Author Topic: Teenage learner drivers  (Read 9820 times)

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
Teenage learner drivers
« on: May 27, 2008, 02:52:11 pm »
Can anyone out there help me with any info on the most cost-effective way of getting a teenager insured to learn to drive a car?

I have just spent the most infuriating half-hour on the phone with my own insurance company and have come away none the wiser   >:(   

My first question is - is there an optimum engine size for the purposes of insuring a teenager? eg 1.2?

Also, presuming the 'supermini' category is the largest which insurers will consider for teens (or is it?), do they look more kindly on the models which have scored highly in the Euro NCAP?

Lastly, I will be sharing whatever car we get with aforementioned teen, so presume the best way is to put him on my insurance for a while?

All and any info welcomed, thank you   :)    but any companies' names you'd like to share with me must come through IM so as to comply with the Forum rules.

Offline Birch

• Opinions on many things
  • I am God (no really!)
Re: Teenage learner drivers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 03:45:40 pm »
Can anyone out there help me with any info on the most cost-effective way of getting a teenager insured to learn to drive a car?

Yeah, get the teenager to get a job and pay for the insurance themselves...

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 04:56:34 pm »
When we went through this, after a lot of research I cancelled my existing policy and took out another with my wife and teenage son as named drivers.  My son did pay for the difference in cost, by the way.

The only way to do this is checking out prices as it's quite a volatile market.  This may not be the cheapest way now, and it does mean he isn't building up his own no claims bonus.  And don't assume that 3rd party only is cheaper than Fully Comp - amazingly it is sometimes the other way round!

Basically you can find an insurer to insure a teenager in any car, but you'll pay for it.  All cars are classified by insurance group so you need the lowest.  These are based upon costs of replacement, parts and repair.  Consequently smaller engined, more basic cars are generally cheaper.

Have a look here to get an idea...

http://www.parkers.co.uk/insurance/

Good luck.

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 06:24:55 pm »
Also take notice of the excess as the cheapest policy could have the highest excess and might not be good vfm

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 07:14:15 pm »
Thanks to everyone who has contributed such helpful suggestions, both in the thread and through the IM  :)

I now have plenty of good ideas to work on   ;D

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 12:46:51 pm »
Mine teens were insured with Tesco initially as named drivers - they were the cheapest.  When I suggested my eldest started his own policy to start building up a NCD he got discount for having been a named driver on my policy.

;)
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline Oly

• Well, I say
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 10:48:34 pm »
I started on a 1.2 ltr ford fiesta, my insurance was in my own name for 2000 third party fire and theft (Provisional licence) and that was in 2002 when I was 17, they were the days.
A lot of insurance firms now offer NCD to named drivers, but some are fussy so its a case of contacting them.
Have you tried confused.com? Shop around, I got stung for 600 TPFT on a 1.6 liter fiesta even with 4 years NCD and no im not a boy racer, I just have a boy racer style car lol.
I would suggest someting around a 1-1.2 liter car to start with.

Tags: