Author Topic: Boy Racers  (Read 12505 times)

Offline shads

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Boy Racers
« on: July 08, 2003, 12:24:05 pm »
Early Sunday evening i was sitting outside the Brookmans Park Hotel having a quiet pint with a friend when our peace and quiet was constantly being interupted by "boy racers"speeding past,revving their engines,screeching their tyres and blasting out loud music.There were 4 different cars that sped past and i really felt like taking their number plates and publishing them on this site as just to make people aware of their selfess and reckless behavior.
Surely some of these "kids" still live at home and i bet their parents wouldn't be too happy to read about their off spring causing a nuisance in the village

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
Re: Boy Racers
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 12:53:18 pm »
From my experiences Sat/Sun I can assure you that the parents of these juveniles could not care less one way or another. The are fully aware and proud of their offsprings behaviour.
Unfortunately they would laugh at the police because when you work it out no nickable offence has been commited, they are not neccasarily speeding, the noise is below standards, reving engines and "music"is subjective and skidding, well unless it causes an accident is just a mistake.
Its their human rights enit.
Sad but thats how it is............
regards,
jet
« Last Edit: July 08, 2003, 12:54:33 pm by jet »

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 12:55:11 pm »
but it does get you angry enough to want to take the law into your own hands.........

Offline Reginald

• Opinions on some things
  • Gunners fan
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2003, 03:03:52 pm »
 >:( I must have been sitting next to Shads and did not know it! Forthe past 2 Sundays this has been the norm. Sundays culprit was a young lad with 3 mates in a car which probably belonged to mum who is now driving around on slicks!!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2003, 06:13:04 pm by admin »

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2003, 03:19:24 pm »
the driver was showing off to his mates and the girls hanging round the green,and i know for a fact most of those came up from Potters Bar as i've seen them loitering around there also and they all got off a train together and walked past us
« Last Edit: July 08, 2003, 06:14:08 pm by admin »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2003, 06:19:43 pm »
When posting about cars please avoid mentioning the make, colour and part of the registration. This is so that those driving vehicles with similar features are not singled out.
Thank you
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2003, 06:23:51 pm »
but i do prefer the name and shame way forward and if they are not prepared to be named they should not do it in the first place....lets see how tough they are then

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2003, 06:28:42 pm »
Sorry Shads, but this site does not support so-called 'name and shame' campaigns. This is clearly set out in the agreement all forum members signed up to when joining and it is also set out in the site's editorial guidelines. Links to both are provided below.

Forum Agreement
Editorial Guidelines

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2003, 08:41:08 pm »
I would suggest the best way is to e mail car and reg details to the crime web line detailed elsewhere on this site. That way enough complaints will ensure a police visit.
I will be reporting every serious breach of the law I see from now on.
regards,
jet

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2003, 09:31:32 pm »
As someone who both enjoys sitting outside the Brookmans (on a bench not in a revving car!) and lives looking out over the village I totally agree with Shads and JET.

More unbelievable and irritating, are these mopeds - demonic lawnmowers  - which screech around the village all eveing / day.  Most of these kids do laps, pull skids etc, in shorts and t-shirts with no helmets on - one day I'm going to go outin my car and deliberatelt run them over to prove to them the error of their ways (that's a joke by the way - just in case one of them does ever hit me...)

Don't they realise how dangerous it is - biking is dangerous anyway and they should realsie this.  The problem with these mopeds is that you can ride them on a car license so never have bike training to tell them how easy it will be for them to be maimed / killed if they ride like this.

It will take someone in a car to be driving out of the end of Brookmans Avenue to kill someone before they learn to dress / ride properly.

Personally I will have more pity for the poor person who hits them for the guilt they get at no fault of their own.

and I pity Neville since one of them is going to go through Windsors wall at some point.   ;D

Aidan

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2003, 05:31:02 pm »
For the passed few months I have elected to keep quiet as I am running a business in the area and as such I should not have opinions as they would be bound to upset someone somewhere, but I thought that as a motorcyclist I would add this.
Before anyone is allowed to ride a motorcycle or moped on the road, they have to pass the CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) test. During the compulsory training, you are taught about riding safely, wearing the correct clothes, the law relating to motorbikes and how to ride them. You then have to take a theory and practical test so you can obtain your CBT certificate allowing you to be legal on the road with L plates.
SO, either these youngsters do not have CBT certs or they are fed up with living and dont like their skin much! I would go on, but, as I said earlier, I work here and therefore cannot express myself!
Aiden, you are right, it will not be long!
AND AS FOR THE LITTER AROUND MY OFFICE, WELLL!!!!

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2003, 12:23:23 am »
If I recall correctly, are you not allowed to ride for up to two years without having done the test? Most of the motorcycles/mopeds I see certainly seem to have L plates.

Would agree completely with Aiden about the noise late at night around the village centre. Am tempted to sometimes film them breaking the law (no helmets, on pavements, no lights, multiple people riding etc) but unsure if I would get in trouble for violating someone elses rights by filming them without permission or something like that.... any ideas anyone?
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2003, 12:58:31 am »
Yes Take reg. numbers and contact Plod.
If we get on Plods nerves perhaps they will attend.
regards,
jet

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2003, 02:27:30 am »
<resigned mode>
Is that the same plod that seem to take an average of two hours to respond when I have reported antisocial behaviour by motorcyclists in the past? The last time I tried reporting something by phoning the Hatfield Police Station, I was kept on hold for 17 minutes before I spoke to someone who just took a message and said they would try (note not they would) to send someone out to have a look. This was at about 3pm on a Sunday afternoon, trying to report some motorbikes going around and churning up a school playing field.

I know it's not a high priority for them - it's not as if violent crime is being commited for example, but a lot of the kids know that they can get away with nearly anything because the police are unwilling or unable to do anything about it
</resigned mode>

James
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 02:29:57 am by James_Bentall »
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2003, 12:38:37 pm »
James,
You are allowed to ride for up to 2 years on L plates and then you must take a driving test or re-take your CBT - I think that is correct - passed mine in 1997.

biffo

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2003, 09:16:27 pm »
>:(Forgive me if im wrong but was it this Government that said one of its policy's was to clamp down on anti-social behavior? Anyway to my mind if you dont report these incidents to the police then how can you expect anything to be done about it ? This has probably been said a million times before but what happened to respect? Kids today have no respect for themselves let alone the police, who I must say have a thankless task to do(I am very glad I was not tall enough to join when I was 18). Why dont the civilian staff of the police be tasked with dealing with teenage anti-social behavior and report the incident to the parents, if no improvement is made then the parents are fined.

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2003, 02:32:50 pm »
One i also noticed was that a lot of these kids are going into Unwins and buying "alcopops"which obviously combined with thier hormones and total lack of respect for anyone else gives them the right to act like complete ar*eholes
I would also like to know how many of these drinks are passed on to kids under 18.
Where this is not the fault of the retailer as the guy purchasing them is probably of legal age i would be intersested to know how many get passed on to under age kids and how many are riding their scooters \mopeds under the influence.

Offline Reginald

• Opinions on some things
  • Gunners fan
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2003, 12:20:36 pm »
Very quiet evening sitting outside BPH last night! Perhaps Mummy & Daddy read this website and have grounded the little maniacs..... ;)

biffo

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2003, 11:01:39 pm »
Perhaps Mummy & Daddy were sitting in the BPH watching the little *******.
So do you think we have seen the last of them or perhaps they are now terrorising the Greek Islands or the Ballerics (which is where the little darlings need kicking!!! ???)

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2003, 05:19:58 pm »
i've been having a rethink about what to do with the nuisance boy racers and suicidal scooter riders.
If everytime these people decide to disturb our peace take down the number plate of the offending vehicle and e-mail it to our local policeman(mihailovic)with also a cc to either the local council or local politician.
If enough people complain then the law will be reqired to act against these people without we the good residents of Brookmans Park getting our hands dirty.
Perhaps the Editor could publish the relevant E mail addresses to send our mails to.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2004, 09:11:59 am by admin »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2003, 05:32:44 pm »
Hertfordshire Police has a page giving details of how to report crimes. Click here This is probably the best way to report non-urgent crimes. I am afraid I don't know the community police officer's e-mail address, it is not given out in any of the Herts Police pages. However the page above has details of phone numbers for all areas. The local police station in Hatfield is 01707-638100 and the community police officer can be contacted on 01707-638112. More details on this page.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 11:21:44 pm by admin »

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2003, 02:31:12 pm »
Just seen the latest newsletter and it seems that the message has finally filtered through to our local constabulary regarding these menaces.............just goes to prove that if enough people make a fuss the authorities have to listen and do something

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2004, 08:55:30 pm »
Police have warned young drivers to turn off their engines and turn down the volume when parked in the village at night. Cars could be seized if they don't. Click here for more details.

Offline trinity

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2004, 07:08:27 pm »
On the subject of antisocial behaviour in vehicles - what about hat pillock who hands out the "News" free-sheets. Parked on the grass just before the railway bridge with his engine running.

That he's probably blowing more in fuel than he gets for handing the things out is his problem. But it doesn't do the grass or the atmosphere any good.

Ideally, he'd either need to pipe the exhaust back into the car, or get pushed down the slope. But aside from that, is he actually committing an offence ?

boy_racer1

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2004, 08:20:14 pm »
As the name sugests I am one of the little ******* as u call us. Would use my real name but as every one else is hidding behind nick names I dont see the need.

I find it very sad that the art of communication has come to slagging people off on an internet site. My reason for posting is to correct a few facts u have wrong!!

The teenagers that hang around the village in cars or on foot on the whole all live in this village wich may come as a suprize to most of u. Yes we do sit in the village at night with the engines on (not revving them, not with them on to annoy people) but as im shure i dont need to tell u it gets quite cold outside and those of you who drive will know the heating only works with the engine on. As for the music we keep it to what we consider a reasonable volume(but as no one has ever come out and said any thing to us we got used to that volume being ok).

As for wheel spins and mopeds neither me nor any other of my fellow boy racers I have spoken to accept responsibility for them.

now all that is out of the way

Jet I would love to know when u met me or my family and how u know for a fact my parents dont care and are proud of me being accused of these things.

Shads be careful before taking the law in to ur own hands.

well its been emotional

till next time
peace
xx

big shout to all the brookmans mandem   
« Last Edit: March 03, 2004, 08:58:37 am by admin »

Offline trinity

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2004, 11:30:17 pm »
As the name sugests I am one of the little ******* as u call us.  

Given the general level of spelling, grammar and other faux pas in that little missive, I suspect that the "********" stands for "semi-literates".

I was under the (obviously mistaken) impression that Hertfordshire was supposed to have decent schools. Either this isn't the case, or those schools are wasting their time. In which case surely it would be more efficient to turf out these "boy racers" and leave room for kids who'll make better use of all this taxpayers' money that is otherwise going down the drain.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2004, 12:35:03 am by trinity »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2004, 11:41:28 pm »
It is an offense as well as offensive to the environment to run a car engine when stationary, unless stopped for lights etc.
The music can be offensive, do it outside my house and you will be asked to turn it down.
Anyone old enought to drive a car is no longer a child. They have taken on an adult  responsibility.
Lots of parents in this village are very indulgent towards their offspring, so what, it matters nought to me, there is no pride in using something unearnt.
There are a few so called boy racers who do not realise how silly they look and how badly they demonstrate their inability to safely drive within the law. Of course they impress the mindless but to the rest of us they appear very sad.
As for bullying, driving in a dangerous manner and larging it is a form of bullying, carried out by people who feel the need to surround themselves in a ton of steel to impress.
Strange that there are no girl racers, well not really they obviously have better things to do.
Now realise that your antics are being tollerated by decent people who are not afraid of you but just cannot be bothered to get down to your level.
In other words wise up and grow up, because the next generation of boy racers could kill you or your loved ones with their childish antics.
regards,
jet

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2004, 09:32:21 am »
A couple of the posts in this thread have had minor edits made to them in order to remove phrases which could be interpreted as being inflammatory or offensive. A personal insult was also removed. Generalisations are probably best avoided.

Please continue to use either this thread if you want to discuss youths using cars and motorbikes in the village, or the renamed ‘Youths on the Streets’ thread, if you want to discuss gangs of youths gathering in the village.

Could new forum members please not start new threads on these issues. Two duplicate threads have been locked or removed in an attempt to keep topic discussion together. We make such edits in an effort to keep themes together and on topic, not to restrict people having their say on issues that concern them.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 03, 2004, 09:56:54 am by admin »

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2004, 10:25:15 am »
boy racer 1 the reason i started this thread was because someone racing around the village nearly ran over my wife and kids,  and when it comes to my family,i'm afraid my blood begins to boil..............now how would you feel if it was the other way round.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2004, 10:41:22 am by shads »

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2004, 01:35:18 am »
Soz but boyracer, please explain this. If you live in the village and its cold outside then wouldn't it make more sense for you and your mates to go back and hang at yours or at least somewhere warm. I always thought a car was a form of transport to get you from A to B. So from a cold location to a nice warm location. Or am I mssing something?

The other thing, it may be very sad slagging people off on a website. So whats your reason for joining in? Your just as sad as us now.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 01:40:54 am by Mooniemad »

Tags: