Author Topic: The Brooky's bikers  (Read 17816 times)

Offline Barry Bloxham

• Opinions on some things
The Brooky's bikers
« on: October 24, 2008, 08:53:20 am »
...........and what happened to all the bikers that used the public bar, i may know you if you used the brooky's in the early 70's.

Hello to anyone that remembers me from the Post Office that my parents used to own,  That is where the Village Vet - Veterinary is now, 5 Bradmore Green.

When we moved in 1969 the post office was transferred to what was then the toy shop. Because the new owners had a manager in the shop and Post Office rules stipulated it had to be run by the owner of the shop.

I used to deliver the Evening News and Standard around the whole village as I was Dad's worse morning paper boy!  ;D On a Saturday evening I used to go to the golf club and sell the latest evening papers hot off the press with all the football results I think I used to get 6d for every paper from the golfers as I struggled to find any change. ::)

Mum and Dad were members there,... just got in by the skin of their teeth so they heard because they were **Shop Keepers**  ???...How times have changed!  I even play there now when my club West Herts G C have away matches there! You would have never of thought would you....ha ha.

Mum and Dad are still going strong as is my sister Jean.

Back to the biker question from a 100+ day old thread, I am still in touch with most of the guys and we meet each year for a drink and natter about the old days at a club in Hatfield.

Ken Rirsch (The Oasis Tea room on the green), Clive Stoodley, Bill Gough, David Lawrence, Jim (James) Hopper, Ian Banwell, Trevor Baker, Graham Scarborough, Ian Pratt, Tim Gale, Graham Turner, Mick Holmes ....to mention a few. :o

We moved to Devon but I was soon back and staying with Dave in Welham Green as Devon was just a bit too quiet for me.  Numerous jobs, never out of work, then settled down to selling commercial vehicles in Enfield (Arlington motors) But the three day week recession made me go for a more stable job.

So I joined the Hertfordshire Fire Brigade in 1975 did my time and I am now retired and happily married to Helen who I met in Watford in 1977.

On my last day  ;D

I have ridden motorcycles since 1968 and have owned since 2003 a Harley-Davidson 1450 cc Road King...So still living the dream having reached 53k miles from new.  ;)

;D The Summer of 1969  ;D

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:09:55 am by Barry Bloxham »

Offline stevea

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: The Brooky's bikers
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 11:41:47 am »
Hi Barry. I remember all the bikers in the Brooky's in the early 70's.  There were also a lot of gypsies and builders that used the Public Bar in the lunchtime session - 12.00-2.00 in those days. I used to go there with my father. Rules weren't so strict then as I was well under age. I clearly recall Bill Gough, David Lawrence and Ian Banwell.
Did Ian have a sister called Lynn or Linda? 

Offline rainbow

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 05:53:53 pm »
hello barry,
                  i remember your name but not the face, was it graham turner who used to drive a green herald estate? and who was it that rode a yellow norton commando but it was of the road more than on coz he was always messing with it.

Offline Mary_Morgan

• statio bene fide carinis
  • Expertises:
  • Gin & Tonic
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 06:31:37 pm »
Hi Barry

I remember you.    I am a few years older than you.   Also remember KR (I had a Saturday job working for his mum in the Oasis), GS, GT, MH, IP, and IB from more recent years.  Before I left the UK I used to see IP quite regularly on the daily commute.  Have seen GT and IB over recent years just before I left and on visits home for a great pint at the Woodman Wild Hill.

How about a left to right on the photo.  You are the only one I recognise.

stevea, I also remember some of the gypsies and builders who used to drink in the public bar, no names but just memories of interesting people.   As for drinking under age - yes, I did it too, in the 60s. 

rainbow, you know I remember you :-)

Happy Days.

Mary
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 04:48:00 am by Mary_Morgan »

Offline Ann

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 12:23:12 pm »
I remember Ken Rirsch and Mick Holmes they were friends with my then boyfriend Simon Morris and my friend Janet Abbot

Offline Barry Bloxham

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 01:58:25 pm »
Hi Barry. I remember all the bikers in the Brooky's in the early 70's.  There were also a lot of gypsies and builders that used the Public Bar in the lunchtime session - 12.00-2.00 in those days. I used to go there with my father. Rules weren't so strict then as I was well under age. I clearly recall Bill Gough, David Lawrence and Ian Banwell.
Did Ian have a sister called Lynn or Linda? 

Yes Ian has a sister called Lyn. BTW who are you?  ;D

hello barry,
                  i remember your name but not the face, was it graham turner who used to drive a green herald estate? and who was it that rode a yellow norton commando but it was of the road more than on coz he was always messing with it.

Can't remember the Herald estate? Ken Rirsch had the yellow Norton.

Hi Barry

How about a left to right on the photo.  You are the only one I recognise.

Happy Days.

Mary

Mary in that photo there is not many from the Brookies.

First left is Terry Green from Welham Green killed in a car accident early 70's. :(
Then James (Jim) Hopper (The Cuttings) Gt Nth Road next to Kentish lane.
Then Moi...LOL
The rest were not regulars at the pub.

Ok so here is another blast from the past!

Left > Right.
Dianne Ken Rirsch's wife sadly passed away. :(
Dave Lawerance, WelhamGreen
Pete Diamond, (Peplyns Close)
Ian Bamwell, Potters Bar
Graham Turner, Bradmore Way

Clive Stoodley, Bradmore Way
James (Jim) Hopper The Cuttings
Buried Ken Rirsch The Oasis Cafe Bradmore Green

Trevor Baker and Clive Stoodley

On Kens wedding day to the late Dianne.
Ken and his two brothers.

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 10:22:03 pm »
Hi Barry
I've just sent you a personal message through this site.
Great photo's!
Cheers
Steve

Offline Ann

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 02:47:29 pm »

I remember Terry Green I was at School with him and his Sister Pam.

Offline milcars

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 04:43:00 pm »
Well, Well, Welll, Fancy that. I thought that when we were down at the Brookies growing up that no one els on this planet took any notice of us. I cant't think for the life of me who stevea might be. ??? I do remember Wendy who used to work behind the bar. Bob and sheila were running the pub for a long time until that bloke From up north took it over. I remember that it was always him  that was starting fights in the disco. What ever happened to that tiny bird that used to go to the Brookie with her brother Andy.

Offline milcars

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 04:51:51 pm »

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 07:59:18 pm »
Milcars - I can't think for the life of me who you are either!  :)

Offline milcars

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 09:18:07 pm »
Now come on steve, I'm new to this. I'm Bill. Who were the nurses and there was a bloke called ian twatt

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 02:39:59 am »
Milcars - Been thinking about this - are you related to Raymond and Benny?  I'm quite a bit younger than the people in the photo's.  I was the little *!*##! who let all the tyres down on the motorbikes!! My father used to watch the doors sometimes at the disco.

Offline milcars

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 09:47:35 am »
Hi Stevea, I'm Getting their slowly. Yes I am ben & rays brother, And I think that you may be J A's boy. I can't say I ever remembered any one els doing the door at the disco other that myself. But it certainly could be the case. So are you John's son, did you go to Australia? or am I miles off.

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 11:05:24 am »
Hi Milcars - you've got it in one - yes, it's me! Sorry about the tyres! Not only that, I used to tie peoples bumpers and exhaust pipes to posts and trees as well! I used to think it was hilarious, still do when I look back. Not sure about the nurses but sounds good to me! As for Ian Twatt.....I know plenty!  ;D

Offline Ken R

• Opinions on a couple of things
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 08:33:01 pm »
Dear All,

Interesting website I never knew it existed, I am obviously leading a sheltered life.

For those that remember me I am Ken Rirsch my Mum owned the Oasis cafe that Mary writes about. I lived there for about 5 years and remember Barry from the Post Office and Derek Statham from next door. Mary worked there as a saturday job and also her friend Diane Last.
Where did that photo of me and my brothers come from? Is that barry's doing? Bob the eldest sadly passed away last year but Eric the youngest will be interested to see it.

Anyhow I am now settled in Sandridge near St. Albans after spending many years working in the middle east.

The pub acted more like our own social club and I remember Dennis Bowers being the landlord. Stocky, no nonsense sort of guy but very tolerant of us poor bikers making a pint last all night. I owned a yellow Norton 650SS, then a yellow 750 Norton Atlas but never a yellow Commando. I have many more pictures of the scene in the car park on a good night if I can work out how to load pictures.

Bye for now

P.S. Mary where are you now?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 08:44:44 pm »
Hi Ken,

Welcome to the forum.

To upload pictures just click on the + Additional options link at the bottom right of the page where you post a new message. You then get an option to upload pictures. Make sure they are not too big first.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mary_Morgan

• statio bene fide carinis
  • Expertises:
  • Gin & Tonic
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 05:28:23 pm »
Hi Ken

I am in Abu Dhabi, just coming up for 10 years.   Great place, but it has got an awful lot busier than it was when I first came out in in 99. 

Still see Diane regularly.

Mary
xxx

Offline milcars

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 07:25:27 pm »
Hello Ken,
My dad remembers a man called Ken that used to go to the Brookmans Park Hotel that used to be able to peel an orange in his pocket, Was that you?

Offline petrometro

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 11:21:47 am »
Hi everyone, I recognise some of the names although never had a bike, my parents wouldn't allow me to kill myself! My brother Martin Callomon did have one, a Motoguzzi CHIPS style sit up and beg type. My youngest brother Paul had a BMW 650 - some of you may remember either of them. The bloke who started fights in the disco, coupled with gobbing over the equipment was David Owen and Peter Embleton. I think DO is called Rainbow on another post- he seems to have ended up in north wales again. No signs of PE though. His sister, Christine was a "looker" though, as was Jackie Hatswell who lived in Peplins. My first crush, at 14 I have to confess.
I used to do the paper round for the "competition" which was the sweet shop next to the garage, the name of which I forget. Guy called Mumford. 5 mile paper round for 9 shillings and six pence a week in 1967. I usually spent it on sweets when I got the cash. I used to buy hardback biggles books from Bloxhams at half a crown a time. They are now collectors items!!
Since leaving Brooky in 1973 I have lived in Canada, Sussex, The Forest Of Dean, Greenwich and now Woodford in Essex. Now happily married 8 years with two lovely daughters, 6 and 4. When I see how many of my schoolfriends still live in the same area, have grown up children and are divorced etc it brings it all home how much I did as a single man before Vivienne, my wife, got her claws in! I shall have dependents until way beyond 73 ! My parents are now celebrating their 50th year of living on Moffats Lane- quite an achievement!
Looking forward to reading more posts from voices of the past.
Regards, Peter Callomon

Offline j_a_c_k_i_e

• Opinions on a couple of things
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 07:15:23 am »
 hello all from far away Sydney.... the object of that 14yr old crush it would appear  ::) although it seems I was completely oblivious to it at the time.  I've lived here for 30 odd years now and would love to catch up with anyone who remembers me

Tags: