Author Topic: Saving Folly Arch  (Read 5448 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Saving Folly Arch
« on: March 20, 2002, 04:34:08 pm »
According to the North Mymms District Green Belt Society, legal action is being planned to save Folly Arch. Click here to read the report
Does anybody care?

Folly Arch, built about 1740 - Photograph by Geo. Knott, 1896.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2002, 11:48:02 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
Re: Saving Folly Arch
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2002, 09:47:57 pm »
In short not really!
Looks a bit of a folly to me?
regards
jet

Offline NMLHS

• Opinions on many things
  • North Mymms Local History Society informant
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2002, 09:34:26 pm »
English Heritage usually give a percentage grant.  I wonder if the owner of the arch has the funds to make up the difference??  I assume so otherwise he would not have agreed to start this month.  Perhaps the builder is busy and late starting - it often happens.  Good builders with the expertise to carry out this sort of work usually have full order books.

ROLES

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2002, 08:15:50 pm »
Being an expat as it were, from Little Heath, I used to live in Swanley Bar Lane, I would like to see the Folly Arch renovated. I would also be grateful if anyone has a photo of said Arch as I am interested in pyrography and would like to do a rendition on wood.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2002, 08:21:11 pm by ROLES »

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2002, 06:08:49 pm »
We care very much! We would like to see Folly Arch saved, and cannot understand why it has been allowed to deteriorate so badly. We believed that the 'owners' were only able to buy the  Arch, and the adjacent derelict building and the surrounding land, on the proviso that they renovated the Arch. We may have missed something, but from our perspective the 'owners' have built themselves a huge house but done nothing about the Arch. Is this perspective unfair, or have they done huge amounts that we are not aware of?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2002, 09:14:35 pm »
Latest news as at last week (17 Oct) is that the immediate works will be underpinning and stabilisation.  The crack repairs will have to wait.   :'(

Offline eric

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2002, 02:54:01 pm »
Dear Bobcatuk
News from where please ?
The suggestion seems to be to do half the job now, the other half sometime never ?
Does it make sense to stabilise something that it is out of alignment so that the later repairs are themselves out of alignment too ?  ( any engineers out there to comment ?)
Yours
Eric

Offline Swan

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2002, 03:05:58 pm »
Its on the Greenbelt soc report, elsewhere on this site
http://www.greenbeltsociety.org.uk/
Godwin's Law:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Offline eric

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2002, 05:25:53 pm »
Thank you, Swan   I've looked again at GBSoc and read under "Latest News"  -  but still can't find answers to my particular questions ?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2002, 02:05:10 pm »
An engineer has told me that it does make sense to underpin the arch and ensure that it has stabilised before tackling the crack in the central span.  You may recall that the crack got bigger just one week before repair work was about to start in 1999.  It is sensible to not make same mistake twice.  Hence the two-stage work this time.
Photos of the central arch taken in 1999 and earlier this year show that the crack is virtually unchanged in that time.

Tags: