Author Topic: Door-to-door caller warning for Brookmans Park  (Read 61722 times)

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Door-to-door caller warning for Brookmans Park
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2008, 11:24:39 am »
Never, ever sign up on the doorstep.

There are several websites such as uswitch.com where you can get quotes from all available suppliers as well as general advice.

These door to door callers only represent one company and in my experience frequently lie or bend the truth with tales like "you seem to be paying too much", things they cannot possibly know.

Offline Ann

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2008, 12:49:38 pm »
I live with my 92yr old mother. she is profoundly deaf so would not answer the door.  I never answer the door after dark plus the warning police sticker sign on the door, should deter any unwelcome visits. I only wish I had the chain on the door as I have at my Bungalow in Potters Bar.
I just hope that other elderely people in the area are not taken advantage of.
No doubt as the police have been involved these people will move on.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2008, 01:44:29 pm »
Interesting to read the story on BBC News Online just now about Npower.

Npower fined over doorstep sales
The energy regulator Ofgem has announced that it will fine energy supplier Npower £1.8m. It said the company had not taken sufficient action to prevent the mis-selling of contracts to its customers. Npower dismissed six members of its sales team in May following its own investigation into allegations that potential customers had been misled.  Click here for more details.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2009, 03:30:26 pm »
Npower callers are knocking door-to-door again asking to see your current bills, saying they can beat what you are paying. Might be worth warning elderly relatives not to share such sensitive information.

David
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 03:51:02 pm by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Carrie

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2009, 05:02:26 pm »
And maybe tell them that "you've gone green" and all your bills are viewed online.  That's always a conversation killer for these annoying people. ;)

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2009, 07:34:33 pm »
Just tell them that you have used uswitch.com and gocompare.com and you don't wish to sign up on the doorstep when you can do it all online.

Offline P.C 484 Freeman

• Community Police Team
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2009, 05:07:44 pm »
Hello, I am your local officer whilst P.C Jo Wakelen is recovering from an injury.

I just wanted to add some advice to what to do should a cold caller or suspicious caller attend your address. 

- If you are ever unsure about anyone that has knocked at your house or property, refuse them entry and report them to the Police.

- A legitimate caller representing a legitimate company will not mind being asked to produce identification showing who they are, who they work for, and the purpose of their visit.

- No identification - No entry.

- Even if identification is shown to you by the caller, you still do not have to let them in.  If you are unsure, close the door on them and contact the Police on 0845 3300222 (non emergency) or 999 in an emergency.

- Never leave a stranger un attended inside your house, regardless of who they are or what company they are representing.

- If you have a door chain at your address, use it, that is exactly what it is there for and offers you added safety and protection for your home.

- If in doubt, do not answer the door, it is your house and you do not have too.

If you wish to discuss this with me, or talk about ways to protect yourself and your home please contact either myself or P.C.S.O Louise Luxford on 01707 806948 and we would more than happy to speak with you.

Kind regards
P.C Ross Freeman

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2009, 06:05:43 pm »
Hi Ross,

Welcome to the forum and the area, and thanks for the update.

David

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2009, 03:13:02 pm »
On a similar vein, I have had a phone call from EdF (Electricite de France) who own London Electricity and several other electricity companies.  I told the caller that I was not an EdF customer and I had signed up to the Telephone Preference Service, so I should not have been contacted by EdF. 

The cheeky reply was that EdF supplied the electricity to all this area so I was their customer.  I persisted by asking if they sent me a bill for my electricity, which they don't.  She gave up and rang off.

Don't fall for it.  It is a marketing ploy trying to get you to change to them.    >:D

The same applies to gas.  I buy my gas and electricity from one company but the gas and electricity will actually be sent down the pipes and cables by someone else.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2009, 02:21:52 pm »
Police say some local residents have received cold calls, both door-to-door and on the telephone, about security. Local community officers say you are within your rights to ask people to leave and ignore such approaches. They say it is not common practice for companies to send representatives to call door-to-door or phone unexpectedly. The information is contained in the October 2009 neighbourhood watch newsletter. 

Officers say concerned residents can contact PC222 Linda Stevens of the crime prevention office if you have concerns. Linda can be contacted on 01707-806936.

Offline Therock

• Opinions on many things
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2011, 06:47:19 pm »
I have just had a youngish man  aged 20+ knocking at my door, saying he has been released from prison, And would I like to buy cleaning materials etc. I remember this Bloke Knocking last year about the same time.  Why do mugs like this try to pull the wool over us??. I am concerned for the elderly people that someone is calling this time of Night. He soon moved on when I said I saw him last year.  Beware and be Alert.

Offline Therock

« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2011, 06:58:56 pm »
PS. I have nothing against ex-HM Ex Pats earning a Living, But when they try to pull a fast one Well thats a different story. Why dont they call in the daytime as well??

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2011, 07:38:50 pm »
my parents had something similar the other day, the guy got quite aggresive when they told him no thanks.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2011, 08:13:16 pm »
Thanks for posting this as I thought I heard someone knocking on the porch door at about 7.30 so I just ignored it.  Definitely shouldn't be coming round at night whoever they are IMO.

Offline GGDT

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2011, 08:19:51 pm »
I have just had a youngish man  aged 20+ knocking at my door, saying he has been released from prison, And would I like to buy cleaning materials etc. I remember this Bloke Knocking last year about the same time.  Why do mugs like this try to pull the wool over us??. I am concerned for the elderly people that someone is calling this time of Night. He soon moved on when I said I saw him last year.  Beware and be Alert.

Had a bloke round doing this a couple of times now, dont see the problem personally.

Called in daylight both times and was carrying ID.

He seemed nice enough, explained what he was doing and didn't try to push anything on me.

His micro fibre dusters are excellent by the way and reasonably priced at £5 for three.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2011, 08:25:26 pm »
I don't mind people coming round in the day so much it's when they call when it's dark that I think it's a problem

Offline Bedlam

« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2011, 09:00:17 pm »
His micro fibre dusters are excellent by the way and reasonably priced at £5 for three.

AFAIK they sell at 5 for £1.25 in Tescos. You've been mugged.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2011, 09:13:26 pm »
I have merged this with an earlier post with contact details from the police for those worried about door to door cold calling.  I have also changed the title.

Offline Therock

« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2011, 10:03:51 am »
Has I have said I have no problem with people trying to earn a few quid. But when the opening line is "I have just been released from prison" well thats not quite the greeting you want.  And as there are a lot of elderly people living on there own round here, Calling at night is not ON.    As  Mr Lamb said some of these people can get the Right Hump if you dont buy of them.  Go to the £1 shop its Cheaper.

Offline Ex Libris

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Research
  • Boules (pétanque)
  • Teaching
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2011, 01:23:19 pm »
I picked up a sticker from the Herts Trading Standard's stall at last year's Herts Show. It has the Hertfordshire Constabulary logo on it and says, "Doorstep Sellers Beware. You are not welcome here. We do not buy or sell at the door". It seems to work! 

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2011, 03:22:42 pm »
I picked up a sticker from the Herts Trading Standard's stall at last year's Herts Show. It has the Hertfordshire Constabulary logo on it and says, "Doorstep Sellers Beware. You are not welcome here. We do not buy or sell at the door". It seems to work! 
good idea - anything that is a deterrent.
i think i will get a job lot and knock on some doors see if people are interested.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2011, 03:33:54 pm »
i think i will get a job lot and knock on some doors see if people are interested.

:icon_jokercolor: :icon_jokercolor: :icon_jokercolor:

Offline epiphany

« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2011, 04:12:11 pm »
Thanks for posting this as I thought I heard someone knocking on the porch door at about 7.30 so I just ignored it.  Definitely shouldn't be coming round at night whoever they are IMO.

It was probably larrylamb with a fistful of stickers!

Offline Therock

« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2011, 04:50:53 pm »
Mr Larry Lamb, Get  us a sticker, at cost price if possible.

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2011, 05:20:46 pm »
just had a guy call at my house, told him politely not interested, he then says to me "two minutes and gonna kill you mate" be warned.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2011, 05:52:44 pm »
just had a guy call at my house, told him politely not interested, he then says to me "two minutes and gonna kill you mate" be warned.

Hmm - are you sure he didn't say 'ain't' as that would be a lot less threatening than someone saying they are going to kill you in two minutes?!!

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2011, 06:40:13 pm »

Hmm - are you sure he didn't say 'ain't' as that would be a lot less threatening than someone saying they are going to kill you in two minutes?!!
yes see what you are saying, guess as i am still here it was "aint" :)

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2011, 06:42:51 pm »
Mr Larry Lamb, Get  us a sticker, at cost price if possible.
sure no problems mr the rock, they are 10p each, so thats 30p you owe me........

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2011, 01:46:33 pm »
Mis-hearing people can often have comical consequences. This morning at a well known fast food outlet, having placed my order and asked if I wanted to eat in, to which I replied "Yes", I was asked what I thought was whether I wanted a seat. I thought for a moment that there was a new tax being introduced where seating costs extra! I had to ask the assistant 3 times before one of her colleagues kindly interupted and clearly asked if I wanted a "receipt"!

Ok, I'm getting old, but why oh why can't 'peepul speek propper like'!  ? :'(

Offline Bedlam

« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2011, 04:03:24 pm »
I had to ask the assistant 3 times before one of her colleagues kindly interupted and clearly asked if I wanted a "receipt"!

Ok, I'm getting old, but why oh why can't 'peepul speek propper like'!  ? :'(

Because being able to speak English and liaisse with customers not a pre-requisite to work here in the UK.  ??? ??? ???

Tags: