Author Topic: Door-to-door caller warning for Brookmans Park  (Read 61541 times)

John_fraser

Re: Door-to-door caller warning for Brookmans Park
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2007, 12:37:10 pm »
On the life of me I cant understand what "Peppermint Person" is on about
Well you could try reading what was written, stand back and think about how it reads to someone with an open mind.

Offline Therock

• Opinions on many things
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2007, 03:49:25 pm »
I have stood back and read what was written,and I personaly have a open mind,but the Fact is that certain people are making money out of Sad issues and they are trying to make people feel sorry and then depart with there money especially the older generation who feel obliged to part with money or cannot say no like a younger person would. That is the point I the person with a OPEN MIND is making.As regards reading the statement from Peppermint I have and still find it vvery very boring.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2007, 04:59:12 pm »
The fact is that a lot of these door to door 'salesmen' are Eastern European. That is a simple fact and stating such a fact is not racist.

Secondly, barnabus' definition from Wikipedia includes 'biological differences ' - I'm not sure Eastern Europeans are different biologically so surely that is also not racist.

The problem is, in my eyes, that in the name of political correctness, anyone becomes 'racist' whenever any criticism of someone a little bit different to a middle English, white caucasean is made.

Events such as the ridiculous goings on with Big Brother simply make the situation worse.

In my opinion shads has not been the slightest bit racist, he has merely stated the facts as he or she sees them.

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2007, 05:16:41 pm »
The fact is that a lot of these door to door 'salesmen' are Eastern European. That is a simple fact and stating such a fact is not racist.

Secondly, barnabus' definition from Wikipedia includes 'biological differences ' - I'm not sure Eastern Europeans are different biologically so surely that is also not racist.

The problem is, in my eyes, that in the name of political correctness, anyone becomes 'racist' whenever any criticism of someone a little bit different to a middle English, white caucasean is made.

Events such as the ridiculous goings on with Big Brother simply make the situation worse.

In my opinion shads has not been the slightest bit racist, he has merely stated the facts as he or she sees them.

Hear Hear  - well said ;)

John_fraser

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2007, 05:24:22 pm »
It is not racist to say that a lot of these door to door 'salesmen' are Eastern European, although it may not be true either. The area where it strayed into causing offence was the implication that it was only "polish/romania/bulgarian economic migrants trying to extort money". I don't know if the implication was intentional by the writer or read in by over sensitivity, but some of the subsequent posts seem to indicate that some people are in a state of denial and unwilling to try and read things as others might.

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2007, 05:40:49 pm »
Shads didn't say they were trying to extort money just that were selling postcards and prints.

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2007, 05:44:55 pm »
In shads seconfd posting he said:

it first started with the tarmac driveway enthusiasts,then we had the dish cloths from the ex cons now we,ve got the polish/romania/bulgarian economic migrants trying to extort money any way they can in the guise of charity.

Cassie I am not sure you are correct - some fairly sweeping genralisations as I read it!

Barnabus

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2007, 06:45:44 pm »
 :-[ Sorry Barnabus, I just went to the top of the thread and referred to Shads' first post
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 06:55:12 pm by Cassie »

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2007, 06:47:48 pm »
Personally, I don't want anyone knocking on my door at 9 p.m. who I don't know - Polish or otherwise.

Someone did call on me, I called through the door to ask who it was and  said I wouldn't open the door and to maybe come back during the day
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 06:54:33 pm by Cassie »

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2007, 09:33:31 pm »
THEROCK,  You may find my comments very boring but not boring enough as you always seem to get rattled by them.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 11:50:01 am by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2007, 09:54:31 pm »
The issue is door-to-door selling, particularly in the evening. The nationality of those selling door-to-door doesn't really matter, does it?
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2007, 10:10:51 pm »
I agree.   If anyone is concerned about visitors to their doors at any time of the day or night, dont answer the door.

Incidentally, has anyone else had a visit from the man selling dvds from a holdall.   I know that he visits the shops on the Green regularly.   We always say no, but it must be worth his while coming back otherwise he wouldnt do it.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2007, 11:50:59 am »
Hi everyone,

Just made some minor edits to a couple of posts that were becoming a little personal. Thanks for everyone's understanding. Let's try to keep debate civil.

David
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 02:31:49 pm by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2007, 07:54:43 pm »
On the subject of door to door sellers, today at about midday, two guys came around in white coats, the type a butcher might wear, selling fish. I did not see the fish or the van, if indeed there was one, but they seemed pleasant enough. The one I spoke to had a Geordie accent. I didnít buy anything - Has anybody tried this fish?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2007, 09:47:07 pm »
On the subject of door to door sellers, today at about midday, two guys came around in white coats, the type a butcher might wear, selling fish. I did not see the fish or the van, if indeed there was one, but they seemed pleasant enough. The one I spoke to had a Geordie accent. I didn’t buy anything - Has anybody tried this fish?

Sounds a bit fishy to me.

David

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2007, 10:04:56 pm »
David

Have a sole - mocking is neither big nor clever Ė so stop being so shellfish or Iíll see youíre battered.

Fin.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2007, 10:14:31 pm »
That's me put in my plaice.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2007, 08:50:02 am »
The 'fishy' men said they'll be visiting every 12 weeks, so customers can stock up their freezers. They had a small white transit. Seemed genuine enough to me. On the theme of door to door, seems a shame that there used to be so many roundsmen in the not so distant past. I'm not that old, but I remember my mother ordering each week groceries from the local shop and it being delivered. In addition to the milk man (A1 Dairies) there was the baker, a greengrocer, the Corona man with fizzy drinks and Kleen-e-zee was as regular as clockwork. There was the Man from The Pru and the chap who did shear and mower sharpening who came round on his specially adapted push bike! Of course there was also the coal man, I used to love watching them delivering their sacks over their backs. I was fascinated with their strange, black caps and flaps that stopped coal dust going down their knecks! It's shame that the role of the 'roundsman' is now such a feared species!

Offline Susan

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2007, 08:53:28 am »
Well, with the welcome door-to-door people seem to get these days, it's hardly surprising! :)

Or is that only reserved for the "foreigners"...

Cheers
Sue

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2007, 09:16:47 am »
I think the modern day roundsman is alive and well.

These days he's likely to be driving a van with tesco.com or Ocado on the side.....

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2007, 11:12:15 am »
I wonder if Ferdie's Corona man also sold stone jars of Dandelion and Burdock, or Sarsaparella, or Ginger Beer etc.  You see these stone jars on sale in antiques fairs now.  You paid a deposit on the jar which you got back when they came round again a week or two later, or you exchanged the empties for filled ones

This was in the 1940s and maybe 1950s when I was a lad. The difference was that in those decades virtually nobody had a car so anything heavy had to be delivered.

I had a Saturday afternoon job delivering bread on my pedal cycle for a bakery shop.  I held a wicker basket to the handlebars and   Health and safety rules did not exist then.  I got 5 shillings (25p) plus tips and about a dozen fancy cakes if any were left at the end of the day - there always were and surprisingly some were my favourites!  It paid to keep in with the shop assistant.  My mother stopped baking fancy cakes while I had that job.

Offline Mark_Eric

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2008, 09:33:16 am »

I just returned from holiday and when I returned our neighbour, who was popping in my house twice a day to feed the cat, said that on the first Friday that I was away, the 28th Dec, a key was broken off in my front door lock. We have worked out that this happened between 4.30p.m and 9.00p.m. My house did not really look like we were away. The cars were on the front and the neighbour was going in and switching lights on and off. So, I guess that whoever it was possibly knocked first to see if we were in. So, if anybody gets any cold callers, be vigilant. We live in Peplins Way.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 09:52:28 am by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2008, 09:53:55 am »
Hi Mark,

I have made your post a new post and split it from the other.

To start a new post you click on the 'New Topic' icon, which looks like this and sits to the top left of each forum category. 

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2008, 07:30:12 pm »
Just had two guys with a clipboard calling at our house in Moffats Lane (in the dark on a Friday night) saying they are from npower and want to check our bills because their records say we are paying too much. 

They asked to see our bills so they could help us. I told them we were okay and they left to call next door.

Could this be a scam?  Seems suspicious to me. I called the local police (very impressed that I got through to someone quickly). They are going to investigate. My concern is what would happen if they called on an elderly person living on their own. Seems wrong.

If you have elderly relatives in the area I would suggest calling them and telling them to not let these people in and certainly don't go and rummage for your latest bill and hand it over.

I may be wrong, it may be legit, but I have a bad feeling about it. Hopefully the police will sort it out.

David
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 07:47:43 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2008, 07:51:59 pm »
Update

Just spoken to npower (very nice people and got through first time). They say they would not send people out this time of night. That all their agents must carry id. That they would never claim to know what you are paying because 'we don't have records of your bills', and that they are going to investigate immediately.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2008, 09:11:41 pm »
Just had our new community police officer, Louise Luxford, call round investigating my earlier call. They are going to have a check round the local roads and will contact npower. It may be that it is legit, but best to be sure.

Really prompt response, both Louise and her colleague, Sarah Cox, were great. The community policing works. It's less than 40 mins since I reported it and they had already been driving round looking for the door to door callers for 15 mins.

Thanks Louise and Sarah.

David

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2008, 12:29:13 am »
I had someone call from N-Power at 6.40 Friday evening (also in Moffats Lane).  He showed me a card and I just said 'no thank you' and he walked away but I wasn't happy about someone calling on me in the evening. 

On Monday's Tonight programme they were saying to be careful about signing anything on the doorstep encouraging you to change supplier

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2008, 07:14:11 am »
Hi Angel,

I think most of us can handle these situation. Like you, I said no thanks. My concern is for the elderly. My parents died a long time ago, but if they were still alive and living alone I wouldn't want two blokes calling on them at 7:30pm on a dark Friday night asking to see a copy of their latest fuel bill.

If this is legitimate, then companies calling door-to-door should perhaps post a note through the letter box a few days earlier warning people. Perhaps the note should contain a sticker that people can put on the door saying no thanks so they don't get disturbed.

David

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2008, 09:11:06 am »
  Perhaps the note should contain a sticker that people can put on the door saying no thanks so they don't get disturbed.
I have a note on my door saying 'Door to Door Sales, Please don't Ring' and a 'no entry' symbol, but it makes no difference. A recent visit by a power company salesman to my door got short shrift and he seemed most upset that I told him to go away! I know it's someone with a job to do and it's their companies that send them out, but if people want something, most people ask for it and don't want to be told! If the companies improved their image and advertising, that way they improve their chances of getting good new customers rather than the so called 'rate tarts' that flip and change suppliers at every turn which cannot be cost effective and as ever, it's us that end up paying for it in increased utility bills. I'm in credit on my gas bill by over £100, but the company are still increasing my direct debit to further line their pockets on an interest free loan from their customers - nice business!

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2008, 10:22:59 am »
Hi Angel,

I think most of us can handle these situation. Like you, I said no thanks. My concern is for the elderly. My parents died a long time ago, but if they were still alive and living alone I wouldn't want two blokes calling on them at 7:30pm on a dark Friday night asking to see a copy of their latest fuel bill.

I did think it wouldn't be nice for anyone much older than me to be cold called in the evening. 
I usually call through the door before opening it but I heard my porch door and thought it was my daughter coming home which is the only reason I opened the door in the first place.

It's not a good way to do business at all IMO

Tags: