Author Topic: Boy Racers  (Read 12520 times)

G.F_tassajara

Re: Boy Racers
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2004, 09:18:56 pm »
hi, just thought i would post... I work part time at Unwins and yes we try to make sure we ID check everyone we suspect of being underage, and if we can we will not sell alcohol to anyone thought of giving to under age persons but sometimes we can never know.
Also we do look out for drink drivers also.

otherwise10022003

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2004, 09:42:16 pm »
I live near the village and feel that the principle problem is that youngsters of a certain age do not have enough to do with their time.

Too young for pubs, too old to stay in.

Wasn't like this many years back, but it is nowadays.

O.T Wise

Stickler

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2004, 11:16:25 pm »
I am troubled by this advice from the Editor:

"Generalisations are probably best avoided."

Since this is itself a generalisation, should we ignore the advice contained therein?

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2004, 01:21:29 am »
I live near the village and feel that the principle problem is that youngsters of a certain age do not have enough to do with their time.

Too young for pubs, too old to stay in.

I appreciate this is a bit of a flame, but just out of interest:

(a) What 'activities' do you think should be available to fill these people's time and
(b) What are you willing to do to help make them happen?

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline supersonic

• Opinions on many things
  • Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2004, 01:43:45 am »
 (b) What are you willing to do to help make them happen?

Sharp - and proactive.
Nice one James!

supersonic

Offline Reginald

• Opinions on some things
  • Gunners fan
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2004, 12:32:43 pm »
The weather certainly brought the boys out again last night! I could almost  copy and paste the original posting in this subject. Why the 2 offenders had to squeal around all evening defies me. Still I suppose they can afford  new tyres every month.

Oh and when they had gone, Mr Plod turned up. And all he could be bothered with was finding out who owned a 4x4 truck that was parked on the path, and getting them to move it!!!! >:( >:(

Offline Margaret

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2004, 11:32:59 am »
Oh my! Not a 4 x 4! ;D

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2004, 07:20:31 pm »
Police have told parents to take more responsibility for their children if they allow them to use mopeds. In the latest neighbourhood watch newsletter the community police officer says parents must ensure that their children ride mopeds properly and that they are not putting themselves and others in danger.  More details.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2004, 09:58:05 pm »
On Sunday afternoon, at about 5 pm, two youngsters on scooters drove past us down Bluebridge Avenue towards the village. Both wore helmets and were displaying 'L' plates and both were riding their bikes without using their hands. Both scooters were blue. If any parents have youngsters who have scooters it might be worth having a word with them to suggest they use at least one hand when riding their motorbikes on the road.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2004, 01:23:01 am »
Sound like the same ones that were going around Bradmore Green about 10-11pm on Sunday - on the up side this time both hands were where they should have been, on the downside only one wheel was on the road  >:(

CWB

Advice for Boy Racers
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2004, 07:11:35 am »
Hi to all BR's,

Many cons and pros to being a boy racer:

The entire 'Boy racer' thing is very representitive of 'now' i.e It's is an accepted trend among youths. so you could say its fashionable.  

Another good thing, It opens the key to get birds at a young age, get laid ASAP and become popular with Other 'mindless individuals' who marvel at your scoring ability.

The thought of owning and driving a Saxo, C2, 106, Clio, Fiesta, Golf or Impreza is in no way glamorous or reputable or luxurious or charismatic or grandeur or FAST. A typical 'kit' car may have a massive tail pipe, a huge bodykit, rear spoilers, aprons, stickers, sporty foot pedals, and a loud engine, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE THE CAR GO ANY FASTER. It only generates more noise and pollution and mechanical malfunctions, The FACT still remains that you drive a cheap quality car with a miserly 1.1 litre engine, 'get over it mate'. Exactly what point are they trying to make??

On the other extreme, if that guy had a ferrari 612 scaglietti or a 911 carrera, or a lambourghini diabolo, then showing off has a reasonably passable excuse.

At 120 mph, a typical kitted Clio feels like a speedboat caught in a tsunami. Just what is so attractive about that??

The insurance is more expensive than the car itself.

Boy racers need to study:  RE in response to James' comment on how to find these kids something to do. It's very direct and simple.

Racing other yobs on the street, showing off your car, getting girls, impressing the opposite sex, acting all big, fighting, dossing around skiving lessons and trying to be cool, competitions like this are 'Not Essential'.

Just concentrate on things like ambition, career, progress, respect, integrity, traditions, motivation, aspiration, strong character, intelligence, and knowledge, these are the 'essentials'. You might think 'How sad, how boring, how conventional, how un- extreme, how anti 2004, how nerdy etc..... but believe me, You have to picture yourself 20 years ahead from now (at least). This is where the competition really matters.

Dave_Grohl

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2004, 05:38:33 pm »
Big up da scoota masiv!

It seems to me that whenever I get off the train at night, mainly in the summer, there always seem to be kids loitering on the village green.  This is generally acceptable, but when they start showing off to one another by racing around the roads on their scooters it becomes reckless and exceptionally dangerous.  They are putting themselves at risk but more importantly other people- pedestrians and other road users.

Also, they seem to use the grass as a football pitch.  With the ball regularly going into the road and landing on parked cars and more likely then not damaging them! Why can they not go to Gobions?  This is what I did when my friends wanted to play football.   They maybe there with the intention of just "chilling out".  But we must ask ourselves as a community what could this lead to?

Rant over.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2004, 06:09:09 pm »
Major problem with hanging around at Gobions at night is the lack of any sort of lighting. I can quite appreciate why young people choose to congregate in the village centre as it is lit and probably a lot safer for them to be there than in a field waaay off the beaten track. Doubt the residents of Moffats Lane/The Grove would be too thrilled at having teenagers using Gobions until late at night anyway...

I agree what you are saying about the footballs, scooters etc. Unfortunately with the police seemingly unwilling to take any action when phoned there appears to be little that can be done about it.

To the best of my knowledge there has not really been any trouble with congregating youths on the green since July, so hopefully it is a problem in the past anyway.

I would also once again ask - 'Are you prepared to work as part of the community to find these young people somewhere else to go or something else to do?'

James

Tags: