Author Topic: Faith school campaign  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Faith school campaign
« on: November 11, 2008, 10:25:23 pm »
A local resident and forum member has drawn my attention to a charity that is campaigning against faith schools. Click here for more details.

David
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 06:40:22 am by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Re: Faith school campaign
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 10:32:14 am »
Interesting to see that someone called Simon Bishop has donated 2,000 to this campagn.  Not the most appropriate name for someone opposing faith schools.

One of my grandchildren went to a CoE village school for a couple of years and found that the discipline was a lot stricter than the one she has now returned to.  We have a church school in Welham Green which I think had problems a few years ago but now seems to be thriving.

According to the press, church schools have better discipline and good exam results.  The two seem to go together as reported only this week at Tendring Tech College.  I know that discipline could be improved at non-religious schools, but why knock success.  It is like the attacks on grammar schools - speaking as someone who went to one  >:D

Offline derekmarcus

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 06:44:59 pm »
The reaqson that religious schools often show better discipline and academic results is that they operate selection of pupils to avoid the less academic and possibly disruptive pupils. They also operate discrimination in their employment practices.
The more important point, though, is that they segregate children according to the religion of their parents, which makes for a divided society where young people do not mix with those of other religions or none.
By expanding segregated schools we are storing up trouble for the future.  Remember Northern Ireland?
The interesting aspect of this "Accord" organisation is that it has both religious and non-religious people and is, in fact, chaired by a rabbi.
I was more than happy to send them a donation.
Derek Marcus (Potters Bar)
Derek Marcus. Potters Bar. (North London Humanist Group)

John_fraser

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 08:12:24 pm »
The reaqson that religious schools often show better discipline and academic results is that they operate selection of pupils to avoid the less academic and possibly disruptive pupils.

To you have any evidence to back that up?

Tags: