, not too hot, but with deep blue sky.
Birds, preferably singing, but anyway just being there.

Note, edited only to fix quote box. David
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 09:41:04 pm by David Brewer »

John_fraser

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 10:38:52 pm »
What a load of idealistic tosh. Very few people are happy because their family is safe and well or they enjoy good health. Sure, if they are in danger or unwell they'd be desperately unhappy, but when they or you are safe and well people tend to take that situation for granted and almost never think of it. When you do think of it you tend to do it in "count your blessing" way. It may make you grateful when you remember to think about it, but not 'happy'.

I don't have the depth of faith barnabus claims, but I doubt it makes him/her any more happy than their good health or their families. He/She may think of it often, but I doubt it puts a spring in the step and a song in the heart.

I was genuinely happy when Spurs 4th goal went in at The Emirates and doubly so when I saw the faces of the Arsenal players and fans and I was happy when Spurs beat Liverpool (twice). Those situations do put a spring in the step. A couple of weeks on holiday away from the stress of the office can make anyone happy, so can playing a game of chess against your child or seeing them on stage or having a drink with mates. It's the shallow stuff that makes you happy.

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 02:26:51 am »
John - like David said, this was meant to be a light hearted thread, a bit of fun. Your remark about idealistic tosh isn't that! Everyone to their own. Horses for courses.  Anyway, the other things that make me really happy I wouldn't be allowed to print!  ;D

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 05:52:56 am »

What a load of idealistic tosh. Very few people are happy because their family is safe and well or they enjoy good health.

Hi John,

I totally disagree. There have been so many times in life when members of my family have been unwell, resulting in the loss of both parents on my side and my wife's dad to cancer (the long, drawn out exhausting type), that we both realise how important it is to cherish the good times, because the bad can be so bloody awful.

So no, knowing my family is safe and well is still number one. Every morning I wake up and see them in one piece I think 'aren't I lucky' because we all know it won't always be that way.

And the same goes for Liverpool. Despite being stuffed by Spurs we sit on top of the league. Makes me happy for the moment because I know it won't always be that way.

David

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 09:15:10 pm »

What a load of idealistic tosh. Very few people are happy because their family is safe and well or they enjoy good health.

It's not idealistic tosh, John.  I am fortunate in that I quite often have the thought, "I am happy at this moment", but there is no way that could happen if my husband, daughters or brother were ill.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 09:46:08 pm by David Brewer »

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 09:32:03 pm »
What a load of idealistic tosh. ...... but not 'happy'.

I don't have the depth of faith barnabus claims, but I doubt it makes him/her any more happy than their good health or their families. He/She may think of it often, but I doubt it puts a spring in the step and a song in the heart.

Every morning I wake up and see them in one piece I think 'aren't I lucky' because we all know it won't always be that way.

Of course when something good happens or one is thankful for the relationships around one and it creates a good feeling we call happiness.

I just dont think it is enough though - because in the course of my day challenges and bad things happen all the time and it is then something deeper than happiness has to take over - in order that I am not discouraged (excessively) by the bad experiences or elated (excessively) by the good.

For me as a Christian my happiness and sadness is tempered by my faith in God, Jesus and the Bible - the knowledge that God is in charge, that He is allowing me to go through th current experience for a purpose, that he is a good God and is able to bring good out of evil - and lots of other things - and sometimes I lose sight of that - but that is where my joy and peace come from in the midst of all lifes experiences .

It is of course easy to dismiss all this as whistling in the dark (or worse!) but just to change the emphasis of this thread a little, what is it that gets us through the darker times of life - like the death of a loved one, or our football team losing or a financial crisis, or the break up of a long term relationship - that is what really counts!

Barnabus

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 09:51:42 pm »

what is it that gets us through the darker times of life - like the death of a loved one, or our football team losing or a financial crisis, or the break up of a long term relationship - that is what really counts!

Hi Barnabus, I find it is relying on the strength within me to cope with the bad times. It's all about staying positive and keeping going, and not relying on anyone else to get through, but doing it alone. That strength is built by making the most of the good times. It's all about living for the moment and living it to the full.

And I am very happy tonight, Liverpool just finished top of their Champions League group.

David

John_fraser

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 10:32:07 pm »
My point, which was missed, is that people tend to take the important things for granted and while they can make you very very unhappy indeed, happiness is usually determined by the trivial and unimportant.

For example, if someone were to ask me how I felt right now I would have to say I was ok, not too bad. Certainly not unhappy, but not smiling and not blissfully content. Probably a typical reply from most people for most of the time. Well my family is safe and I am in reasonable heath. These things can't get any better, my family won't be any safer than right now and I'll never get younger, so by everyone else's theory this state of happiness is as good as it gets for me. But I bet Dave is in a good mood right now and if King Harry gets Spurs to nick a result against Man U on Saturday I will be grinning for most of the weekend.

LongTallSally

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 11:01:20 am »
So John Fraser, you value Spurs above your family.

Pity them for having such a cynic in their midst, bet that makes them unhappy!!!!

Some people just never know when they're blessed!! ;D

John_fraser

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 05:46:12 pm »
I know several men who have been divorced. A few of them more than once. But I've yet to meet a man who's changed the team he supports.

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 10:42:24 pm »
I know several men who have been divorced. A few of them more than once. But I've yet to meet a man who's changed the team he supports.

I know several men who have loved one woman for many, many years, and have never supported a team.  So, John? What's your point?

John_fraser

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 06:22:10 pm »
I hate to tell you this, but I know a few men who go to an away game whenever their wife isn't looking :)

But my point isn't about what's important. I think we all know what's important.
My point isn't about how you will be unhappy without health and if your loved ones are in pain or danger. That is beyond dispute.
I also think that without some sort of purpose in your life you will find it hard to be happy. The purpose can be religion, your family, work, a hobby or a great deal of things.

Unhappiness can be permanent. A deficiency in the important things (heath, loved ones, purpose) will make you unhappy for as long as the deficiency remains. This may for the rest of your life.

People who have good health, whose loved ones are safe and who have a purpose may be happy for a period when they first attain this state, but happiness is always a temporary state. As we all know, you can't be happy all the time, because happy is something extra, above the norm. As good heath etc becomes the norm, we tend to take them for granted and we return to the 'ok' state. Then it is the little, unimportant things that make us happy. The little things include playing football with you children, or having dinner with your wife or enjoying a long walk on a nice day, but these again are transient and unimportant.

My point is that the big things enable you to be happy, but most of the time it's the small things that take you the extra mile and make you happy.

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 09:42:03 pm »
That's just what we were saying, so there was really no need to accuse us of writing idealistic tosh.

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 09:49:12 pm »
Something that made me very happy today is that someone sent me this list which remined me of all the Jesus has done for me; not becase I deserve it, or becasue I have faith , or because I am especially good or bad or anything really -  but just because of his grace (unmerited favour) and His love which He longs to shower upon anyone who will just recieve it. I hope you also find them at least as uplifting as I did.  

I KNOW WHO I AM

I am God's child (John 1:12)
I am Christ's friend (John 15:15 )
I am united with the Lord (1 Cor. 6:17)
I am bought with a price (1 Cor 6:19-20)
I am a saint (set apart for God). (Eph. 1:1)
I am a personal witness of Christ.  (Acts 1:8)
I am the salt & light of the earth (Matt 5:13-14)
I am a member of the body of Christ (1 Cor 12:27)
I am free forever from condemnation ( Rom. 8: 1-2)
I am a citizen of Heaven. I am significant (Phil 3:20)
I am free from any charge against me (Rom. 8:31 -34)
I am a minister of reconciliation for God (2 Cor 5:17-21)
I have access to God through the Holy Spirit (Eph. 2:18)
I am seated with Christ in the heavenly realms (Eph. 2:6)
I cannot be separated from the love of God (Rom 8:35-39)
I am established, anointed, sealed by God  (2 Cor 1:21-22 )
I am assured all things work together for good  (Rom. 8:28  )
I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit (John 15:16 )
I may approach God with freedom and confidence (Eph. 3: 12 )
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Phil. 4:13)
I am the branch of the true vine, a channel of His life (John 15: 1-5)
I am God's temple (1 Cor. 3: 16).  
I am complete in Christ (Col. 2: 10)
I am hidden with Christ in God (Col. 3:3)..
I have been justified (Romans 5:1)
I am God's co-worker (1 Cor. 3:9; 2 Cor 6:1).
I am God's workmanship (Eph. 2:10)
I am confident that the good works God has begun in me will be perfected. (Phil. 1: 5)
I have been redeemed and forgiven (Col 1:14).
I have been adopted as God's child (Eph 1:5)

I belong to God
Do you know who you are?

John_fraser

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 11:53:39 pm »
That's just what we were saying, so there was really no need to accuse us of writing idealistic tosh.

Probably not, but it made me happy.

Tags: